Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
29.73%
23.65%
25.00%
10.81%
4.73%
0.68%
0%
0%
0%
0.68%
0.68%
A movie about Facebook...srsly?
4.05%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Old 10-04-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: The Social Network (Fincher, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Oh and I'm considering deactivating my Facebook account now. Didn't think I would have that reaction but I do.

Why would you do that? Zuckerburg strike you as that much of a douche?
Old 10-04-10, 11:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Agreed!! I learned just Saturday morning the one actor played the two brothers and that definitely upped my rating. Still, for me, the weakest link in the film was Timbertake. Just wish they had someone else play that role. Last, how cool would it be to see Reznor win an Oscar? Has the guy even won a Grammy? Has he even been nominated?? With a gazillion categories each year, I can't even remember. I know he hasn't won anything. Worst awards ever.
from wikipedia:
NIN has been nominated for twelve Grammy Awards and won twice for the songs "Wish" and "Happiness in Slavery", in 1992 and 1995 respectively.

I remember an interview where Reznor laughed at the fact that a song with the term "fist fuck" won a Grammy.
Old 10-04-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw it last night and it was great. I absolutely love Sorkin dialogue. And I know it's been mentioned before and it might seem cliche to say it now, but I really could've watched 1 more hour of the movie.

Hard to believe that one of the roommates who ended up being chief programmer was the same annoying kid in Jurassic Park.
Old 10-04-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

great movie....while it was well written, the dialogue at times was a bit too quippy, ala Diablo Cody's Juno script. Have no real complaints though, a likely top 10 film of 2010.
Old 10-04-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why would you do that? Zuckerburg strike you as that much of a douche?
I've changed my opinion on it. Not so much about Zuckerberg but about the whole founding of Facebook. Sean Parker was a bigger douche than Zuckerberg could ever be.

I wanted to add that I didn't like how the movie foretold too much. I didn't mind Parker talking about being a billionaire but other things like "being the next Bill Gates" or Justin Timberlake talking about making enemies at the Grammys. It didn't work for me and came off unintentionally? comedic.
Old 10-04-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
....while it was well written, the dialogue at times was a bit too quippy, ala Diablo Cody's Juno script.
I absolutely agree with this.
Old 10-05-10, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After all the hype, I couldn't help but be just a little bit disappointed. But still one of the best of the year.

Could have done with more girls kissing.
Old 10-05-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This link has a pretty interesting roundtable discussion with Fincher/Sorkin/cast plus a nice piece on the sound design of the film...

http://fincherfanatic.blogspot.com/
Old 10-05-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't give two shits about facebook, but I really enjoyed this damn film!
Old 10-05-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got back from my second viewing and noticed a couple small things
- The first time Mark types Facebook (while writing on his blog) it pops up as a misspelled word
- Justin Timberlake looks like the Devil when he's talking with Mark in the club and telling the Victoria's Secret story. He has highlights in his hair on the side of his forehead that maxed with the lighting makes it look like horns.
- When Mark is running through campus at the beginnning he runs past a guy playing the violin, the music treats this guy's violin as a solo, keeping the beat perfectly underneath.

I don't see how Jesse Eisenberg and either Justin Timberlake or Andrew Garfield don't get nominated. The Sean Parker role could've easily been campy but JT brings his personal style and just nails it.
Old 10-05-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody trolled the poll and gave it zero stars.
Old 10-05-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm stilll waiting to see an intellecutally written flat out negative review.
Old 10-05-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07

I don't see how Jesse Eisenberg and either Justin Timberlake or Andrew Garfield don't get nominated. The Sean Parker role could've easily been campy but JT brings his personal style and just nails it.
If Justin Timberlake gets nominated for an Oscar for his performance in this film, then the Academy Awards just turned into the MTV Movie Awards. Because he was serviceable at best. Way out of his league compared to the others. Not to mention any other supporting actor in other films. IMO that is.
Old 10-06-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great movie....while it was well written, the dialogue at times was a bit too quippy, ala Diablo Cody's Juno script.
Sorkin has always been good at this kind of dialogue and I think it works here because most College age kids talk like that - seriously. It was nowhere near the cutesy over the top level of Cody's dialogue.
Old 10-07-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I also don't give a shit about Facebook, but this was a great film.

The acting was good, the dialogue was great, and I wish it had been about 30 minutes longer.

I thought it ended too abruptly.

I have to see this again.

I was also wondering why the Radiohead "Creep" song by some other group (choir) in the trailer is not on the soundtrack.

Anybody know where you can get that version of the song?

Nevermind. It's by Scala and has just recently been made available for digital download.

