Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that have Star Wars style opening text crawls

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 04:35 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except Star Wars movies (of course)

Airplane II: The Sequel
Warrior of the Lost World
Old 09-19-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies that have Star Wars style opening text crawls

Fanboys
Spaceballs
Old 09-19-10, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 725 Likes on 478 Posts

Revenge of the Nerds II
Old 09-19-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Penitentiary 2
Old 09-19-10, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark have one?
Old 09-20-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

A lot of the old serials used to have them, which is why STAR WARS had it like that. Of course, now that I think of it, I can't recall which ones. Not the Flash Gordon ones, I remember those being stationary. Or maybe one of the three did. Maybe GONE WITH THE WIND had rolling credits. I'll have to look when I get home.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-20-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A lot of the old serials used to have them, which is why STAR WARS had it like tht. Of course, now that I think of it, I can't recall which ones. Not the Flash Gordon ones, I remember those being stationary. Or maybe one of the three did. Maybe GONE WITH THE WIND had rolling credits. I'll have to look when I get home.
Gone with the Wind had the title moving in from right to left, but none of the other credits were like that.

Kiss Me Deadly had the titles and credits crawl in in reverse order (as if they were painted on a road and were encountered last-to-first), so onscreen the movie's title is:

Deadly
Kiss Me
Old 09-20-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do they have to scroll at an angle? If not, Legend.
Old 09-20-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Blade Runner (again, if it can be vertical)
Old 09-20-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just remembered one: HIGH SIERRA (1941), a great crime thriller with Humphrey Bogart and Ida Lupino. IIRC, the credits roll up over a shot of one of the Sierra mountains.
Old 09-20-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Blade Runner (again, if it can be vertical)
I sort of have a fondness for those old-school "data dumps" they would stick on the openings of science fiction movies back then. Especially if it's a computer read-out. "Outland" did this, too. Like they had to tell the audience "This is happening in the future," in case the flying cars and spaceships didn't clue them in.
Old 09-21-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As noted by others above, many, many movie serials. That's what inspired Lucas.
Old 09-22-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked the three FLASH GORDON serials last night. Those credits don't roll. Maybe it was BUCK ROGERS? I don't have that one to check. But I definitely recall serials with those rolling credits. Now I'm going nuts because I don't know which ones to check of the ones I have. And I have to start getting ready for work. Oh, well...it'll have to wait.
Old 09-22-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I checked the three FLASH GORDON serials last night. Those credits don't roll. Maybe it was BUCK ROGERS? I don't have that one to check. But I definitely recall serials with those rolling credits. Now I'm going nuts because I don't know which ones to check of the ones I have. And I have to start getting ready for work. Oh, well...it'll have to wait.
Universal serials have the rolling credits. Also, it's not the credits that roll, it's the recaps.

Last edited by rw2516; 09-22-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a wikipedia page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_opening_crawl

from that page:

...Lucas has stated that the opening crawl was inspired by the opening crawls used at the beginning of each episode of the original Flash Gordon film serial, which was the inspiration for Lucas to write much of the Star Wars saga...
and:

Parodies

The Mel Brooks film Spaceballs opens with a similar, but much more humorous crawl, with gags such as "unbeknownst to her, but knownst [sic] to us". At the end, in small letters, it reads "If you can read this, you don't need glasses". The science fiction-comedy television show Red Dwarf used an opening crawl in episodes Backwards and Dimension Jump. Both feature similar, humorous crawls, the former scrolling too fast to be read without freeze-frame.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me opens with a similar crawl. It is accompanied by a voiceover. Airplane II: The Sequel begins with a crawl of the text of an erotic story that is "broken" like glass by a space shuttle flying through it. The Bugs Bunny-Road Runner Movie uses a crawl to set up the clips of the shorts featured. The crawl reads "A long long long long long...time ago, in a universe far, far, far, far, far...away...whew!" The film Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise opens with a crawl in homage to Star Wars.

The sneak peek of the unfinished game Space Quest VII: Return to Roman Numerals had a similar crawl with a voiceover. The difference was that this one was being typed out as it was being spoken. Those who attended Nintendo's online Camp Hyrule 2006 were greeted with an introductory opening crawl sequence.

The Simpsons episode Co-Dependent's Day contains a crawl for a Star Wars spoof called Cosmic Wars which makes fun of the political and bureaucratic quarrels in The Phantom Menace.

Family Guy's Star Wars parody, "Blue Harvest", opens with the phrase "A long time ago, but somehow in the future....". It then gives plot spoilers in its version of the opening crawl, then digresses slightly to talk about Angelina Jolie and her relationship with her brother before ending with "Princess Leia was coming back from buying space groceries when this happened..." The sequels to "Blue Harvest", "Something, Something, Something, Dark Side" and It's a Trap! also feature a crawl at the beginning.

The That '70s Show episode "A New Hope" opened with a similar crawl, complete with the show's logo replacing the Star Wars one.

Recent editions of Apple Computer's iMovie software feature a similar title effect called "Far, Far Away" in reference to Star Wars. Recent editions of Windows Movie Maker also include a text effect in reference to Star Wars. Vista versions have changed the 3D mode.

In the Fairly Oddparents episode "Wishology Part III", the crawl is parodied. Cosmo begins that Timmy rescued his friends from the darkness. Then, he says that is all the information he has, and then ends with, "Anyone? Hello?".

In Shrek 4-D, the Magic Mirror exclaims, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...", then appears to ascend, before Pinocchio tells him that is not the right story.
Old 09-22-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Universal serials have the rolling credits. Also, it's not the credits that roll, it's the recaps.
Oops, I didn't even fast forward that far when checking the DVDs.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-23-10 at 10:00 AM.