Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Film Preservation Jobs

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Film Preservation Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Film Preservation Jobs

I was going to post this in the Other forum but thought I'd have better luck here. I'm looking for information about a possible career in film preservation. I have researched schools and I was hoping to learn more about it as a career. Is there a demand for this job? What are my options?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Film Preservation Jobs

You could work at a film lab, for starters.

Or Google/call the AMIA. It's a non-profit. But that doesn't mean that people work there for free.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Good luck. It's a worthy cause. And let me know if you wouldn't mind 'losing' a few movies. I have a list of movies that I wouldn't mind falling off the face of the Earth.
Old 08-04-10, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say you google the Film preservation that Scorsese does work w/ and email that place...and..good luck. Cuz....I know..that I'd love to do that. To just keep history and the art alive like that..just..amazing.
Old 08-04-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the advice. I will reasearch it more.
Old 08-04-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I was going to post this in the Other forum but thought I'd have better luck here. I'm looking for information about a possible career in film preservation. I have researched schools and I was hoping to learn more about it as a career. Is there a demand for this job? What are my options?

Any info would be appreciated.
I've known people in the field. You'd probably have to go where the work is: UCLA in L.A., Eastman House in Rochester, NY, or Museum of Modern Art in New York. Or some foreign archives. Do you know French? I don't know how much hiring these places do, if any. You might have to get an internship first. Are you in school now?

The studios may have people working on getting prints ready for restoration before transferring to the format used to make DVDs from. That might be a good way to go, if you can get an in with a studio.
Old 08-04-10, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a masters program at UCLA and NYU in film preservation.
Old 08-04-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've known people in the field. You'd probably have to go where the work is: UCLA in L.A., Eastman House in Rochester, NY, or Museum of Modern Art in New York. Or some foreign archives. Do you know French? I don't know how much hiring these places do, if any. You might have to get an internship first. Are you in school now?

The studios may have people working on getting prints ready for restoration before transferring to the format used to make DVDs from. That might be a good way to go, if you can get an in with a studio.
I looked into the Eastman house in Rochester. I'm considering that over UCLA's program. I'm in school now but its not related. I took 3 years of French in high school but didn't retain a lot of it.

Thanks for your advice. This is something that would be my dream job.