Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, of course it's always just a race thing... I could have seen someone like Denzel Washington in the role even if it comes down to it not being a white guy. He seems to have the ability more to carry that rough personality. I just don't see it from Elba.
Yeah, you've got black friends, too. It's just Elba specifically you can't picture being rugged.
Old 07-20-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I've read the first two books and hope to read the rest. I know this movie won't be able to capture everything in a small movie so I will just view it as something inspired by the series than an adaptation.
Well, from Stephen King's Facebook post, and all the other info I've read, this movie isn't intended to cover the entire series, just mostly the event of the first book, with the Young Roland stuff excised and maybe some elements from later books mixed in.
Old 07-20-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah, you've got black friends, too. It's just Elba specifically you can't picture being rugged.
Okay so basically you're accusing me of being racist because I don't like the guy? That takes a lot of nerve and I don't appreciate that notion at all. For the record I've never claimed to have black friends but I also live in a predominantly white city. Not really up to me what the population around where I am is made up of. I have nothing against people of other ethnicities but I don't know many. You act as though I'm throwing out racial slurs against the guy or something. I don't think he fits the part as I'd think of it in my mind's eye, that's really all. Don't act all holier than though when you really don't know me.
Old 07-20-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay so basically you're accusing me of being racist because I don't like the guy? That takes a lot of nerve and I don't appreciate that notion at all. For the record I've never claimed to have black friends but I also live in a predominantly white city. Not really up to me what the population around where I am is made up of. I have nothing against people of other ethnicities but I don't know many. You act as though I'm throwing out racial slurs against the guy or something. I don't think he fits the part as I'd think of it in my mind's eye, that's really all. Don't act all holier than though when you really don't know me.
What are we supposed to think when you say Elba can't pull off rugged but a dude like McConaughey would have been perfect?
Old 07-20-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are we supposed to think when you say Elba can't pull off rugged but a dude like McConaughey would have been perfect?
All I meant was that when the cast was announced before I saw who was playing who I thought McConaughey would be Roland. To me that fits better because given past roles he's played I could have seen it. I didn't mean because Elba is black that he should be The Man in Black.
Old 07-20-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

If you can stomach the rest of the movie, check out Elba in Ghostrider 2. His character there is how I am picturing his Gunslinger.

The decision has been made and I don't care -- Elba is what we get. While his skin color does not fundamentally change anything about Roland, it VERY much changes a key relationship with another main character from the books. I'm guessing she isn't in this movie, so we'll have to cross that bridge if/when we get there.

I don't agree with your take on Elba, but I see where you are coming from. Outside of Pacific Rim, I don't think most people have seen him in an "action" movie; and even in Pacific Rim he did not have an "action" role. He has mostly done dramas or supporting roles.

I'm 110% in with your take on the rest of it Mike. Fools see racism/sexism at every turn -- it's what justifies their own biases. Sometimes a movie is just bad. Sometimes an actor just doesn't click with a person.

I'd actually go the other way and say Denzel doesn't click with me most of the time. I don't dislike his work, but I'm not enthralled by everything he has done. He is very talented, but I think he doesn't always stretch his wings and push himself into challenging roles. It's getting dark out, I guess I need to go light up the cross on my front lawn now.
Old 07-20-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That he doesn't think Elba can pull off rugged, but he thinks McConaughey can. Just what he said. Get over your own biases and stop projecting. Your projecting is offensive.
Old 07-20-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That he doesn't think Elba can pull off rugged, but he thinks McConaughey can. Just what he said. Get over your own biases and stop projecting. Your projecting is offensive.
No, Elba is more masculine than McConaughey.
Old 07-20-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They aren't doing shit for this at Comic-Con, which makes me think the studio has written it off even when Comic Con did do stuff for a film like RIPD -- we all know how RIPD turned out, right?
Old 07-21-17, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, from Stephen King's Facebook post, and all the other info I've read, this movie isn't intended to cover the entire series, just mostly the event of the first book, with the Young Roland stuff excised and maybe some elements from later books mixed in.
Wait, what? Nothing really happened in the first book (in relation to the other 6).
I'm still fired up to see this movie and hope to be there opening weekend.
Old 07-21-17, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I meant was that when the cast was announced before I saw who was playing who I thought McConaughey would be Roland. To me that fits better because given past roles he's played I could have seen it. I didn't mean because Elba is black that he should be The Man in Black.
I, as I'm sure like most, imagined Roland as Clint Eastwood in his Western film days. I thought it was odd to have Elba cast as Roland -- but probably because it took me three years to read all the books and Clint Eastwood was always in my mind's eye.
Old 07-21-17, 10:47 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

There’s one thing you learn very quickly about The Dark Tower director Nikolaj Arcel — the man is a dedicated fan of Stephen King‘s epic fantasy/horror/science fiction series.

