Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LEONARDO DiCAPRIO to star as "J. Edgar Hoover" in Clint Eastwood's 2012 film...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LEONARDO DiCAPRIO to star as "J. Edgar Hoover" in Clint Eastwood's 2012 film...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: LEONARDO DiCAPRIO to star as "J. Edgar Hoover" in Clint Eastwood's 2012 film...

Based on that one pic alone I think this movie is going to suck....pass.
Old 08-13-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: LEONARDO DiCAPRIO to star as "J. Edgar Hoover" in Clint Eastwood's 2012 film...

Old 08-13-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Leo will do fine. He always does.
Old 08-13-11, 06:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is that from the scene where Hoover testifies in the lawsuit against Mark Zuckerberg?
Old 08-13-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, Hoover always brought the hammer down in the courtroom
Old 09-19-11, 09:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrm...seems like Eastwood is looking to want to get nominated cuz this seems like one of those films. I'm not comfortable w/ how much Eastwood likes doing the desaturation of the color. Really liked the visual tone presented in those pics but I'm game for this film.

<object width="600" height="395"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/46122"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/46122" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="395" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-19-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 09:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That old age makeup looked terrible.
Old 09-19-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That old-age make-up did not look convincing, but it looks enough like Hoover that I'm sure it won't matter much in context. If anything, I find the elements that DiCaprio has already done before, like the testimony scene that looks so similar to The Aviator and his "I'm so DiCapricharming" face when he says "you gotta bend the rules a little", a little distracting. However, I've been waiting for Dustin Lance Black's followup after Milk and I doubt I'll be disappointed.
Old 09-19-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That old-age make-up did not look convincing, but it looks enough like Hoover that I'm sure it won't matter much in context. If anything, I find the elements that DiCaprio has already done before, like the testimony scene that looks so similar to The Aviator and his "I'm so DiCapricharming" face when he says "you gotta bend the rules a little", a little distracting.
Exactly! Looks terrible, Leo's accent sucks too, it goes in and out. I think they made a mistake casting him people will be mocking him for this role
Old 09-19-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I can overlook the iffy old age makeup, but that accent was grating and all over the place.
Old 09-19-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Leo looks ridiculous as an old man.
Old 09-19-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*sigh

Why so much Oscar baiting from DiCaprio and Eastwood?
Old 09-20-11, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
*sigh

Why so much Oscar baiting from DiCaprio and Eastwood?
Eastwood's a master director; I doubt he cares much about self-absorbed Oscar baiting. (Master baiting?)

Warner Brothers, on the other hand, definitely want this as their prestige pic this winter. I'm pleased that after Gran Torino, Invictus and Hereafter, they still have faith in him for the Oscar nods.
Old 09-20-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lot of history there. Lindbergh baby, Dillinger, WWII, FDR, Harry Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy...Should be very entertaining. The actor playing RFK looks almost like the real deal.
Old 09-20-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Lot of history there. Lindbergh baby, Dillinger, WWII, FDR, Harry Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy...Should be very entertaining. The actor playing RFK looks almost like the real deal.
That is Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice, also was in Eastwood's Changeling.
Old 09-20-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eastwood's a master director; I doubt he cares much about self-absorbed Oscar baiting. (Master baiting?)

Warner Brothers, on the other hand, definitely want this as their prestige pic this winter. I'm pleased that after Gran Torino, Invictus and Hereafter, they still have faith in him for the Oscar nods.
Eastwood has been Oscar baiting since Million Dollar Baby or at least unintentionally doing it. He's turned into Ron Howard.

I've always liked DiCaprio but I think he's gotten a little too serious lately. I would have no problem with this role if he was being directed by Scorsese. Oddly enough.

The trailer for this and War Horse have really turned me off though. I don't think we had not one but two, artificial, Oscar begging trailers last year. I hope something like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ends up being amazing and sweeps.
Old 09-20-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Same with Larry Cohen's THE PRIVATE FILES OF J. EDGAR HOOVER (1977), which also had LBJ, MLK, Walter Winchell, etc. Now that's the Hoover movie to see. And Broderick Crawford looked and sounded a lot more like Hoover than Di Caprio ever will. (And, IMHO, was a much better actor to boot.)
Old 09-20-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
Ah. So he won't sound like the real deal, that's for sure.
Old 09-20-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh he cares, no doubt about it, it is probably a condition for funding his projects that he sets them up for awards.

I think he has just got lazy in the process, using one take, solve problems digitally. for the editing just assemble the script from start to finish and add piano music. lately in every film there are plenty of scenes which a good editor would have removed. but Clint probably figures it doesn't matter, the avg person won't care.

As comparison I watched Bird recently and it was like a totally different director. That thing was carefully crafted and thought through, from beginning to end. I don't know when he became this way but I think it was a little more every film, the last 5 yrs.
Old 09-20-11, 02:33 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looked like a pic from The Aviator before i read other people's posts that that is the Hoover one.
Old 09-21-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Johnny Knoxville's old man makeup in the Jackass movies looks better than Leo's

It does seem like every movie Clint makes is an attempt for Oscar gold...more likely it's the producers. When was the last time an Eastwood film wasn't released at the end of the year for the sole purpose of being fresh in Oscar voter's minds?

It's cool that Jeffrey Donovan is in this, he's great in Burn Notice.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-21-11 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
Get out of town! I was going to look up who it was as well, because once I saw the character I thought it looked eerily similar to RFK. Hopefully Donovan can improve his accent from some he's used in Burn Notice.
Old 09-21-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Eastwood used him to great effect in Changeling.
Old 09-21-11, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Johnny Knoxville's old man makeup in the Jackass movies look better than Leo's

It does seem like every movie Clint makes is an attempt for Oscar gold...more likely it's the producers. When was the last time an Eastwood film wasn't released at the end of the year for the sole purpose of being fresh in Oscar voter's minds?

I dunno about the producers decision but...I believe Eastwood has pretty much full control of his films that come from his production company. I think he just likes those stories..and I'm fine w/ that.

Also...that moment when Hoover is being questioned about his qualifications feels weird watchnig considering we saw that same moment in Public Enemies not so long ago.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-21-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

It's the producers/production studio who decide when to release a film though, not the director.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.