Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" (2nd "Girl/Dragon Tattoo" sequel)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Bought a legit copy on DVD off Ebay from Tawain. SO much better than the sequel. Which (again), I thought was good, not great. I still think "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is the best film I've seen so far this year. Highest rating, 10/10. I'd give "Played with Fire" 7/10. This is at least a 9 or 9.5/10. The direction is back on track. I felt it was sluggish in the sequel. Noomi Rapace is absolutely amazing. And the courtroom scene at the end is riveting. I was truly sad to see this story end. And I really hope we see another one someday. Even with a new writer since the original died.
Old 10-05-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest" (2nd "Girl/Dragon Tattoo" sequel)

Here's the american trailer for "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest"
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAdVqXpz-0Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAdVqXpz-0Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-06-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Here's the american trailer for "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest"
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAdVqXpz-0Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OAdVqXpz-0Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks for posting this. I have literally been looking for it daily. Nice trailer. I'm so sad there won't be other books/films.
Old 10-06-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted in the other thread about watching it this week.

Good stuff. What a great trilogy. I'm stoked to see the extended cuts with ~ an extra hour per film.
Old 12-20-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would be willing to give the extended cuts a chance, knowing that 30-60 minutes were cut from each, but after seeing all three in a theater, within a day of each other, I found the final two films pathetic compared to the first.

The first thankfully can hold up as a standalone film; the other two are dependent on each other and the absurdity of the plot and characters can be too much. Rapace and Nyqvist are great, though I feel sorry for how wasted they are in the sequels. I just hope anyone who sees the movies and doesn't like them, doesn't write the books off.

I'd rate the series:

Dragon Tattoo: A-
Played with Fire: C-
Kicked the Hornet's Nest: C+
Old 12-20-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I just finished the last book recently--time to start watching the movies.
Old 12-20-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Fett. Looks like I'll pass on these.
Old 12-20-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I would be willing to give the extended cuts a chance, knowing that 30-60 minutes were cut from each, but after seeing all three in a theater, within a day of each other, I found the final two films pathetic compared to the first.

The first thankfully can hold up as a standalone film; the other two are dependent on each other and the absurdity of the plot and characters can be too much. Rapace and Nyqvist are great, though I feel sorry for how wasted they are in the sequels. I just hope anyone who sees the movies and doesn't like them, doesn't write the books off.

I'd rate the series:

Dragon Tattoo: A-
Played with Fire: C-
Kicked the Hornet's Nest: C+
I agree with you on the order you listed from best to "worst", but not by rating. At first, I thought "Fire" was just o.k. But watched it again recently and liked it so much better the second time. I still think "Nest" is better than "Fire". So, I'd give "Tattoo" an A+ (probably my favorite this year, still need to see "Black Swan", "The Fighter" and "True Grit"), "Fire" a B, "Nest" B +