Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some good unfilmed scripts?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i first heard about Alien Vs. Predator's greenlight, I was confused - I always thought there was a script finished, waiting to be filmed. I was half right; Peter Briggs had indeed written a script, based on the comic series, but the film was going to use a new story by Paul Anderson (The most untalented, unimaginitive hack that has ever cursed Hollywood).

Since then I've become more interested in scripts that could have become great, but never got the chance. Ridley Scott's adaptation of Matheson's I Am Legend. Kevin Smith's Superman Lives. Roger Rabbit in Toon Platoon. David Lynch's Ronnie Rocket. And, lately, Harlan Ellison's apparently brilliant I, Robot.

Anyone else know about films that could have been great, but blew up on the launch pad, so to speak? Anyone read any of these scripts, or even better, does anyone know where they can be found (for free if possible)? I'd loveto read the Lynch and Ellsion scripts. Also, if you could find the script for Sherlock Holmes and the Revenge Of Dracula, I'd be your best friend.

I'd love to hear what you had to say.
Old 03-12-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: What are some good unfilmed scripts?

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
David Lynch's Ronnie Rocket.
That's the first one that came to mind.

I'd like to see what Terry Gilliam can do with it.
Old 03-12-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tarantino's version of Natural Born Killers, I hear its really good, where can i find a copy of it?
Old 03-12-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Romero's Resident Evil.
Old 03-12-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Tarantino's version of Natural Born Killers, I hear its really good, where can i find a copy of it?
I read some of it - it's published - in Borders' the other day.

It's alright. Nothing inspired though. Almost like a first draft of True Romance in some places.
Old 03-12-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Romero's Resident Evil.
Ohh yeah...dammit why didn't THAT movie get made? What's with taking potentially good films and giving htem to Paul Anderson?
Old 03-12-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of these unproduced scripts are not made for good reasons, Smith's Superman script is garbage, so fanboy it isnt even funny and I saw some of Romero's Resident Evil game commercials in Japan and they were cheesy as hell, people tend to forget that the Resident Evil movie that was made stayed super faithful to the game, any problems people have with it should take it up with the source material.
Old 03-12-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was supposedly a cop film script that Tarantino wrote for John Woo but Woo turned it down.
Old 03-12-04, 05:18 PM

Kevin Smith's Superman Lives
I completely disagree. I'm glad that movie never got made.
Old 03-12-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i read the resident evil script. it wasn't bad but it was nothing special on paper. so i wouldn't call it a "good" or certainly not a great script. but it probably would of been a whole lot better then what we actually got, that is for sure.

and from a hazey memory, harosa, i completely disagree. a huge chunk of the game takes place in a mansion, where as the movie is placed in a mansion for about 5 mintues. sure it had the tyrant, zombies, and zombie dogs, but i wouldn't go so far as to call it "Super faithful."
Old 03-12-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by harosa
... people tend to forget that the Resident Evil movie that was made stayed super faithful to the game, any problems people have with it should take it up with the source material.
By that logic, I can easily write a script based mostly on Cameron's Aliens, and as long as I mention that there's a mansion, Atlanta burning, a suave guy named Rhett and a fussy black maid... I could call it Gone WIth The Wind.

Anderson's script is very, very poor.

As for Superman Lives, I've never read it. I hear from several people on the net that it is excellent (some who don't even like Smith), and the same amount of people look at it with hatred. There's also a number of fake scripts on the net that have been attributed to Smith, so I wonder if people are reading the same one...
Old 03-12-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Anyone read any of these scripts, or even better, does anyone know where they can be found (for free if possible)? I'd loveto read the Lynch and Ellsion scripts.
The Lynch screenplays for Ronnie Rocket and One Saliva Bubble:

http://www.lynchnet.com/upfilms.html
Old 03-12-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: What are some good unfilmed scripts?

Originally posted by William Fuld
The Lynch screenplays for Ronnie Rocket and One Saliva Bubble:

http://www.lynchnet.com/upfilms.html
Thank you!
Old 03-12-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Re: What are some good unfilmed scripts?

