Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The A-Team (Carnahan, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The A-Team (Carnahan, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
9.59%
17.81%
35.62%
17.81%
5.48%
4.11%
0%
4.11%
1.37%
0%
0%
I hate it when another manipulation of my youth comes together.
4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

The A-Team (Carnahan, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The A-Team (Carnahan, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

I had so much fun at this movie! The weakest point is the plot, but the cast shines so brightly that I can overlook those issues.

The case was just amazing, especially Sharlto Copley given his very short acting resume. Murdock was always my favorite character (with Face in close second) and he nailed it. I love the South African shoutout, plus the other accents and his first scene sewing up B.A. I laughed so loud.

Everyone else did just as great. I was surpised at Rampage's seamless protrayal of B.A., he didn't seem out of his element at all. Cooper was the essence of Face, smokin' hot and charming. Neeson can never do wrong in my eyes and I was really surprised at Wilson...that dude has some acting range, he sings, can do drama, action and this comic turn was very refreshing.

I'm such a A-Team fan I when I got a chance to see Dirk Benedict at a comic-con that I completely lost my stuff getting his autograph, so much he just laughed at me and signed "Was it good for you?" so I really wanted this to be good and I wasn't disappointed (especially after the end credits ).
Old 06-14-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

This was a perfect summer popcorn flick. Can't believe it isnt doing better, but I think that being tied to the A-Team is probably hurting more than helping.

This movie was much like Star Trek, both were movies based on TV shows I never really watched. Had zero expectations going in and came away loving them both. Just a fun flick. Day one Blu-ray purchase.
Old 06-14-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This movie was a whole lot of fun with a great cast and just the right tone. I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I expected to.

Now I am bummed this didnt do better, as I would love to see these guys together again.
Old 06-14-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a TV show spin-off this was pretty good. The characters were great. Some crappy CGI and the usual overabundance of green screen were my only gripes. But the green screen seems to be overdone in every movie these days.
Old 06-14-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cast was phenomenal.
Old 06-15-10, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw it tonight. loved it. the cast was close to perfect. murdock and face were my favorites. wilson was fantastic but i loved pike too. he was a great bad guy. this movie deserved iron man 2 type of dollar numbers. it's a shame that karate kid throttled it. american moviegoers should be ashamed of themselves. i went in thinking jessica biel was the weak link in the movie and even she was good in her role. i hope they make another now since we have the backstory out of the way.
Old 06-16-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

gotta join on this love orgy, I had a blast with this movie. I was shocked at how much they gave Rampage to do in the film, especially with his lack of acting experience. He had the most fully realized character with actual thought and feelings to convey.

Sharlto Copley officially has a career in acting, District 9 wasn't a fluke. That guy has fully immersed himself into 2 difficult characters and makes it seem easy.

My only complaint would be that the movie needed sometime to breathe, it went from one thing to another way too fast. I wanted some time with just the four guys sitting around in a car talking, letting me into their lives. The only time we get anything close to this is when B.A., Face and Murdock are chilling in Iraq, from that point on it is one big scene after another with the bad guys getting all the dialogue parts in between. Minor complaint for a fun movie.
Old 06-16-10, 01:05 PM
En vacance

It was pretty good except it had too much Faceman screentime and not enough Murdoch.
Old 06-17-10, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where was the original Face and Murdoch at?
Old 06-17-10, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after the credits.
Old 06-17-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, lord, was this painful. The amount of suck on display here could swallow a planet whole. I've never seen the TV show, and I thought the trailers for this looked terrible, but the good praise it's been getting here prompted me to use 2 free passes (thank god for that) to check it out.

I thought the writing was terrible, the plot was practically incoherent and extremely lame, the action was far, far too over the top and employed some bad CGI. I felt the only good moment was when B.A. slammed Pike at the end. And a few moments with Murdock because I think Copley is a fantastic actor. Otherwise, it was a big waste of my time.

1 star.
Old 06-17-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I thought the writing was terrible, the plot was practically incoherent and extremely lame, the action was far, far too over the top and employed some bad CGI.