We spoke during the San Diego Comic-Con in a Gaslamp District bar remade for promotional purposes into the Dixie Pig, a restaurant from King’s novels (and the upcoming film adaptation) that caters to a not-quite-human clientele and serves as a gateway between worlds. And while the bulk of our conversation was dedicated to all things Dark Tower and how he tackled this long-gestating adaptation, I had to ask him the question of the moment. Why is The Dark Tower, an adaptation of a sprawling saga that spans seven thick novels, only 95 minutes long?

And Arcel had an answer.

My full interview will run next week, but for now, here’s the exchange where we talk about that surprisingly brisk running time.

There’s one story that’s been making the rounds on the internet and I want to ask about it because I think it’s unfair to keep talking about it without having you chime in. The movie is a lot shorter than a lot of people, myself included, expected. We thought it was going to be a two and a half hour epic.

Yeah, yeah.

The knee-jerk reaction has been “That’s really short!” Can you talk about how it came to be that length?

The good news here…the reason why many fans are worried about the run time is that they think we are trying to do everything in this film. Which we are not. This is ideally the first film. This is an introduction to the world and the characters. It’s not meant to be all the novels and we’re just trying to cram everything in there. So that’s one thing. And the script was really lean and tight. When I got on board, the script was very short, very lean. That’s one of the things that attracted me to it. I said “This is smart.” You start with a lean, mean story and you don’t try to cram everything in there. You just build the basic ideas. And if people enjoy it and if they like this world and these characters, we can start expanding.
http://www.slashfilm.com/director-ni...tower-runtime/
Old 07-21-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, but if it's not successful, you're stuck with this short film no one wants to revisit.
Old 07-21-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think this should have been a series on HBO or Netflix or something. I get the feeling this will tank hard and we'll never see it continued. With a series there's more room to grow and expand the story and universe.
Old 07-21-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I still think this should have been a series on HBO or Netflix or something. I get the feeling this will tank hard and we'll never see it continued. With a series there's more room to grow and expand the story and universe.
The Dark Tower TV series is still happening...as long as the movie is a hit. Here's what we know so far.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-d...-pilot-details
Old 07-21-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but the key part of that is as long as the movie is a hit. I can see this underperforming and that series never happening. It would have been smarter to just do a season of a series and let it find its audience.
Old 07-21-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, but if it's not successful, you're stuck with this short film no one wants to revisit.
It depends on if it can stand on its own as a self-contained story in any way. If they get an ending that feels like an accomplishment in its own right, it could be rewatchable, even if there's hints of where it could continue. Something like the first Star Wars, or first Matrix, as opposed to something like The Fellowship of the Ring.

They were reserving a TV series for the Young Roland material. That said, even if this film fails, there's nothing to stop an eventual TV adaptation. Similar to how A Series of Unfortunate Events got reboot as a TV show. Or maybe how Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV Series built off of the movie without repeating it.

Regarding the interview, the Dixie Pig is from book 6, Song of Susanna. Based on this, and the trailer, it seems like they're stepping away from the more metaphysical/magical "doorways" between worlds in the books and going with sci-fi technology doorways between worlds, borrowing a fixed door location from later in the series.
Old 07-21-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but the key part of that is as long as the movie is a hit. I can see this underperforming and that series never happening. It would have been smarter to just do a season of a series and let it find its audience.
There's really no guarantee a TV series would be a hit either. Plenty of shows get cancelled after one season.
Old 07-21-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah there's no guarantee about a series lasting either or doing well but I feel like for the books since they have a lot going on in then that they would work better as a series. This movie just has the vibe of a flop in my opinion.
Old 07-21-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Right. And they skipped to add the Dixie Pig scene (book 5 or 6 I think)... which is much further in the novels than this film would entail.
Old 07-21-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It depends on if it can stand on its own as a self-contained story in any way. If they get an ending that feels like an accomplishment in its own right, it could be rewatchable, even if there's hints of where it could continue.
I hope so. I've read a lot of King stuff but didn't get into the Gunslinger even though I have the first 3 or 4 books. I'll just have to block out those that will talk about stuff that was left out.
Old 07-21-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They aren't doing shit for this at Comic-Con, which makes me think the studio has written it off even when Comic Con did do stuff for a film like RIPD -- we all know how RIPD turned out, right?
There hasn't been many panels for films that open a week or two after Comic-Con ends.

Also, Sony is saving money and not having a panel. What would they offer? Jumanji? Flatliners? Only Sony Pictures Classics showcased something this year.
Old 07-21-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony wants that franchise money but the thing about series like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings is that they appealed to fans with a mostly faithful adaptation while streamlining the story and making it digestible to a broader audience. This movie doesn't look remotely faithful to the first book, so they have an uphill battle winning over King fans while also bringing in a new audience. All while introducing a new world/mythos and making a satisfying movie that stands on its own yet leaves the audience wanting more.

They definitely have the star power, but the they're taking a risky approach here.
Old 07-21-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

When you look at it that way, they are definitely facing an uphill battle on all fronts.
Old 07-21-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that was a given from the beginning. Still no reason to pop it into neutral and make truck noises while you roll backwards though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.