Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies SAVED by the casting of ONE role

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies SAVED by the casting of ONE role

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies SAVED by the casting of ONE role

Originally Posted by thematahara
Also...Kevin Bacon, Tremors.
I dunno... Tremors still has its charms, although Bacon carries definitely it over the finish line.
Old 07-28-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent Gallo's penis

Old 07-28-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-28-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
It would have been different having Tom Selleck as Indy, but Raiders of the Lost Ark would have required a lot more changes than not having Harrison Ford for that to have turned out a bad movie.
Old 07-28-10, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Also...Kevin Bacon, Tremors.
I hate to be "that guy" and I know this is an opinion question... but man, NO!!!

Fred Ward (just as important) and Kevin Bacon are great together... but I love Tremors all around. A lot. It's got a lot going for it besides just Kevin Bacon. Michael Gross is totally fun in it too... and Reba. Plus the creature design is one of the best ever IMHO... it's witty... it's fun and somewhat scary when it needs to be... it's a great little flick.

Sorry, I just totally disagree with this in every way possible.
Old 07-28-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It would have been different having Tom Selleck as Indy, but Raiders of the Lost Ark would have required a lot more changes than not having Harrison Ford for that to have turned out a bad movie.
Yeah, Indy would have been different with Selleck, but it would have still been an awesome fucking movie.
Old 07-28-10, 03:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
I hate to be "that guy" and I know this is an opinion question... but man, NO!!!

Fred Ward (just as important) and Kevin Bacon are great together... but I love Tremors all around. A lot. It's got a lot going for it besides just Kevin Bacon. Michael Gross is totally fun in it too... and Reba. Plus the creature design is one of the best ever IMHO... it's witty... it's fun and somewhat scary when it needs to be... it's a great little flick.

Sorry, I just totally disagree with this in every way possible.
I agree with all your points there. Tremors is a great flick even without you, I mean not you.
Old 07-28-10, 04:56 PM
En vacance

The Bergman-Pacino trilogy, the movies Bergman produced specifically tailored for Pacion, Serpico, Dog Day, Scarface. I liked Scarface's iconic bright 80s look though.
Old 07-28-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
And people here are mentioning films like The Big Lebowski & There Will be Blood which do not fit in at all with what the OP is asking....in fact most of the films mentioned so far don't fit.
Yeah, this one went off the rails real fast. That's what I love/hate about this place. Few people answer the question as asked, while many answer the question as they would have asked it.
Old 07-28-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
The Bergman-Pacino trilogy, the movies Bergman produced specifically tailored for Pacion, Serpico, Dog Day, Scarface. I liked Scarface's iconic bright 80s look though.
Bregman as in Martin.

He also produced Sea of Love & Carlito's Way.
Old 07-29-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

01: 12 Monkeys was good with Bruce Willis......but the insertion of Brad Pitt in the supporting role made it a GREAT MOVIE!!!

02: I personally didn't like The Usual Suspects, although Kevin Spacey allowed it to not get demoted to the "Bargain Bins."

03: Does it need mentioning that, without Anthony Hopkins as "Hannibal Lector" in Silence of the Lambs, it would have merely been a "pretty good flick."
Old 07-29-10, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
03: Does it need mentioning that, without Anthony Hopkins as "Hannibal Lector" in Silence of the Lambs, it would have merely been a "pretty good flick."
No need to mention it because it isn't true. While I love Hopkins, Brian Cox was a better Lector imo, and at least proves that others could have done the role.
Old 07-29-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow nobody's mentioned Lord of the Rings yet. No way it would have had the same impact with Stuart Townsend as Aragorn. Viggo was perfect for the role IMO.
Old 07-29-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
No need to mention it because it isn't true. While I love Hopkins, Brian Cox was a better Lector imo, and at least proves that others could have done the role.
Agreed. Lector was simply a good role. Hopkins benefited from playing that role, but he was hardly deserving of all the praise he received for playing it. Cox in SotL would have been more sinister and intellectual and a better fit overall.

I am of a similar mind about Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.
Old 07-29-10, 07:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was going to walk out on The Fifth Element until Chris Tucker showed up and saved the movie.
Old 07-29-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I think the original Nightmare on Elm Street would have been decent without Englund, he is crucial to Dream Warriors working.
Old 07-29-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Anything starring Ah-nuld in the '80s, especially Commando.
While Ah-nuld was certainly good, a lot of the '80s roles were interchangable between Ah-nuld, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, and to an extent Sylvester Stallone. Just like Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme, and Steven Segal were all pretty interchangable.

Don't get me wrong, I really like them all as actors and love their movies, but you could switch them and still have a good movie.

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Vincent Gallo's penis
I haven't seen the movie but heard that it was a dildo.
Old 07-30-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I don't think you need to speculate at all about what might have been; the OP simply asked if you could think of a movie where virtually nothing else worked, but one single performance rescued the entire production. That doesn't require any imagination; only an analysis of what you've actually seen.
Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Boris Karloff have been in many movies in which they were the only worthwhile ingredient. Through skillful performances, they raised movies from bad to tolerable.

My favorite Vincent Price story is that he would completely rewrite his own dialogue, leaving only the last couple of words of each line so the other actors would still have their cue.