1 star.
Glad to see you finally got around to watching IRON MAN 2
Old 06-17-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Glad to see you finally got around to watching IRON MAN 2
IM2 certainly has its faults, but no way was it this bad. Although, I'll admit I was happy to see Major Dad get some work.
Old 06-17-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think if you can't buy the over the top action, the movie fails miserably. I loved every minute of it, and knew it was going to be that sort of thing based on the trailers.
Old 06-17-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

But is it Shoot 'Em Up good?
Old 06-17-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were a lot of elements I liked about it, but the action sequences I felt were just chaos, not exciting, the subtle touches were what I enjoyed most - my favorite part-

Spoiler:
the exterior shot of the tank falling , the hatch is open, we hear BA screaming, and the hatch closes, muffling the scream

I think Liam Neeson was miscast. Should have been a very American actor in the role.

I wish they would have used the original theme, the version in the closing credits was awesome.

I think there was so much potential to be really fun, but it falls short. Maybe there will be a great sequel, but with a different writer & director.
Old 06-18-10, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think if you can't buy the over the top action, the movie fails miserably.
Heck, you're not supposed to even buy it, just marvel at it!

Basically the same thing you did with the show. So many explosions, no deaths, all ridiculous and I watched it each and every week.
Old 06-18-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's put it this way

. = The sun

= How much this movie kicks ass.
Old 06-19-10, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Thought it was decent, probably better than I expected. The success of the movie lies mostly in the casting. I thought the actors had a fun dynamic, but there weren't enough scenes where they were allowed to just bounce off of each other. There were a couple of really good action scenes, but the third act went a little overboard, and my brain grew tired of looking at bad CGI. But up until then, I had a good time.
Old 06-19-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this last night and had a lot of fun with it. Being a fan of Smokin' Aces, I really enjoyed the style of the film, especially the beginning where the members of the team were all introduced. Although I don't really remember an episode of the original TV series, I thought the cast had good chemistry. The action scenes were definitely over the top and demanded suspension of belief at every turn, but I wasn't bothered by it ... at least not until the big one in the third act, where B.A. was dodging all the falling shipping containers around him. (I actually shook my head at that one)

But all things considered, you get what you pay for going in. It's a big, turn-your-brain-off-at-the-door, fun actioner, and it does it's job well. 4 out of 5 for me.

Last edited by Yavin; 06-19-10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
I think Liam Neeson was miscast. Should have been a very American actor in the role.
My only problem with the film is Neeson. The whole "there is always a plan...I love it when a plan comes together." just seemed so forced, he just didn't naturally fit the part.

The rest of the team was spot on.
Old 06-19-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was pretty good. I won't comment on whether or not it religiously followed the original television show, because honestly I've never watched it. I was surprised, I thought Rampage did a pretty good job, Neeson was great as always, Cooper and Copley were fun as well. Worth watching, a fun popcorn flick.

This has nothing to do with the actual film, but I was really impressed with how great the print looked. I know the movie only comes from a 2k DI, but man, it looked fantastic! The projector was finely focused, the image perfectly centered, the print clean, the entire film was eye candy. Just had to throw that in the mix.
Old 06-21-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I really really dug it. I came in with low expectations, having loved the original series. But I left having really enjoyed it. It's the best summer action movie this season, and that includes Iron Man 2.

I really like the movies that Carnahan is making, I think he's doing great work in the action drama. Smoking Aces was great too.
Old 06-21-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely loved it, especially the post-credits sequence. Only gripe is I wish they could've gotten a more beautiful looking female character other than Jessica Biel. Great body, yes, but for me she's just plain old ugly. Looks like a man in the right lighting actually.
Old 06-28-10, 01:27 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Totally fun movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes check your brain at the door but was the TV show any different.

Bradley Cooper was a tad too over the top for me but the guy playing Murdoch was perfect. Liam was good as usual and even Rampage pulled it off just fine.

Hope they make another one but I doubt that will happen since the BO has been weak.

Oh well fun ride and I will definitely get it when it comes out on BR.

Greg

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.