Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The Dark Tower... a Ron Howard film (dear god, no)

I think Peter Jackson would be a better choice to handle this big of a project.
Old 03-17-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

One thing is for sure. Don't hold onto the planning too long. The longer it goes on, the harder it will be for people to adjust their prejudice formed during pre-production.
Old 08-03-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The Dark Tower is still being considered, may now star Russell Crowe
by Sean O'Neal August 3, 2012

To date it seems as though Ron Howard's unwieldy adaptation of The Dark Tower has as much forward momentum as Blaine The Mono sitting in the Cradle—a reference that people who haven't read the books may never get, because Howard's three Dark Tower movies and two limited-run TV series are probably never going to get made. Today's update offers a few changes to that story but, much like The Dark Tower series itself, no satisfying conclusion: Deadline reports that Warner Bros. is still considering whether it really wants to commit to the project it rescued from Universal's rejection pile, and its final decision (likely to be made within the next couple of weeks) now apparently hinges on whether Russell Crowe will sign on to star.

Crowe would be stepping in for Javier Bardem—who abandoned the role of gunslinger Roland Deschain after growing impatient with all the waiting around, just starring in James Bond movies and sleeping with Penelope Cruz to fill the hours—and already Howard, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, and producer Brian Grazer are using their A Beautiful Mind connection to lean on him. Of course, Crowe's also got plenty to do already (starring in Noah, maybe directing a Bill Hicks biopic, trying to get this damn beehive off his paw and get to the sweet, sweet honey), and it would certainly be a tall order to ask him to commit to a part that could consume the next five years or so of his life, and all but define his career thereafter. Suffice it to say, it's not a great position to be in to have your stalled, hugely ambitious project hanging on a kind word from Russell Crowe, but maybe Howard will get lucky.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-d...y-now-s,83370/

I've only read the first two books and that was in the early '90s (and I forget pretty much everything about them except for Roland calling aspirin "astin" or something; also big horseshoe crabs), so I have no clue as to whether Crowe is a good fit for the role.
Old 08-03-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Crowe as Roland? No thanks.
Old 08-03-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that would be terrible casting.
Old 08-03-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I still have a man-crush on Olyphant and while he's got a great fit, I'd take it (if you know what I mean).
Old 08-05-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Sorry to bump for no real news but, I just started reading this series (about 300 pages into The Drawing of the Three aka The Dark Tower II). Really enjoying the series thus far, the second book has been really interesting if you ask me. On the topic of a film I really have to say I can't picture Crowe as Roland at all. It should be someone who looks like they have a bit more wear and age to them if you ask me. Javier Bardem would have worked well, too bad he dropped out. I also think they should just scrap the idea of making these books into movies and just turn it into an HBO series. Seems like it could be done justice much better that way.
Old 08-05-12, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only way the last three books could be any worse is Ron Howard made them into movies.
Old 08-05-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Sorry to bump for no real news but, I just started reading this series (about 300 pages into The Drawing of the Three aka The Dark Tower II). Really enjoying the series thus far, the second book has been really interesting if you ask me. On the topic of a film I really have to say I can't picture Crowe as Roland at all. It should be someone who looks like they have a bit more wear and age to them if you ask me. Javier Bardem would have worked well, too bad he dropped out. I also think they should just scrap the idea of making these books into movies and just turn it into an HBO series. Seems like it could be done justice much better that way.
That book was always my favorite in the series. I really want to revisit these books again soon, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

And I'm glad Bardem dropped out. I never liked him for the role. Maybe that's because I always pictured a young Clint Eastwood as Roland when I read the books, but I also think Bardem's look, his features, are just too unique. I don't think I mind Crowe for the role at all.
Old 08-05-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tyler Perry has expressed interest in directing and starring as Roland Deschain.
Old 08-05-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
That book was always my favorite in the series. I really want to revisit these books again soon, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

And I'm glad Bardem dropped out. I never liked him for the role. Maybe that's because I always pictured a young Clint Eastwood as Roland when I read the books, but I also think Bardem's look, his features, are just too unique. I don't think I mind Crowe for the role at all.
For some reason I guess I've pictured Roland as a more scruffy type but I could be off. Crowe just seems too pretty boy in my opinion.
Old 08-06-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I always pictured a young Clint Eastwood as Roland
Ditto
Old 08-06-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I always pictured a young Clint Eastwood as Roland.
Hasn't King stated that Roland was heavily based on Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" character? Wikipedia states this, although there's no citeation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)
Old 08-06-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only way to make the Jake issue work would be
Spoiler:
Animate his character.

That's the only way i could see it working.
Old 08-06-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes I believe King has admitted that Clint Eastwood from the Man with No Name Trilogy was the main inspiration for the look of Roland. He either says this in one of the novels, or a preface or afterword or whatever from one of the books.

Obviously Clint is too old for the part now, I still say Viggo Mortenson is the best option.
Old 08-07-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Russel Crowe did an okay job in the Quick and the Dead. I could see him as Roland, possibly. He's surely a better fit than Bardem. I like Viggo best out of those mentioned here.

I'm still not convinced this will see the light of day. And I'm even less convinced it could be done well. But there's always hope, I suppose.
Old 08-07-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Spoiler:
Animate his character.

lol WUT?
Old 08-07-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Animate his character.

Why? Jake is like 13 in the books I believe. Get a decent child actor to play him and it would work out fine.
Old 08-07-12, 01:42 PM
Suspended

I saw Night Shift for the first time the other day. It was okay nothing great, i don't get why they all went out of business after he invested all that money for the girls I mean they had over 100K which is like a million in todays money.
Old 08-07-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I saw Night Shift for the first time the other day. It was okay nothing great, i don't get why they all went out of business after he invested all that money for the girls I mean they had over 100K which is like a million in todays money.
I had that recorded but started watching and couldn't even make it twenty minutes in. I liked the short story a lot but god that movie was dreadful..
Old 08-07-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Guy Pearce!
Old 08-07-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Why? Jake is like 13 in the books I believe. Get a decent child actor to play him and it would work out fine.
It's been awhile since reading the books but i thought Jake
Spoiler:
Never ages?
Old 08-07-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

It's been awhile since reading the books but i thought Jake
Spoiler:
Never ages?
The problem with Jake is:
Spoiler:
while he does age, the character doesn't age at the rate the actor playing him likely would in the time it takes to film all the books, excepting maybe as a TV show. Even then, I think the books take place only over a series of months, not years, so it'd have to be a fast show.

Part of the solution would be to simply have the movies take place over a longer length of time than the books. Say a year passed between book one and book two, and between book 3 and 4, etc. Susanna's pregnancy would be an issue (conceived in book 3, born in book 7), but as it's a demonic one, maybe it has a different incubation period. Or maybe move the conception to a later book. Or hell, drop the pregnancy altogether (along with the majority of book 6).
Old 08-07-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Hire Frank Darabont to write a better part 5, 6, and 7.
Old 08-20-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

First Universal dropped out, now Warner has dropped out. Media Rights Capital (Ted & Elysium) is in serious talks to take on The Dark Tower.

Unfortunately Ron Howard is still on board and is still eyeing Russel Crowe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.