Last edited by Throwing Copper; 10-07-10 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Sorkin has always been good at this kind of dialogue and I think it works here because most College age kids talk like that - seriously. It was nowhere near the cutesy over the top level of Cody's dialogue.
Really? Because I'm 24, have attended a university the past 4 years, and haven't experienced conversation like that because people don't speak that way, even "intellectuals". Very few people can make quick witted and glib remarks on the spot like that, it's easy when you have time to sit down and write it out.
Old 10-07-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the dialogue was more Mamet than Cody. That and I actually don't think Cody's dialogue is a negative like so many do.
Old 10-07-10, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? Because I'm 24, have attended a university the past 4 years, and haven't experienced conversation like that because people don't speak that way, even "intellectuals". Very few people can make quick witted and glib remarks on the spot like that, it's easy when you have time to sit down and write it out.
ehhhh...it just depends. Where I am, I'm surround by such individuals. And I myself am a witty fucker.
Old 10-07-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very good movie, but not the amazing masterpiece that everyone is claiming. The first thing I said after viewing it was that I have no real desire to see it again. But it kept my rapt attention and I enjoyed the character studies. But why did the Zuckerberg character never smile once during the entire movie, yet in every pic I see of him online he's beaming ear-to-ear? Seemed a bit too obvious that they were trying to make him far more unlikeable than he probably really is.
Old 10-07-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
But why did the Zuckerberg character never smile once during the entire movie, yet in every pic I see of him online he's beaming ear-to-ear? Seemed a bit too obvious that they were trying to make him far more unlikeable than he probably really is.
I haven't seen the movie yet (but definately will at least rent the dvd) and have a facebook account (but dont really care about it) but supposedly he's been with his current girlfriend since they were at harvard. That they would try to make him come off like some kind of antisocial weirdo incapable of having a long term relationship rubs me the wrong way. In the interviews with fincher and sorkin they keep stressing the big, dramatic aspects of the story...why not just do a fictional movie?

Again, I know its bad to criticize things you haven't seen, but I've read up a lot only because of my love for trent reznor's music. It doesn't seem like a very accurate portrayal of a man (and if you are just trying to tell a certain story, why not just make it fiction?)
Old 10-07-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Man, I loved this film. It just felt frenetic and just right. Such a well made, well written and well acted film. A treat to watch. I'm sure it's overhyped but honestly, it's my favorite film in several years. The rare film I want to watch again the minute it ended. And I usually HATE Aaron Sorkin's writing.
Old 10-08-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt925
I haven't seen the movie yet (but definately will at least rent the dvd) and have a facebook account (but dont really care about it) but supposedly he's been with his current girlfriend since they were at harvard. That they would try to make him come off like some kind of antisocial weirdo incapable of having a long term relationship rubs me the wrong way. In the interviews with fincher and sorkin they keep stressing the big, dramatic aspects of the story...why not just do a fictional movie?

Again, I know its bad to criticize things you haven't seen, but I've read up a lot only because of my love for trent reznor's music. It doesn't seem like a very accurate portrayal of a man (and if you are just trying to tell a certain story, why not just make it fiction?)

The film is not a bio-pic.

It's loosely based on Mezrich's The Accidental Billionaires. Which in and of itself is loosely based on the Zuckerberg/Facebook saga. The film itself is more a black comedy and a wildly dramatized version of the actual events.
Old 10-08-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ehhhh...it just depends. Where I am, I'm surround by such individuals. And I myself am a witty fucker.
Dreams and reality are two different things Snake

(I'm clearly the next Sorkin with that retort)

But seriously, no one does unless you have a prepared conversation and have practiced and prepped for what you're going to say. For example George Carlin; legend. As quick a wit as there's ever been...on the stage. If you've seen interviews with him he's a soft spoken guy who carefully chooses his words...not the clever, rapid fire remarks you see in movies like The Social Network.
Old 10-08-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Tarantino, Mamet, Sorkin, Allen ... these people aren't famous for making "real sounding" convos. Though I have also met my fair share of quick witted, fast talking college kids. Most are on something.
Old 10-14-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i went to see this early in the week and i enjoyed the hell out of it. Well written, directed and generally acted. The soundtrack by Trent Reznor was also incredible. I thought that Inception was a shoe in for the Oscar, but actually think i would rather see the Social Network soundtrack win instead. I am not a big fan of Jesse Eisenberg, but i thought he did a very good job in the movie and along with a solid performance from Andrew Garfield should probably have a chance at an Oscar. JT as Sean Parker was better than i anticipated, but i get the feeling that being in a movie of such high quality with a director as focused as Fincher it made him up his game a bit. The dialogue in the movie i found to have the right balance between telling a great story and adding in elements of humor whilst maintaining a solid pace without boring the audience. I still think that Fight Club is Finchers best, but this is a close second. This movie along with Inception have been the highlights of the year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.