Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Plot idea for "CLERKS 3," should Kevin Smith decide to return to the well (again)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Plot idea for "CLERKS 3," should Kevin Smith decide to return to the well (again)

Old 06-08-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with sequels to Clerks. Of course, Clerks II was not really the first sequel to the lives of Dante and Randal - you saw them again in 2001's Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back and the short film The Flying Car.

By the time Clerks II ended, Dante and Randal were back at the start - working at the Quick Stop and video store, abeit as owners as well as workers. So now they not only have the hassle of working there (again), but the added hassles of having to deal with issues that would normally be left to the boss to handle.

Well, the idea for Clerks III would be to see these guys down the road - Dante with his wife and child, Randal with...Randal. Maybe Randal decided to find a girl and have a kid just so he could "keep up" with Dante. I don't see how owning the Quick Stop could be "the answer," because those types of places are getting "eaten up" by places like 7-11.

I guess the plot for Clerks III would be "bankruptsy." Leonardo, NJ opened up a 7-11 right next door or a block away from the Quick Stop, and Dante and Randal are forced to go belly-up.

Failures again, in their forties. Then we, as fans, can feel comfortable once again with these characters. Misery, as they say, loves company. Nobody wants to see them do well.
Old 06-08-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Plot idea for "CLERKS 3," should Kevin Smith decide to return to the well (again)

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Leonardo, NJ opened up a 7-11 right next door or a block away from the Quick Stop, and Dante and Randal are forced to go belly-up.
This is pretty much the plot for the first episode of the Clerks animated series.

I believe Smith has said that he may like to revisit the characters in their 40s, but he's in no immediate rush to do it.

Although, he may just see GOLD in Buttmunker's outline
Old 06-08-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Plot idea for "CLERKS 3," should Kevin Smith decide to return to the well (again)

From DVDtalk's own interview:

DVD Talk: Gotta ask, any realistic chance of seeing Clerks 3?

Kevin Smith: If it did, it would happen when they're in their forties. The first one was when I was in my twenties, the second one in my thirties, and I'd like to focus on them when I get to forty-three or forty-four. If we're all alive then there's a pretty good chance it'll happen. I'm sure I'll have something to say when I hit that age and I'd use Dante and Randall to express it. I don't think I'd bring Jay and Silent Bob back though. That'd be tough to explain. Like, would these dudes still be there? I don't imagine older people doing that.
Old 06-08-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nonsense, Clerks has to have Jay & Silent Bob in it
Old 06-08-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

2014 - Twenty years later Randal still grieves the loss of his friend Dante.
Old 06-08-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
I'd imagine that they'd be state senators by then.
Old 06-08-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Kevin Smith should just stick his dick in my ear because I'd have enjoyed that more than Clerks 2.
Old 06-08-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
I think Kevin Smith should just stick his dick in my ear because I'd have enjoyed that more than Clerks 2.
Old 06-08-10, 02:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

There's zero need for a Clerks 3, even if it takes place in their 40's. Kevin needs to move on, he's plenty capable of doing so.
Old 06-08-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather watch a hack directors worst films than have his dick, or anyone else's, in my ear.

FWIW, I like Clerks II the more I watch it. It isn't the first one, but it has a lot of fun moments. And a King Diamond sing-a-long!
Old 06-08-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is an unusual venue for a 'coming out'. Kudos on your bravery, sir.
Old 06-08-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never understood the very long "shifts," or lack of, for these clerks. Even when Kevin Smith actually worked at the Quick Stop, he clocked in at 6am and clocked out at 11pm. What the fff kind of crazy hours is that? People with real jobs only work eight hours!

And then, in Clerks 2, the same people worked the whole day - all three shifts - at the fast-food restaurant.

