Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018, D: Singer or Fletcher) S: Rami Malek -- Queen biopic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018, D: Singer or Fletcher) S: Rami Malek -- Queen biopic

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Countless successful biopics where the actor in question looked nothing like the person they were portraying suggests otherwise.
I don't think Hugh Jackman (who look like a middle age Clint Eastwood) would be a good choice of an actor to portray Freddie Mercury just because he can sing.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 11-15-06 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Um...if you have seen any biopics lately you'll notice an actors' status totally outweighs the importance of having a resemblence to the real person.
Um... Not necessarily always.
Old 12-22-06, 01:58 PM

from www.brianmay.com on reports of Johnny Depp portraying Mercury;

But you're right about one thing ... Johnny Depp is fantastic. He would be a worthy counterpart for Freddie on screen. I don't think I can say any more right now.
Here's a bit from article:

PIRATES Of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp is in line to play Freddie Mercury in a Hollywood biopic.

The movie, planned for next year, is being developed by Robert De Niro's Tribeca Productions and will focus on Mercury's life, from his birth in Zanzibar in 1946 to his AIDS-related death in 1991, when he was just 45.

Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor will have the final say over the music in the film - which will see Depp 43, miming to Mercury's original vocal recordings.

Mercury's long-term girlfriend, Mary Austin said: 'I can't think of anyone better to play Freddie.'
Old 12-22-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could think of someone better who looks more like him....Guy Pearce, period.
Old 12-23-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe Paul Rodgers can play Freddie.
Old 04-06-09, 06:09 PM

What happened to the Queen/Freddie Mercury biopic?

Last I heard was that Sasha Baron Cohen declined the role and Depp was supposedly considering it. I've done some checking on imdb and other sites and cannot find any updates.

Anyone know anything about it?
Old 04-08-09, 09:58 AM

Re: What happened to the Queen/Freddie Mercury biopic?

anyone?
Old 04-08-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never heard that Sacha Baron Cohen was even offered the role. Who knows?
Old 04-08-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Aren't Tom Cruise and John Travolta in talks for this?
Old 09-16-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Freddie Mercury biopic in the works

I know there's been speculation of this casting in the past, but now it's a done deal.

EXCLUSIVE: Whether it's Marvin Gaye, Janis Joplin, Phil Spector or a host of others, enough announced music pics stall that it’s hard to find one worth worth getting excited about. Try this one: Sacha Baron Cohen has closed a deal to play Queen front man Freddie Mercury in a film that’s being scripted by Peter Morgan for a 2011 production start. The untitled film will be financed by GK Films partners Graham King and Tim Headington, who'll produce in partnership with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal’s Tribeca Productions, and Queen Films. Morgan is already working on a script focused on the band’s formative years, leading up to Queen’s appearance at Live Aid in 1985. Queen’s performance is considered one of the rock's all-time great live concert appearances.

A rights package has been set that includes the band’s tunes, including Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions , Another One Bites The Dust and You’re My Best Friend. It is unclear whether Baron Cohen will sing—I’m told he can sing—or whether Mercury’s vocals will be used. Nobody sang like Mercury, so trying to replicate him would be a tall order. These decisions will be made as a director gets hired. Mercury died November 24, 1991 of complications from AIDS. Though his death helped to remove the stigma of AIDS sufferers prevalent at that time and particularly in the rock music industry, Mercury’s last days won’t be the subject of the film.
Baron Cohen is an intriguing choice. For one thing, he looks more like Mercury than any star I can think of. While Baron Cohen’s primarily a comic actor, he plays well-defined characters in films from Borat to Talladega Nights, Sweeney Todd and Bruno, and he’s currently starring in the 3D Martin Scorsese-directed drama Hugo Cabret, also for GK Films. In April, Baron Cohen was the catalyst for a big bucks comedy pitch being written by Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and David Mandel. Paramount beat out others for a film, which calls for Baron Cohen to play dual roles of a goat herder and a deposed dictator who gets lost in the US. It was an extravagant deal and the project is on a fast track. It’s unclear how timing factors into the Mercury film.
Morgan has become a go-to guy for prestige films based on real figures, from Frost/Nixon to The Queen (no relation), The Last King of Scotland and Damned United. His most recent script, Hereafter, made its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival last Sunday, with director Clint Eastwood and stars Matt Damon and Bryce Dallas Howard introducing the film at the Elgin Theater.
GK’s King confirmed the Queen deal: “Queen is one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and a music brand all unto itself,” he said in a statement. “Freddie Mercury was an awe-inspiring performer, so with Sacha in the starring role coupled with Peter’s screenplay and the support of Queen, we have the perfect combination to tell the real story behind their success.”

This is the first time the surviving members of Queen--Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon--have licensed songs and music publishing rights for a movie about the band and they formed Queen Films to be part of the production team on the film. They previously supplied their songs to We Will Rock You, the stage musical that has been running 9 years on London’s West End.

GK Films tomorrow opens the Ben Affleck-directed The Town through Warner Bros, and the Angelina Jolie-Johnny Depp thriller The Tourist opens December 10 through Columbia Pictures. Baron Cohen’s repped by WME and Morgan by UTA and UK-based Independent Talent Group.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/excl...ry-in-gk-film/
Old 09-16-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018, D: Singer or Fletcher) S: Rami Malek -- Queen biopic

Old 09-16-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Bohemian Rhapsody (2018, D: Singer or Fletcher) S: Rami Malek -- Queen biopic

it would def be interesting thats for sure
Old 09-16-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I never realized it before, but they really do look a lot alike. Very good casting choice.

I'm a firm believer that a lot of truly funny comedians/comedic actors, when paired with the right director, are sometimes the best choices for more dramatic roles (think Jim Carrey in The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind; Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me; Marlon Wayans in Requiem For A Dream, Bill Murray generally) and I think Baron Cohen could be one of those guys if he's teamed with the right director.

Will definitely be looking out for this one.
Old 09-16-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for those that have never heard him speak regularly
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5gE37xuBkAs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5gE37xuBkAs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-16-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm....he could be perfect.
Old 09-16-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I can picture him in this. I hope it's good.
Old 09-16-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Hmm....he could be perfect.
Old 09-16-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Cohen seems perfect to me. Sweeney Todd was a little more serious role, so I think he can handle it just fine.
Old 09-16-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

He's going to need to wear fake teeth

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wk9hPubD1Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wk9hPubD1Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-16-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Cohen's a brilliant actor... he slips into characters like Borat, Bruno, and Ali G with such ease that you'd never guess they weren't real people...

...but it's just damned weird to think about Borat playing Freddie Mercury.
Old 09-17-10, 01:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy shit...give him the teeth and BAM...ez change.
Old 09-17-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I've never seen the Queen performance at Live Aid. Which package do you people recommend ---

Rock Montreal & Live Aid (blu-ray):
http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Rock-Mon...4725624&sr=1-3

Live Aid (4 disc set):
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Aid-4-Dis...4725751&sr=1-1
You'll have to endure a lot of dated 80s new wave and horrible performances by THe Who and Led Zeppelin. Just watch it here:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4FNoIDgNE6o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4FNoIDgNE6o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-17-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, the resemblance never dawned on me until I saw the thread title. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 09-17-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't really like Cohen's Borat , Bruno or Ali G. But he was descent on Sweeney Todd and the resemblance is uncanny. I'm really interested
Old 09-17-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll agree that this sounds like a great casting choice. I have little doubt that Cohen could pull this off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.