Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Steel (Levy, 2011) - Hugh Jackman trains robot boxers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Real Steel (Levy, 2011) - Hugh Jackman trains robot boxers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 04:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Real Steel (Levy, 2011) - Hugh Jackman trains robot boxers

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Rock m Sock m robots.
Next up, Battleship and Candy Man.
I'd see a film version of 'Chutes and Ladders'
Old 10-04-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping against hope that just the visual of robots fighting each other would redeem this movie but it wound up for me being one of the worst films of the year. It's completely ridiculous and the boy is annoying as fuck. I hate -- HATE -- movies where the kid acts like they're smarter than the adults and this offends in spades.

Oddly enough the first few minutes are like a completely different movie and make it seem like it could actually pull it off, but then it all turns to shit.
Old 10-04-11, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BJacks
I was hoping against hope that just the visual of robots fighting each other would redeem this movie but it wound up for me being one of the worst films of the year. It's completely ridiculous and the boy is annoying as fuck. I hate -- HATE -- movies where the kid acts like they're smarter than the adults and this offends in spades.

Oddly enough the first few minutes are like a completely different movie and make it seem like it could actually pull it off, but then it all turns to shit
oh so it is truthful advertising.
Old 10-08-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BJacks

Oddly enough the first few minutes are like a completely different movie and make it seem like it could actually pull it off, but then it all turns to shit.
Any other reviews out there?
Old 10-08-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the Aint it Cool guys Capone liked it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51529
Old 10-09-11, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen it the other day. I would have to say the soundtrack rocked. The movie itself was not all that bad. I mean within 10 mins you know the outcome of this movie. The one this is the Zeus Bot, or the person who designed him. Its easy to see the big deal over it. Still It was worth $5.50. Yes the kid does get on your last nerve very fast, but he does have a killer line near the end of the movie.

Spoiler:
"Do not forget you "Sold ME""
Old 10-09-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually enjoyed this movie. It's like "Over the Top" but with robots. I didn't find the kid all that annoying....the only annoying part of him is that he looks like Phantom Menace Annie. In my opinion..he is way less annoying than Anakin and you don't want to beat the crap out of him..like that kid from Superman Returns.
Old 10-10-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much, "Real Steel" is what happens when you put "Over the Top", "Rocky", "A Boy and His Robot" and "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" in a cinematic blender. The writers almost try to provide some emotional hooks into a story based on a washed up boxer Charlie (Hugh Jackman), who now manages robot fighters in seedy fight rings, and is down on his luck. Enter a young boy, Max, who lost his mother recently, and of course is Charlie's son, whom he has had little contact with in the boy's 11 years on this planet. Charlie needs money for a new robot and mounting debts, and conveniently, the boy's aunt wants custody of Max, and Charlie literally sells his parental claims to Max to the aunt and rich uncle with the stipulation that Max spends the summer with Charlie as the couple goes on a summer-long vacation.

Max is mouthy, a bit street-wise, but still just a kid who makes decisions on the best of outcomes without considering negative outcomes. Pretty soon Charlie and Max go on a robot fighting spree after finding an old robot, Atom, who was mainly a sparring robot fighter, but with Charlie's boxing skills, Atom has enough resilience and skill to find success in the ring. The pacing is surprisingly brisk for a 2-hour movie, but it's very predictable, and apes so many of the Rocky movie cliches, it's almost comical, unnecessarily so.

It's a decent kid's movie, but offers little in surprises or narrative originality.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 10-15-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We haven't gotten out to a theater much lately, but Real Steel actually did a good job entertaining us.
Old 10-16-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I just got back from the movie, loved it.

Great family movie, and your sons will love it. The 4 boys sitting next to me where having a great time with the Robots/Boxing, and the covered their eyes with they kissed on screen - that made me laugh.
Old 10-16-11, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the robots kissed?
Old 10-23-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Enjoyed more than Transformers and so did my nieces ( 5 & 9). The only thing that would've made this film much more is if Conti or DiCola had scored it along with a killer montage.

The kid is lightyears better than TPM's Anakin.
Old 10-23-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
My wife and I just got back from the movie, loved it.

Great family movie, and your sons will love it. The 4 boys sitting next to me where having a great time with the Robots/Boxing, and the covered their eyes with they kissed on screen - that made me laugh.
Took my 7 year old son to see it today and we both loved it. Yeah, it is full of cliches and stuff you have seen in several other movies. But it still works...especially if you have a young son and/or you still have your inner 80's child alive.

It is exactly what everyone has mentioned here. Rocky + Rocky IV + Over The Top + Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots. Since all 4 of those things are awesome to me (or at least to my inner 80's child), this movie worked for both of us. My kid was up punching the air, cheering, booing, and dancing at the end. He loved every minute of it and I loved watching him love every minute of it. Great fun and a movie experience that I can take with me until I am old and gray. Much better than the same old animated crap that seems to be released every other week.

I don't give a shit what all the normal uppity movie crowd thinks. This is a fun, enjoyable movie that you should take your son to see. If your son doesn't like it...well...it may be time to introduce him to Barbie dolls.
Old 10-23-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This movie was terrible and my 9 year old nephew thought it blew. But he's all uppity and plays with barbie dolls.
Old 10-23-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
the robots kissed?
We're here. We're in gear. Deal with it.
Old 10-23-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a link with an article regarding the film's concept art and design.

http://io9.com/5847701/designing-a-w...-of-real-steel

Another link with some 3D models

http://cghub.com/images/tag/real-steel/

Seriously pissed that there was no "Art of" book released for the film.
Old 10-25-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am soooo getting this!!!!!

Old 10-25-11, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is pretty badass..didn't see the movie...nor do I care to see it especially the full trailer came out w/ the kid plot element..but..that bust is pretty cool.
Old 10-25-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Really? The kid is a great actor, and the father-son plot isn't nearly as grating as the trailers made it appear.
Old 10-29-11, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it tonight as I don't need to be the first to review it. Yes, the movie is full of cliches (boxing, robots, strained relationships) as most Hollywood movies are but it was very entertaining. Thought it was head and shoulders better than the first Transformers movie. And Jackman and the kid carried it well.
Old 10-29-11, 10:48 AM

I thought the kid looked like Jake Lloyd. The movie wasn't great but it was for the most part entertaining - good movie to blow 2 hours.