Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shadow of the Colossus (Marks) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Sony adapting 'Colossus' into movie
Popular PlayStation 2 title heads to bigscreen
By MARC GRASER

'Shadow of the Colossus'

Sony will adapt the popular PlayStation 2 title "Shadow of the Colossus" into a bigscreen actioner, with Justin Marks penning the screenplay and Kevin Misher in negotiations to produce.

"Colossus," which bowed exclusively on the PlayStation 2 in 2005, revolves around a man named Wander who must travel across a cursed wasteland and defeat 16 creatures, known as the colossi, in order to restore the life of a girl.

Project, which proved a big seller for PlayStation and was produced internally by Sony Computer Entertainment, will build upon the vidgame's fantasy setting of a solitary world with few characters other than the 16 enemies.

"Colossus" is the latest high-profile project for Marks, who is writing the redo of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo" at Disney, with McG attached to direct. He recently landed "Suicide Squad," based on the DC Comics book, at Warner Bros., for which he's also written "Green Arrow: Escape From Supermax," also based on the DC character, and "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe."

He's also adapted "Hack/Slash" for Relativity, based on the Devil's Due comicbook, and the '80s TV toon "Voltron: Defender of the Universe," for Mark Gordon Prods.

Misher will produce through his Misher Films shingle.

His pic "Fighting" bows this month through Rogue, and "Public Enemies" goes out this summer through Universal. Misher has a number of projects in development at Paramount, including the romantic comedy "Swingles" and "One Free Murder," which Marks wrote based on an idea by Nicholas Pileggi.
-------------------

Geezus, Justin Marks has been a busy dude.
Old 04-08-09, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Shadow of the Colossus (Marks) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

This game/movie has Guillermo Del Toro written all over it.

It was in simplest terms, the most true definition of art in terms of game making, I've ever seen.
Old 04-08-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played; not too sure about a movie though, but I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 04-08-09, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it was an amazing game. Truly a work of art...
Old 04-08-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd rather they just make a new game for the PS3. This will not translate well into a movie.
Old 04-08-09, 11:38 AM
Banned

I'd wish to see it as a film. BUT it'd be one of the biggest budgeted arthouse flicks ever that would need an amazing and thrilling trailer to con the average moviegoer to see it. Cuz going in...it's a very calm and moving w/ a visually expansive design kind of project. I'd be all over this if Del Toro did it....
Old 04-08-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of the game until I saw Reign Over Me.
Old 04-08-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still need to finish the game. It was really beautiful, up until the colossus I couldn't figure out how to beat.
Old 04-08-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I still need to finish the game. It was really beautiful, up until the colossus I couldn't figure out how to beat.
I will probably replay this now. I never did beat the final colossi. I put poor Agro thru so much.
Old 04-08-09, 12:04 PM
Banned

That was an awesome Colossus...omg..that'd be so thrilling to see on a film...
Old 04-08-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Geezus, Justin Marks has been a busy dude.
As well he should be, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li was amazing.

..man this has failure written all over it.
Old 04-08-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Amazing game. Easily one of my favorites on PS2.

I hope they keep the ending that was present in the game. So fantastic.
Old 04-09-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

'Colossus' writer: Give video games a chance
By Steven Zeitchik

Video games may not have always had the easiest time going from the console to the big screen. But the man in charge of adapting one of the most lauded video games out there wants fans to have a little faith.

In an interview with Risky Biz, Justin Marks, who will adapt "Shadow of the Colossus" into a feature film, said that the genre was relatively young, and that he believed well-selected titles could translate if they were handled wisely.

"I think many of the games haven't worked as movies because it's hard to find the right game. There are very few that lend themselves to movies," Marks said.

But that doesn't mean that Hollywood shouldn't try, he added. "If we started thinking that anything that worked in one medium shouldn't be adapted for another we wouldn't have a lot of the great movies we've had, because so many of them came from novels."

"Colossus," which Sony and producer Kevin Misher are developing, is unique because a player spends much of his time basically alone in the game's universe, and Marks said that as he began to write, he hopes to find himself in a better position as a result.

"With a lot of games there are so many elements in the universe you spend your time tearing down and tearing down," he said. "What's nice about this game is that it's so sparse so you can start building right away." He added that he understood fan's concerns that a studio might be tempted to add Hollywood flourishes like a cheesy sidekick but that he would strenuously avoid those cliches.

Marks also said he felt this would make a perfect adaptation because it already contained not just visual elements but many of the things that work on a movie screen. "This is a game that catches you unaware -- it catches you on an emotional and experiential level, not just for the puzzles you solve."

And while fans are probably going to be skeptical about pretty much any beloved property that's turned into a story meant to appeal to the masses, he said he believed that with this property there was a nice symmetry between what the hardcore set appreciated and what the wider public wanted.

