Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Here is why OLD SCHOOL is the best comedy in the last 13 years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw Old School last night & it is flat out the BEST comedy made in the past 13-15 years. Why do I say that you may ask? B/c I feel hollywood does not know how to make good comedies any more. For me , almost all of the classic comedies, the one's that are the most innocent & funniest came from the 1980s, National Lampoon's, Stripes(my all-time favorite comedy), Real Genius, Fletch, Caddychack, Ghostbusters, Revenge of the Nerds (the first one) I can go on & on.

Those comedies were so great b/c they relied on the actors & their & wit & dialogue, rather than gross out humor & physical humor(i.e. the loathsome Jim Carrey). Old School is well, old school & uses this same formula. Sure there are bits of over the top physical humor
Spoiler:
the cinder block tied to the weiner scene, the ending
but what makes this movie an instant classic are the lines from Vaughn & Ferrel & the surprisingly well played straight man of Wilson. Vaughn & Ferrel for the first time on screen are to people that remind me of Chevy Chase & Bill Murray in their prime. You can tell they add-libbed a ton of lines in this movie. And it was their simple delivery of them that had me peeing my pants laughing. This movie, felt in every way to me, well, except the Snoop Dog part, like an 1980s comedy. And for me, that's the highest compliment I can give a comedy. Everyone go see this movie, it's an instant classic, & if you don't find this funny, well, I feel really bad for you.
Old 02-22-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
One man's quality aged steak is another man's butcher's 99 cent special quality dog meat.
Old 02-22-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

13 years? That's a pretty bold statement.
Old 02-22-03, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would have to agree

vince and wil were fukkin hilarious
Old 02-22-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Negative. why is there so many

"This is why _____ is the best/better then so-and-so" threads?

So you liked it.. cool, there is already a thread about the actual movie. why shill it out some more?
Old 02-22-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Negative. So you liked it.. cool, there is already a thread about the actual movie. why shill it out some more?
Well lord jack let me explain why:

1 B/C I must have missed the email that you got that said we are only aloud to have 1 thread per movie from now on, in an OPEN INTERNET FORUM PURELY MADE FOR PEOPLE TO DISCUSS THEIR LOVE OF MOVIES. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of threads that are in this forum, merely 2 of them about a newly released big & relevant movie exist, & you think that is too many, you may have some issues there.

2 B/c I realized there was a thread about the movie already. But it is mostly of people just talking about their favorite parts of the movie. I wanted to discuss the specific reasons why I feel this movie is a rare throwback to the great comedies of the past, & why this movie is different from the over decade long drought of mundane comedies we've had. Whether people agree or disagree, that is the point of this thread which involves a decade + of comedy, rather than just people posting "Just got back from Old School, that part where Farrel is drunk & there are boobs rules!".

You don't want to discuss the subject of this thread, that's totally cool. But there is no need to play moderator jack as I see you often do, & crap in someone elses thread. Plus since you clearly don't want it to be hear, you now have bumped it up twice, rather than let it fizzle away.

I apoligize for this rant, I hate & rarely do this, but psudo-moderators are the one thing that urks me.
Old 02-22-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Sessa17

1) B/C I must have missed the email that you got that said we are only aloud to have 1 thread per movie from now on, in an OPEN INTERNET FORUM PURELY MADE FOR PEOPLE TO DISCUSS THEIR LOVE OF MOVIES.

It's called spaming the forum. Notice why we close a thread if their is two threads with the same discussion? It's to save space so instead of Thousands of threads, half of which are repeating topics, we have only those hundreds you speak of.. My suggestion:
= Your friend.

Hell, you really don't even have to look through a search, it's still on the first page.

2) B/c I realized there was a thread about the movie already. But it is mostly of people just talking about their favorite parts of the movie. I wanted to discuss the specific reasons why I feel this movie is a rare throwback to the great comedies of the past, & why this movie is different from the over decade long drought of mundane comedies we've had. Whether people agree or disagree, that is the point of this thread which involves a decade + of comedy, rather than just people posting "Just got back from Old School, that part where Farrel is drunk & there are boobs rules!".
So.. read the bold words.. isn't that the same thing. Both things could have been discussed in the same lines. My views differ. I thought the movie was just another flick that would pass by without any notice come a few months. Like Van Wilder, the whole college set comedies have gotten old to me and I felt this film was good, but I would not call it the flood of comedy that comes after a 13+ year drought .

I apoligize for this rant, I hate & rarely do this, but psudo-moderators are the one thing that urks me.
But by doing this and expressing my feelings to yet another thread about the same subject and a simple "this is why this movie owns all others", that is a discussion.. you did say you wanted that
OPEN INTERNET FORUM PURELY MADE FOR PEOPLE TO DISCUSS THEIR LOVE OF MOVIES
You should stop the double standard by complaining about the opposite views. You open yourself for a flame with the comments "best comedy in 13 years" because you are expressing a view like if it was facts. Express your views, thats perfectly fine. Just make sure you don't step on other shoes like you did because it will lead to fights just like this.