Originally posted by Tafellappen
I completely disagree. I'm glad that movie never got made.
I read it. This would make a great movie.

So instead of having a fanboy make a film that is true to the character you would rather have a half assed Mtv video director make it about a superman that doesn't fly, a Lex Luthor that works for the FBI AND is from krypton. What about making Jimmy Olsen gay? That is a great plot twist. How about having supes fight with some polar bears at the Fortress of Solitude? How about casting Johnny Depp as Lex and Beonce as Lois? Sheesh.

I'm not a die hard comic book fan but I will take Smiths 'fanboy' script of a movie any day over ANY of the other ideas that have been tossed around. I think the script is worth it for the cameo of Batman alone. Excellent ideas all around.
Old 03-12-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One that I'd love to see made one day would be Kubrick's Napoleon. Great screenplay, but reading it one can only imagine what it would cost to make.
Old 03-13-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
James Cameron's Avatar to me was a fantastic story, and now with CGI technology could actually be filmable. I'd love to see that one made.
Old 03-13-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
^ too bad Cameron is still on that "I'm King of the World" and not making movies anymore kick.
Old 03-14-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who knows, Mike? He may have someone else do it... remember Kathryn Bigelow did his Strange Days...
Old 03-14-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
James Cameron's Avatar to me was a fantastic story, and now with CGI technology could actually be filmable. I'd love to see that one made.
I too found it an interesting story, but there is NO WAY it would ever go over with mainstream viewers. Way too weird and it would cost more than the LOTR movies combined.
Old 03-14-04, 07:02 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

what's this Avatar?
Old 03-14-04, 07:12 PM
Banned

there was some sci-fi script that was done by Ellison...I've heard it is really good.

It hasn't been made because the guy is such an ass to work with.
Old 01-08-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fear not, Avatar fans. The movie has been greenlit.

The Return of the King (of the World)
20th Century Fox finally greenlights James Cameron's sci-fi epic ''Avatar,'' due in 2009

For all those in Hollywood who bet that James Cameron would never again make another movie... well, we hope you didn't wager a lot of money. Because after nine long years of dusting his Titanic Oscars and carefully, methodically, and maybe even nervously plotting how to follow up one of the biggest cultural phenomenons ever to come out of Hollywood, the King of the World is officially back in the director's chair. Twentieth Century Fox is announcing today that it has finalized a long-in-the-works deal to produce Cameron's next project, a sci-fi epic entitled Avatar.

The movie is likely to be one of the most technically complex productions ever mounted, as it will make extensive use of cutting edge 3-D, computer animation, and motion capture f/x technology. (Think: how Peter Jackson brought Gollum and King Kong to life.) And by the time it arrives in theaters in the summer of 2009, the movie might be one of the most expensive movies ever made; Fox is said to have greenlit the film at $200 million.

What's Avatar all about? According to previously published reports, it's an original screenplay penned by Cameron that follows a battle-scarred war vet who travels to another planet inhabited by an alien race with a distinctly different language and culture from Earth. Conflicts ensue.

Cameron begins shooting Avatar in April.
At $200MM, it has to be good!
Old 01-08-07, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scot1458
there was some sci-fi script that was done by Ellison...I've heard it is really good.

It hasn't been made because the guy is such an ass to work with.
Maybe if he hadn't been screwed in the past by people trying to change his vision when converting his stories into teleplays, it might be a different story. The phrase I would use to describe him would be exacting, though he may come off as being an ass. But he can be that way because he's made his living writing works that people enjoy (or not) and he's at the point when he no longer has to pander to the publishing or film industry. He's able to reject or accept the use of his material based on its quality, not whether he needs to pay the mortgage. If the industry had more folks with similar talent and who are at the same stage in their career, there'd be a lot less junk on our screens.
Old 01-08-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Wachowski's wrote a screenplay called "Carnivore" which is really good.

There's also one floating around out there about Sherlock Holmes fighting Dracula that's been reviewed on IGN a couple of times.
Old 01-08-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yikes! Cameron sans beard isn't too flattering. I'm definitely looking forward to Avatar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.