Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-05-10, 09:43 PM   #1
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

I caught this film this week. I had never heard of it and it's really funny stuff. A jet black comedy that runs like a racehorse to the end. I really enjoyed it.

I read in the 'highly recommended' review here on DVDTalk that this film was a victim of some kind of studio nonsense and was not given a release, and quietly went straight to video. I guess that's why I had not heard of it. I've yet to see a less than positive review of it.

I would recommend checking it out.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 08-05-10, 10:37 PM   #2
Supermallet
Time Lord

Re: Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

This is worth it just to hear Simon Pegg do a Canadian accent.

But seriously, it's actually a really funny movie that should have far more exposure.
Old 08-05-10, 11:23 PM   #3
MrSmearkase
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

/\ Agreed, it's a fun little movie.

FYI - I've often seen it at Big Lots for $3, in case anybody is interested in a blind buy
Old 08-05-10, 11:32 PM   #4
JumpCutz
DVD Talk Legend

Based on the positive buzz I'll definitely pick it up for $3... though I loathe David Schwimmer.
Old 08-06-10, 06:18 AM   #5
McLovin

Anything with Simon Pegg in it is worth seeing at least once. Not so much David Schwimmer though.
Old 08-06-10, 08:18 AM   #6
Daytripper
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented this a while back just because of Simon Pegg and I loved it.
Old 08-06-10, 10:38 AM   #7
tylergfoster
DVD Talk Reviewer

I remember thinking it was okay, but I wish the US DVD didn't suck. It has like 40 minutes of the dullest most boring interviews imaginable, whereas the UK DVD has a Andrea/Pegg/Schwimmer/Eve commentary if I remember correctly. One of these days (especially now that it should be mega-cheap), I'll import.
Old 08-06-10, 12:18 PM   #8
toddly6666
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks entertaining. I had no idea Pegg could do such a good American accent. And I'll see anything with Alice Eve now!
Old 08-06-10, 12:47 PM   #9
Matthew Chmiel
DVD Talk Legend

I actually saw it a few years ago when it came to DVD here in the states as my friend, who now lives in Paris, would always rent non-mainstream, independent, and foreign titles from Blockbuster (he had a Netflix account too) and invite us over.

I knew it would be a dark comedy, but I didn't expect how dark the final product would be and I think that's the reason why I initially liked it so much after my first viewing. Haven't seen it since, but I would definitely recommend it to others who haven't seen it. $3 at Big Lots isn't bad, considering my friend probably paid more to rent it from Blockbuster.
Old 08-06-10, 01:04 PM   #10
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked it. It gets the ball rolling and just kicks out the jams on a mad descent in to the blackest of black comedy.

Wild plot twists left and right and it just keeps steamrolling ahead without a pause.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 08-06-10, 05:05 PM   #11
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
It looks entertaining. I had no idea Pegg could do such a good American accent. And I'll see anything with Alice Eve now!
Canadian accent.