How can anyone be a "slacker" if they're working 17-hours a day?!?! Zoinks!
I didn't know that "Jay" (of Jay and Silent Bob) didn't appear on the poster for "Clerks" because the people thought he was "too weird looking to be on a poster." Then, they wanted to replace him in "Mallrats" with actor Seth Green. Man, Jay sure has a friend in Kevin Smith! (I wonder how the two were friends, since there seems to be a four-year difference in their age.) Smith, it would be a mistake to overestimate "Jay and Silent Bob." They're about as happy doing what they do as Randal is. No reason for things to change when you hit your forties.
Old 06-08-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I never understood the very long "shifts," or lack of, for these clerks. Even when Kevin Smith actually worked at the Quick Stop, he clocked in at 6am and clocked out at 11pm. What the fff kind of crazy hours is that? People with real jobs only work eight hours!

And then, in Clerks 2, the same people worked the whole day - all three shifts - at the fast-food restaurant.

How can anyone be a "slacker" if they're working 17-hours a day?!?! Zoinks!
I didn't know that "Jay" (of Jay and Silent Bob) didn't appear on the poster for "Clerks" because the people thought he was "too weird looking to be on a poster." Then, they wanted to replace him in "Mallrats" with actor Seth Green. Man, Jay sure has a friend in Kevin Smith! (I wonder how the two were friends, since there seems to be a four-year difference in their age.) Smith, it would be a mistake to overestimate "Jay and Silent Bob." They're about as happy doing what they do as Randal is. No reason for things to change when you hit your forties.
In Clerks, the whole gag was Dante wasn't supposed to be working and his relief (including the owner) all failed to show up.

In Clerks II it appeared that Randall closed the place down well before dusk for Dante's going away party.
Old 06-08-10, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I wish I could remember what episode it was, but I'm like 95% sure there's a Smodcast that outlines the beginning of their friendship.

Edit to add: Someone said something about wanting Kevin Smith's dick in their ear??!?

Last edited by notkevinbacon; 06-08-10 at 02:35 PM. Reason: kevin smith's dick in an ear request
Old 06-08-10, 02:58 PM

Seth Green as Jay? No

Seth Green in the View Askewniverse? Yes
Old 06-08-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Damn, I wish I could remember what episode it was, but I'm like 95% sure there's a Smodcast that outlines the beginning of their friendship.
They met at a rec center, and Bryan Johnson and Walt Flanagan were more friendly to Jay than Kevin was initially. I think they bonded over comics books en route to a convention, IIRC.
Old 06-08-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Could I request a Buttmunker movie sequel proposal thread? Because I could see that being awesome.
Old 06-08-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Kevin needs to move on, he's plenty capable of doing so.
I don't know about that.
Old 06-09-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
In a super-awesome ultraviolent death scene. Silent Bob brings the pain, like Luigi in The Fall. Only way to do it. That fat fuck has to be hiding something under that big coat.

Not a huge Kevin Smith fan. But I loved Clerks 2. His movies are usually based around ridiculous ideas and people talking and making funny jokes. But the two leads were totally lovable in Clerks 2. And the movie really suceeded when it got all bro-mushy and made us care about those two guys.
Old 06-09-10, 02:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Clerks II more than Clerks, but Clerks: The Animated Series is still the best thing Kevin Smith has ever been associated with.
Old 06-09-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
In Clerks, the whole gag was Dante wasn't supposed to be working and his relief (including the owner) all failed to show up.

In Clerks II it appeared that Randall closed the place down well before dusk for Dante's going away party.
Oh, come on. It's easier to bash when you don't watch the movies.
Old 06-10-10, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
This is pretty much the plot for the first episode of the Clerks animated series.

I believe Smith has said that he may like to revisit the characters in their 40s, but he's in no immediate rush to do it.

Although, he may just see GOLD in Buttmunker's outline
Quick...er Stop? I don't get it.
Old 06-10-10, 02:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Do you like my desk? It's an IKEA. I built it myself. And I have...all these...pieces left over!"
Old 06-10-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
2014 - Twenty years later Randal still grieves the loss of his friend Dante.
It's funny because we've gone half a page and I think I'm the only one that gets it. Well done though.
Old 06-10-10, 03:00 AM

Because fuck what you heard.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.