Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator vs. Die Hard..which is better?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which is the better action film?
PREDATOR
22.65%
DIE HARD
77.35%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Predator vs. Die Hard..which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Predator vs. Die Hard..which is better?

Originally Posted by FRwL

I just saw this gif on there, man Arnold's muscle is really shoecased while Carl Weathers's is kind of hidden behind some sleeve
Man was he on the "Juice" of what???
Old 07-03-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker
Old 07-03-10, 02:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between the two, I'd go with Die Hard. The everyman element makes it the more appealing, I suppose.

But seriously, these are two of the best action films ever made. Predator is still the ultimate "group of badasses" film (and I'm guessing The Expendables won't change that, even if it's awesome), and it has one of the best movie monsters of all time. It's also the best genre switching movie ever, being a perfect Arnold action movie at the beginning, then turning towards horror/sci-fi.

Die Hard has one of the best human villains of all time, and has a scenario that just about anyone can relate to, versus Predator, which is more outlandish.

So yeah, if my life didn't depend on it, I'd call it an even draw. If I really really really had to choose, I'd go with Die Hard.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-03-10 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-03-10, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This would be like asking what do I like better, Star Wars or Empire? I love and grew up with Diehard and Predator, but if I had to choose...... probably Diehard. I would also put Lethal Weapon in this class as that was a time when action films gave us memorable characters, now they are all about explosions and CGI.
Old 07-03-10, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Predator is an excellent sci-fi flick, but Die Hard revolutionized action movies.
Old 07-03-10, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
You took Predator pretty seriously, eh?
by seriously do you mean...like it's There Will Be Blood and I have to really think it over? No...no really...

I like Predator a lot, Die Hard as well. So...you know...20 years of growing up w/ Predator and probably....12 years w/ Die Hard...you tend to really remember a lot of those films.
Old 07-03-10, 08:09 AM

Predator!

Solid Snake, I'll get to reading your treatise later, but I appreciate the passion for the subject. Predator is a movie I grew up with too

And I actually do think there's depth to be found in Predator!
You got a bunch of macho men with their big guns a.k.a. phallic symbols. They run around in a female-free combat zone, pointing their phallic symbols at other men with phallic symbols

Then they get utterly dominated and destroyed by a creature with decidedly non-masculine features... long hair, long fingernails, cat-like grace. There's even something gynecological about the creature's face. Especially the mouth parts...

It's man's greatest fear! The true predator...

Okay just kidding
Old 07-03-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Die Hard because it was a game-changer - totally evolved the way that action movies were made.

Predator is just a really good monster movie, but it's not all that different from Alien and 100s of older movies that came before it, other than the fact that it's a well-told story. Predator is basically a sci-fi take on "The Most Dangerous Game".
Old 07-03-10, 09:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Almost didn't vote because the all caps bothers me, but.... Voted Predator today, but could change it tomorrow. Two of the the best action films ever. Terminator would have gotten my vote if it was in the poll.
Old 07-03-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Either way, they're McTiernan's two best films.
Have to disagree here. I'd comfortably place The Hunt for Red October and probably The Thomas Crown Affair over Predator. Die Hard is actually a very good movie by any reasonable standards. Predator is, IMHO, just an unusually good example of an otherwise rotten genre of one-liner-ridden action-adventure crapfests featuring a handful of leading men.

It is funny that someone mentioned the ensemble in Predator (which was pretty forgettable sans Ventura). It was the ensemble in Die Hard that made it such a strong movie.
Old 07-03-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very tough call, but if we're talking full-blown macho action then it's Predator all the way. The thing I've always loved about Predator is that, if you remove the eponymous bounty hunter, the movie would still kick an ungodly amount of ass. Add him in, and you've got a thing of beauty.
Old 07-03-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Predator. I've never been a big Die Hard fan. I don't like how the majority of the film takes place in one building, the small spaces they would film in and lack of location changes really started to bother me while I watched it. I almost felt claustrophobic. Predator may have every 80's action movie cliche, but it was a really fun movie with an awesome cast and creative alien design. So yeah, Predator hands down.
Old 07-03-10, 01:13 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also like the more epic feel of Predator, like said above Die Hard takes place in one building which is unique actually but nothing beats the mythical jungle. Also the ending of Die Hard kind of got preachy a little bit while Predator was just surveying the scorched land before going into a chopper no fuss no muss! Die Hard is a game changer that influenced 90s action movies significantly i agree but even if Predator is a more traditional Dangerous Game/Beowulf storyline i still love it more!
Old 07-03-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Predator. I've never been a big Die Hard fan. I don't like how the majority of the film takes place in one building, the small spaces they would film in and lack of location changes really started to bother me while I watched it. I almost felt claustrophobic. Predator may have every 80's action movie cliche, but it was a really fun movie with an awesome cast and creative alien design. So yeah, Predator hands down.
Die Hard created its own cliche.

One of my favorite movies so I voted for it, but I admit I've never seen Predator all the way through. Could be a good opportunity for the Sci-Fi challenge.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I totally forgot about that thread...that wm lopez guy..kind of derailed it there a bit..jesus...
as he does with every thread
Old 07-03-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I can't stand to watch even 5 minutes of 'Die Hard', I'll choose 'Predator'.
Old 07-03-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
It is funny that someone mentioned the ensemble in Predator (which was pretty forgettable sans Ventura). It was the ensemble in Die Hard that made it such a strong movie.
Are you serious? With the exception of the character of Poncho, the ensemble is incredibly memorable.
Old 07-03-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Are you serious? With the exception of the character of Poncho, the ensemble is incredibly memorable.
100% serious.
Old 07-03-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Predator by a long shot.

How many people from Die Hard became Governors? That's what I thought...
Old 07-03-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Since I can't stand to watch even 5 minutes of 'Die Hard', I'll choose 'Predator'.

Predator
Old 07-03-10, 09:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Predator.

Die Hard was a good flick but Predator kicked ASS! -kd5-
Old 07-03-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh, my vote goes to Predator by slim margin, but both still fail to dethrone "Hard Boiled" as the king-of-action films.
Old 07-03-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just wondering why some can't stand Die Hard...?
Old 07-03-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by davidh777
Die Hard is a slow moving movie (especially the first thirty minutes), that's the one complaint I've heard. Personally I think it's a pathetic complaint, because the buildup is a lot of the fun in the movie.
Old 07-03-10, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I can stand it. I love DH. BUT...it's a bit...how do I say this? Average visually in a sense. It's in a damn building in the 80s. Clothes and hair..80s. 80s doesn't age well visually. faceless goons galore. I never cared for Argyle. I DID like Carl Winslow's relationship w/ McClane...that was smart. The ending is kind of weird...I didn't need for Carl Winslow to redeem himself. I trusted him completely and appreciated his presence. It did kind of get preachy. Also the whole villain not yet did...that's cliche. LOVE the flick but...it does has it's flaws. Out of all it's little annoying flaws..it all doesn't hurt the character of John McClane which makes you like it all the more.
Old 07-03-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... I thought this poll would be a bit closer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.