Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 01:46 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok deer feeders, this is the Matrix of the 80s. And believe it or not but the badguy's chainmail, leather chaps and freddy mercury complexion were honest to goodness badass back then before the stupid homo neorevisionism of our present day.

This movie has a life lesson that you find your truest of helpers from the unlikliest of sources, like when the innocent flight lady thought she'd go on her day as usual but ended up as a Support/Logistics woman during the Battle of Val Verde. General Franklin Kirby seems like someone who was a legend in his early years. A pretty good movie and good soundtrack too.

Last edited by FRwL; 11-25-10 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Some people check their closets for the Boogeyman before they go to sleep. Before he goes to sleep, Arnold Schwarzenegger checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
Old 11-25-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Is it too soon to derail this thread into another "who do we want in The Expendables 2" debate?
Old 11-25-10, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEVER, motherfucker. NEVER. I've got a load worth blowing for the release of The Expendables 2. Get Arnold, Danny Trejo, and Dwayne Johnson in there. in there. I'd love to see Donnie Yen also...
Old 11-25-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Commando appreciation thread is complete without...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-25-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!"
Old 11-25-10, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I've never seen that before....Comedy Gold!

--John
Old 11-25-10, 12:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Love Commando. I recently picked up the Director's Cut DVD -- good stuff
Old 11-25-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great song. Sadly, it proves how the Taken-wannabe remake will never be anywhere near as good as this movie. It's just so deliriously over-the-top that a grounded in reality approach could never work.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Badass? No... it wasn't.

Are they re-remaking Street Fighter already?

EDIT: For those that don't know how awesome this movie is.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/teSmRfAtDOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/teSmRfAtDOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-25-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 05:16 PM
En vacance

He looks like he's beginning to turn into the Hulk on that freeze frame.
Old 11-25-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Power Station song at the end.
Old 11-27-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm constantly torn between either this or Rambo II being the most unintentionally homoerotic film of 1985. I think Vernon Wells give this the edge.
Old 11-27-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm constantly torn between either this or Rambo II being the most unintentionally homoerotic film of 1985. I think Vernon Wells give this the edge.
In that category, nothing beats Rocky III:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYN_eVhzsNA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYN_eVhzsNA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

Yes, it was from '82 but everything else pales in comparison.
Old 11-27-10, 07:40 PM

Hey, no bad mouthing Commando! I loved that film as a kid. It's very quotable. "Come on, Bennett, throw away that chicken-shit gun. You don't just want to pull a trigger. Put the knife in me and look me in the eye and see what's going on in there when you turn it." I learned how to make good machine gun sounds when playing G.I.Joe and how to die when playing soldier with friends and family. You know the scenes where an enemy soldier takes like six rounds to the chest jerking back and forth before he drops. I used to mimic that when playing. I've seen this movie so many times. I had a thing for Alyssa too. I remember the entire film in my head. But I haven't seen it in over a decade. Oooh, the NES Commando game. Played it all of the time.

Commando is a classic! I need to get this DVD Director's Cut I heard about. I guess I just keep forgetting to look for this film. Thanks to these threads complaining about old Arnie flicks you people made I think I'll have to pick up Commando, Raw Deal, The Running Man, Total Recall, Red Heat, and others just for old times sake. Used to watch all of those over and over again as a child since we had them all on VHS.
Old 11-27-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, the Rocky III training montage... so inspirational, so latently homosexual. Truly, a wonder to behold.
Old 11-27-10, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
Hey, no bad mouthing Commando! I loved that film as a kid. It's very quotable. "Come on, Bennett, throw away that chicken-shit gun. You don't just want to pull a trigger. Put the knife in me and look me in the eye and see what's going on in there when you turn it." I learned how to make good machine gun sounds when playing G.I.Joe and how to die when playing soldier with friends and family. You know the scenes where an enemy soldier takes like six rounds to the chest jerking back and forth before he drops. I used to mimic that when playing. I've seen this movie so many times. I had a thing for Alyssa too. I remember the entire film in my head. But I haven't seen it in over a decade. Oooh, the NES Commando game. Played it all of the time.

Commando is a classic! I need to get this DVD Director's Cut I heard about. I guess I just keep forgetting to look for this film. Thanks to these threads complaining about old Arnie flicks you people made I think I'll have to pick up Commando, Raw Deal, The Running Man, Total Recall, Red Heat, and others just for old times sake. Used to watch all of those over and over again as a child since we had them all on VHS.
...alright. You're scaring me now. Please put it back in your pants. And walk away while I run away this way *points to opposite direction*
Old 11-27-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ah, the Rocky III training montage... so inspirational, so latently homosexual. Truly, a wonder to behold.
I know. It's almost a work of art. Almost...

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
...alright. You're scaring me now. Please put it back in your pants. And walk away while I run away this way *points to opposite direction*
Snake telling someone to calm down about their raging manlove for a movie? Is it opposite day or something?
Old 11-27-10, 08:42 PM
Banned

This isn't The Expendables thread. It doesn't count outside of that place.
Old 11-28-10, 11:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expendables was fun, but...

Commando > .........................Expendables
Old 11-28-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
Expendables was fun, but...

Commando > .........................Expendables
+1

Hopefully Stallone takes notes from this film and calls up someone like Shane Black (if he can't get the man himself) to write the script to The Expendables 2.
Old 11-28-10, 03:51 PM
FuQ

Most homoerotic of the 80's? You clearly haven't seen Top Gun or Road House. The volleyball scene in Top Gun is gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys. Road House is made up entirely of shirtless, oiled up men punching each other.

Fun Fact: Gayest movie of the 00's: Fast and the Furious 2. Tyrese is pissed the entire movie that he Paul Walker's "character" wants to hang out with this super hot FBI agent. He literally gets pouts every time he leaves. They also get in each others faces so much it looks like they are going to kiss at the end of every scene.
Old 11-28-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
And believe it or not but the badguy's chainmail, leather chaps and freddy mercury complexion were honest to goodness badass back then before the stupid homo neorevisionism of our present day.
Oh hell no. I was a senior in high school when Commando came out, and all of my friends and I snickered at Bennett's obvious gay leather-daddy persona.
Old 11-29-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Gay or not, I remember hitting rewind dozens of times when it showed that topless lady. Kids today have it so easy. lol
Old 11-29-10, 12:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Every Commando fan should check out the IMDb forum for the movie. There's some very funny folks over there.
Old 12-09-10, 03:49 AM
En vacance

Yeah that place is home of 'the Unit'.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.