"With a lot of games you're caught trying to please the fans and the mainstream audience," he said. "What's so nice about this game is that it's all seen through such an adult lens, so that what pleases the fans also pleases a wider audience."
Old 04-09-09, 09:50 AM
Banned

I mean..the story is pretty simple and visually poetic..so there's not much to fuck it up on. Very very little dialogue, in a language that doesn't exist (wonder if they'll keep the language...my instincts say no, sadly) and it's a guy w/ his horse vs. massive creatures. All that matters is that they can keep it that way...wonder which Colossi they'll keep in? My fears is that they make this a generic action/adventure with a much more positive outlook of hope.
Old 04-09-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

No studio is going to drop the money you'd need to do this on a film with basically one character and no dialogue. If this gets done, there'll be villages of people and a sidekick and so on and so forth. I'd guess the only thing from the game that would actually make it into the movie would be the colossi themselves.
Old 04-09-09, 01:18 PM
Banned

Sadly that is part of my fear..and somewhat anger that will surely come about in the future. Also...it's Sony that's making it...what was the last really good film they had?
Old 10-08-09, 03:32 PM

Any more news on this? It'd be a very awesome movie with loads of potential however it's easy to make a movie based on a game SUCK. Take DOOM for example, or as some people see it: Super Mario Brothers.
Old 05-23-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/chro...sony-pictures/

‘Chronicle’ Helmer Josh Trank Takes On ‘Shadow Of The Colossus’ For Sony Pictures

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday May 23, 2012 @ 3:39pm EDT
Tags: Fumito Ueda, Josh Trank, Shadow Of The Colossus, Sony Pictures

COMMENTS (1)

EXCLUSIVE: Josh Trank has signed with Sony Pictures to develop to direct Shadow Of The Colossus, a big scale live action adaptation of the bestselling Sony videogame. The film is being produced by Kevin Misher. The studio is interviewing writers to work with Trank, who after directing the $13 million sleeper hit Chronicle has become the go to guy for big popcorn pictures. Trank takes on a Fumito Ueda-created game that has a strong narrative arc, along with the obligatory creature quotient to get the visual effects crowd excited.

The protagonist is a young man who thinks his lover has died. Desperate to bring her back, he heads into a forbidden land, and summons a demon who can wake the dead. The price for bringing back his girl: slay 16 colossi that dominate this mystical place. These are skyscraper-sized giants that rise from the ground, fly through the air and come from the water. As the young man works through his quest on horseback, he begins to wonder if he is on a noble pursuit to bring back his lover, or perhaps has made a deal with the devil and is being used. Trank has been a fan of the game since it launched in 2005, and sought out the job.

Trank is separately developing two Marvel superhero franchises in Fantastic Four for Fox and the Spider-Man spinoff Venom for Sony Pictures, and he’s also aligned to the Warner Bros comic book adaptation Red Star. He’s repped by WME and Management 360. Misher is separately prepping MGM’s remake of Carrie, and Misher Film execs Andy Berman and Kevin Chang are overseeing Shadow of the Colossus. WME reps Trank.
I actually have no problem with this. I thought Chronicle did a good job of telling its story without too many flat out "We're going to explain this to you!" sequences, and it's nice to have a fan do it.
Old 05-23-12, 03:15 PM
Banned

That's cool that he's a fan. Good for him for getting something he loves. Deep down I wished Del Toro would go after this cuz well...Del Toro would rock at it. I wish this guy the best though. Looks like this guy is getting busy. Go him.
Old 05-23-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Probably THE most overrated game I've ever played in my 30 years of gaming.

At least they got a fan of the game to make the film (cough) Uncharted (/cough) That's something.
Old 05-23-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's up there, I found the game to be a complete bore but I think cinematically it could work -- a few meditative travel/search sequences in place of the 10 hours of aimless riding around and clunky controls.
Old 05-23-12, 03:39 PM
Banned

One of the best games ever made.
Old 01-08-13, 02:49 PM
Banned

Via THR

Seth Lochhead, the Canadian-born scribe who co-wrote the action film Hanna, has been tapped to work on Shadow of the Colossus, Sony’s adaptation of the popular PlayStation 2 video game.

Josh Trank is attached to direct the project and came on board in May 2012 after being launched by his hit sci-fi pic Chronicle. He will oversee the writing of the script. Justin Marks wrote an early draft of the script when the project was initially set up in 2009.

The game’s story involves a young man named Wander, who, riding his trusty steed Argo, travels a world defeating 16 colossal beings in order to resurrect a girl named Mono.

Kevin Misher is producing. Misher Films’ Andy Berman and Kevin Chang are overseeing.

Lochhead has The Governess, a top secret project being produced by Michael Bay, set up at Warner Bros. and has written an adaptation of sci-fi novel The Age of Miracles for Bill Pohlad’s River Road Entertainment.

Hanna was an intriguingly off-beat 2011 action movie directed by Joe Wright and starring Saoirse Ronan as a teenager trained to be an assassin by her father, played by Eric Bana.

Lochhead is repped by WME, Circle of Confusion and Myman Greenspan.
Old 01-08-13, 03:30 PM

As a video game, Shadow of the Collossus is your answer for the argument that games are mindless violence that warps the youth of America.

But once this makes it through a movie studio, I have my doubts that it will get through unscathed. Most video game movies seem to be made for 12-year old boys with ADD. And this is a game about a solitary protagonist, and the lack of story is what makes the final twist worthwhile. By time it becomes a movie, there will be some sort of comedic CGI sidekick and the slow tone will be forgotten.
Old 01-08-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish this could be animated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.