Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Water for Elephants (2011, Dir: Francis Lawrence)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished this book a couple of months ago and thought it was very good. I knew they were making this into a movie, but didn't know when. The casting choices are terrific...except Robert Pattinson is cast as Jacob. No!!!!! I can't believe they chose that wooden slack ass for the lead role. My hopes for the film have just dropped quite a bit after reading that news. The rest of the casting looks great. Filming began in May.

Reese Witherspoon as Marlena
Christoph Waltz as August
Hal Holbrook as old Jacob

IMDB doesn't have anyone listed as Uncle Al yet.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-03-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Water for Elephants (2011, Dir: Francis Lawrence)

I've never seen Pattinson in anything beyond Twilight and New Moon...I think there was a review for an earlier film of his that just got out on DVD. Think it also said something about his acting. Can't remember what it was called.
Old 06-03-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The book certainly warrants an R-rating for the film. I hope they follow it as closely as they can.
Old 12-19-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw the trailer before BLACK SWAN yesterday...looks interesting:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6b2XhXkPpg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6b2XhXkPpg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-19-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I just saw the book for the 1st time Friday, and this trailer on Saturday and I must say that both look very interesting.
Old 12-19-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The book wasen't bad, the movie looks pretty good but it reminds me A LOT of Titanic.

Holy crap, I did not see the cast list, Christoph Waltz as August and Hal Holbrook as old Jacob are going to make this movie!

Last edited by Lateralus; 12-19-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the trailer before Black Swan and thought this looked good. As long as it doesn't fail like Big Fish I might go see it.
Old 12-21-10, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that novel many months ago and was enamored by it. I really enjoyed her colorful characters, a lot of which, are developed and well cared for throughout. The plot has enough of everything to make it a grand movie.

I envisioned so vividly how this movie would play out if it were ever made; then I went on IMDB and saw it was in production. I was thrilled until I saw Pattinson on board as Jacob. Witherspoon wouldn't have been my first choice either but shes more than capable so I have hope. Christoper Waltz is absolutely perfect, however. I am ecstatic to see him take on that eccentric role.

Can't wait till its out. I'm actually reading Gruens other Novel: "Ape House". Not nearly as well crafted or interesting as Elephants, but her way with animals shine again in it.
Old 12-22-10, 08:39 PM

I liked the book a lot and from the trailer it looks to be an overall good adaptation. But, for some reason when I was reading the book I always pictured Uncle Al as Danny Devito. Not sure why, but perhaps since he played the circus character in Big Fish.

I was disappointed to learn that not only is Uncle Al not being played by Danny Devito, but his character is not even in the movie.
Old 04-24-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the depression era years, Jacob (Robert Pattison) gets some terrible news while attending Cornell, both of his parents are killed and were heavily in debt, so Jacob ends up running away. His life forever changes when he hops onboard a train, and finds himself part of a circus crew. He is met by carny folks, some take a liking to him, others don't. He earns his way onto the crew, and when the star attraction has an animal go down, his schooling in Vet sciences helps him offer advice to animal care. August (Christop Waltz) runs the Benzini circus show, and he is always under a lot of pressure to keep it going, at the expense of feeding spoiled food to the animals, discarding people in the middle of the night when it gets really tough. Marlena (Reese Witherspoon) is his young wife whose act is the main attraction of the show, and Jacob's presence creates some tension between her and August, who is also a jealous man who brooks no disloyalty.

Soon, the main act needs to be retooled, and August goes all-in with the acquisition of an elephant, and Jacob becomes the handler for the elephant, and it's tough going in the beginning, with August using a hook tool to bludgeon and coerce the large animal to act properly, but eventually they figure it out, and things take an upturn for the circus, but the culmination of August's actions have dire consequences.