Also, further note that I was not trying to sound like a "Mod". I'm not trying to become a psudo-nazi governing what is posted. But to go into a forum and state that "____ IS THE BEST COMEDY EVER!!!" and anything to that extent, it will be like going to the main forum and saying VHS RULES ALL!!! they are comments that will get a lot of attention, most of the attention you will not like and will disagree with you. My comments are such that. I do not agree that OLD SCHOOL is the best comedy in the last 13 years. Check out Under Cover brother, comedy, check out any of the coen brothers films. comedy. their is soooo much comedy out their and just because you disliked them and felt old school was better doesn't mean people can't disagree. My post was one of those disagreements. It's part of life, discussing. taking opposite view points and defending them. Calling me a Psudo mod wannabe is no way to defend your case and your statements of OLD SCHOOL being all that you felt it was. Seems more like an easy way out of an discussion.

Let me tell you one thing. Just because two people differ in view point doesn't mean that it will effect them being civil. I disagree with pretty much 99.99999% of what PANTS says in his post and I'm still going to see a movie with him this week. I disagree with Trigger, yet I'm still cool with him. You have to seperate the two fields and be able to take what you are dishing.

carry on.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 02-22-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 09:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Better than The Big Lebowski? I doubt it.
Old 02-23-03, 12:01 AM
Banned

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

:backs away:

Discuss.
Old 02-23-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
How about a name change?

jackskeleton ---> Lord Jack
Old 02-23-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pure friggin' class here! Best comdy in the last

years
Old 02-23-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who wants to up the anty and say it's the best comedy in film History?
Old 02-23-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Who wants to up the anty and say it's the best comedy in film History?
better than Good Burger? Surely you jest.
Old 02-23-03, 10:40 PM

FRANK THE TANK!!!!
Old 02-24-03, 01:16 AM
Cool New Member

kind of off topic, but does anyone know the who plays the student body president? thanks

and to get back on topic...

I loved the movie, one of the best comedies to come out these past "2" years . The comedic moments were hilarious, though I wish there were more of them.
Old 02-24-03, 04:02 AM

her name would be sara tanaka. she can also be seen in the movie rushmore.
Old 02-24-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Better than The Big Lebowski? I doubt it.
I double that doubt and raise you Clerks.
Old 02-24-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DVDjunkie78
I double that doubt and raise you Clerks.
Well it has been 9 years since clerks.
Old 02-24-03, 08:59 AM

Meets the parents is 13 years old, wow I must be aging!
Old 02-24-03, 09:01 AM

I saw Old School this weekend, and it was funny. I'm not sure I can say it was funnier than other movies made in the past few years.

Vince Vaughn reminded me somewhat of his role in Swingers, where he's kind of a big brother who tries to help his friends out. He does a great job delivering his lines with a solid, straight face. Will Ferrel was funny, but sometimes he just goes too far and instead of being funny it's just stupid.

It was a comedy which didn't need the extreme sexual or gross humor to make it funny. When it comes out on DVD, it will be added to my collection.

Elisa Cuthbert was a BONUS!
Old 02-24-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought Old School was very average. Most of the funny parts were in the preview, so there was not much new. Also, some of the situations (Ferrell and wife, Wilson and bosses' daughter) were unresolved at the end. I just didn't laugh very much throughout this movie and it ended up being another Road Trip/Scary Movie-type flick which resorted to potty humor to get laughs.
Old 02-24-03, 12:44 PM
Banned

Movies from the last 13 years that are WAY better than Old School:

1. The Big Liebowski
2. LA Story
3. Groundhog Day
4. High Fidelity
5. Rushmore
6. Office Space

Even Van Wilder was better than this turd.

Last edited by Pants; 02-24-03 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-24-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Never saw the Big Liebowski, but the remaining flicks are among my favourites [and I can't even stand LA ].

I have to say though, in this age of "gross out" comedies, Old School was better than I expected. And I do see what Sessa17 was talking about regarding it being a throwback to the old 80s college flicks..

And you also have to remember, while Old School wasn't necessarily "low brow" humour, I consider the aforementioned flicks to be in a different category since IMO they're more "cerebral".

If you know what I mean...
Old 02-24-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I think it maybe tried to be a throwback, but the great thing about the 80's college and HS comedies is that they had funny characters. Other than Will Ferrell, I did not think there was anyone funny in this movie.
Old 02-24-03, 01:31 PM
Banned

NO ONE was funny in this movie. That's why it stunk

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.