The Jacob-Marlena subplot never really gets beyond the simmer point, it never takes root to anchor character motivations, so the romantic/dramatic tension of the film is sorely undercut. This keeps the overall arc of the love triangle at arm's distance for the viewer, and becomes fairly uninteresting as a star-crossed romance with the backdrop of a travelling circus.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-24-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Read the book and liked it a lot. The casting really threw me off. I don't mind Pattinson in the role of Jacob, and think they have a solid cast of actors. However, in the book Marlena is supposed to only be two or three years older than Jacob if that much. Try as they may, it is obvious Reese Witherspoon is a bit older than Pattinson. I wouldn't have any trouble if they at least acknowledged it and didn't try to fool the audience, but apparently they aren't. Furthermore, I don't agree with making August a compilation character of the book version and Uncle Al. Waltz is a fine actor, but from what I have read he just does an over the top performance, which is not what either character was about in any way.
Old 04-24-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Read the book and liked it a lot. The casting really threw me off. I don't mind Pattinson in the role of Jacob, and think they have a solid cast of actors. However, in the book Marlena is supposed to only be two or three years older than Jacob if that much. Try as they may, it is obvious Reese Witherspoon is a bit older than Pattinson. I wouldn't have any trouble if they at least acknowledged it and didn't try to fool the audience, but apparently they aren't. Furthermore, I don't agree with making August a compilation character of the book version and Uncle Al. Waltz is a fine actor, but from what I have read he just does an over the top performance, which is not what either character was about in any way.
Waltz's performance was hardly over the top. And I didn't read the book so I had no idea they combined two characters. But Waltz did a great job. You truly hate his character and want the worst to happen to him. About the movie, I loved every minute of it. But I'm a sucker for nostalgic films when they are done right. And this is one of those. Different subject matters aside, the tone and feel reminded me of "The Natural".
Old 04-25-11, 06:19 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man this thing got no love from this forum. I was highly skeptical of Pattinson, and I'm one of Reese Witherspoon's biggest detractors, but I thought the trailer looked interesting enough to give the flick a chance. I'm glad I did. The entire cast and crew did a good job with a film that shouldn't win any Oscars, but was a well told, entertaining story. Witherspoon is average, but tolerable, and Pattinson really surprised me with his fairly strong performance. I won't cringe when I see him in another movie trailer, that's for sure (unless it's the Twilight movies of course). Waltz outshines everyone, but who thought he wouldn't? The sad truth is, this is one of the five best movies I've seen so far in an absolutely shit year.
Old 04-25-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Waltz's performance was hardly over the top. And I didn't read the book so I had no idea they combined two characters. But Waltz did a great job. You truly hate his character and want the worst to happen to him. About the movie, I loved every minute of it. But I'm a sucker for nostalgic films when they are done right. And this is one of those. Different subject matters aside, the tone and feel reminded me of "The Natural".
That's kind of what I mean concerning Waltz character. In the book the character of August is often at conflict with Uncle Al and can be viewed as somewhat sympathetic. He is an individual who might truly want to be a good man, but has a darkness he can't conquer, and Uncle Al doesn't really want him doing such. In short, he wasn't a villain you wanted to have the worst happen to all the time.
Old 04-26-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the first 2/3rd were good but then it got a little heavy handed and melodramatic. Waltz was alright but I didn't think there was much chemistry between Reese and Robert. Both do a fine job, but nothing exceptional. The love story didn't feel real enough to carry the film like it is supposed to and a lot of subplots and characters feel undercooked. It wasn't a waste of time and I didn't hate it, but it was instantly forgettable IMO.
Old 04-26-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I can't help calling this one "Like Water for Elephants."
Old 04-26-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I can't help calling this one "Like Water for Elephants."
Old 12-17-11, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
The book wasen't bad, the movie looks pretty good but it reminds me A LOT of Titanic.
My wife read the book about a month ago. We had found it at a trift store in near mint condition for $1.99. She'll agree with you that the book was ok.

We watched the movie last night on BD and I told her the same thing you wrote: "This movie reminds me a lot of Titanic." I liked this movie. In a rare occasion, she liked the movie more than the book.

Last edited by darkhawk; 12-17-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-17-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

It was a decent flick.
Old 03-30-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Better than I expected. Waltz, of course, was sufficiently scary as the bipolar August. Witherspoon was fine as his wife. Pattinson was terrible and easily the worst part of the movie. I don't think he changed expressions at all, and I needed to turn on the closed captioning several times because he mumbled all his dialogue. Yes, I know it's not his natural accent.

It certainly took the glamor out of running away and joining the circus!

One thing I really liked
Spoiler:
It had a happy ending. They even took in the dead midget's dog.