Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Old 09-21-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I need to finish these books, I got bogged down in #6 and never finished.
Song of Susannah is awful, nothing happens, but book 7 (The Dark Tower) is much better, even if some parts feel rushed as King tries to wrap everything up. I did like The Wind Through the Keyhole too, although it's more like a side story than part of the main series.
Old 10-10-16, 11:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

leaked unfinished trailer. Likely to be pulled soon...
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/186275513" width="640" height="411" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

【決戰異世界:弒血之戰】最新預告 from kldrc on Vimeo.

Old 10-10-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pumped me up for it!
Old 10-10-16, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never read the books but.. how well does all that represent the books to you guys?

I didn't know it took place in the modern to a degree. I thought it was all just set in a western genre era.
Old 10-10-16, 01:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It's... different. I've only read the first three books, but my understanding is that the film is tied to them, but in a different way. Spoiler?

Spoiler:
a different cycle with the same characters. Something like that.

Anyway. Yeah, the modern suburb-type stuff is in the original story, although it plays out differently than I remember from before.
Old 10-10-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 10-10-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

False
Old 10-10-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, they are on it!
Just click the title and it'll shoot you over to YouTube and view there.
Old 10-10-16, 01:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The video you posted isn't the trailer for this movie at all. It's... pretty obvious.
DVD Talk Hero

But it's not there either. That's what I meant. Some Elijah Wood movie called Deep Dark?
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly.
Old 10-10-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait ... what the shit. That was not where that link went. Guess a troll post on YT. Oh well. Sorry about that guys.
Old 10-10-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Never read the books but.. how well does all that represent the books to you guys?

I didn't know it took place in the modern to a degree. I thought it was all just set in a western genre era.
It's certainly different. Most of the scenes seem pulled from the 3rd book, possibly the 4th also if the brunette girl is supposed to be a character named Susan.
And that portal Jake goes through is very different. It looks like stargate tech in that trailer, but in the book it's got much more of a haunted house/horror slant rather than a sci fi one.
Old 10-10-16, 06:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Looked pretty good to me...
Old 11-03-16, 09:40 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Makes sense. I don't know why this was coming out in February anyway.

The gunslinger’s journey to The Dark Tower has hit a detour.

A film version of Stephen King’s apocalyptic saga was originally set for release on Feb. 17, but now will shift to the summer of 2017, sources close to the film tell EW.

The movie stars Idris Elba as Roland the Gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as a sorcerer known as the Man in Black, both of whom are on a quest to reach the mystical tower that stands at the nexus of countless dimensions.

Principal photography for the Nikolaj Arcel-directed film wrapped on schedule in late July, but the plan to have a completed film ready to screen six months later proved to be overly ambitious. Now, Sony Pictures and production company MRC have decided post-production can’t be finished in that timeframe and are about to inform theater owners of the change.

Sources close to the movie tell EW it’s a matter of needing deadline extensions on the visual effects, as well as more lead-up to promote the film.

A trailer leak last month featured mostly rough visual effects, and the filmmakers have discovered that the aggressive February timeline isn’t enough time to get the sci-fi/fantasy epic into shape, given its financial constraints. The film has a surprisingly low cost of about $60 million, and the choice was either to add millions more to the budget to speed up the work, or push to a later date. “It’s a very fiscally responsible budget, and trying to stay in budget to make money and stay profitable means the VFX won’t be finished in time [for February],” one source tells EW, on condition of anonymity. “Now that there’s more time, they’re not paying rush charges to get the effects where they need to be.”

This also will allow more time to publicize the movie, which hopes to become a multi-film franchise, with a spin-off TV show already in the works.

Only four months from release, there’s still no trailer. And the film recently dropped out of EW’s PopFest a week before the fan gathering, with the studio indicating the footage set to be previewed wasn’t ready. Ever since, fans have been speculating that the movie might be wavering on its February target.

A new release date wasn’t available, the sources said, because a new weekend hasn’t been selected yet. A formal announcement is expected as soon as that’s settled.

Sony and MRC did not immediately return requests for comment.

The story of The Dark Tower, which King has unspooled over seven novels, a handful of short stories, and even a comic book series, is a mix of gunplay and magic, a fusion of genres ranging from science fiction and horror to Westerns and Tolkien-esque fantasy.

Mounting a film adaptation has been almost as epic a quest, with J.J. Abrams attempting a version years ago, then Ron Howard, who nearly got the greenlight before it proved to be too costly a gamble for most studios. With Arcel (best known for the Danish film A Royal Affair) at the helm, Howard has stepped back to produce.

King is not directly involved but has served as an unofficial consultant on the project. Screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, who won the Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, wrote the script with Arcel and co-writer Anders Thomas Jensen.

Fans of the novels can take heart that the film has been shot and is definitely still moving forward. The destination, much like the Tower in the story, has just turned out to be further off than anyone realized.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03...d-stephen-king
Old 11-03-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This movie is gonna get ripped a new asshole on release. Having Elba in the role to begin with was a bad move. The more i watch the guy these days the more i don't care for his acting. Taking the cheap route for this series is also a massive problem. Thee movies needed to be given the budget to truly show the worlds King created on paper.
Old 11-03-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
This movie is gonna get ripped a new asshole on release. Having Elba in the role to begin with was a bad move. The more i watch the guy these days the more i don't care for his acting.
While you may not care for him, Idris Elba is a well respected and popular actor. There was even a push for him to be the next Bond. So I don't think his performance alone will sink the film.

Taking the cheap route for this series is also a massive problem. Thee movies needed to be given the budget to truly show the worlds King created on paper.
Sometimes time is more important than money, and it can be surprising how far an FX budget can go these days. It's not like $60 million is chump change, especially if they're not paying tens of millions for "star" actors. The movie Serenity had a budget of $39 million, and it looked a lot more expensive than that.

I think this story reveals that potentially a lot of the FX budget for big-budget films is in getting the man-power on the project to rush it out the door in time. A smaller team could do the same work for a lot less money if given the time, but instead you see the FX work farmed out to a dozen or so FX houses for one film, which in turn increases the overhead for the production team to keep all that coordinated.
Old 11-03-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I can foresee the alt-righters getting their panties in a bunch over Elba's casting.
Old 11-04-16, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never read the books, I've no opinion of Elba in this. The dude is a solid actor though. So I'm always game to see him in something.
Old 11-04-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

This movie is gonna get ripped a new asshole on release. Having Elba in the role to begin with was a bad move. The more i watch the guy these days the more i don't care for his acting. Taking the cheap route for this series is also a massive problem. Thee movies needed to be given the budget to truly show the worlds King created on paper.
I like Elba, and I think he would have been a great Walter. In fact if they had flipped McConaughey and Elba then I would probably be looking forward to this more. It just Roland being Caucasian is a pretty big character point if/when they introduce Detta Walker. I'm willing to give it a shot though.

Of course, I also think large swaths of this whole story are essentially unfilmable, especially in a two hour movie, so I'm not quite sure why they even decided to attempt it.
Old 11-04-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

I can see the movie makers dropping the Detta Walker character entirely. Nobody would be comfortable with an exploration of the effects of racism in an action movie.

They can keep the binaries of old/young, male/female, black/white, and walking/crippled. If they skip the crazy/sane, everyone will still get the point.
Old 11-04-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I can see the movie makers dropping the Detta Walker character entirely. Nobody would be comfortable with an exploration of the effects of racism in an action movie.

They can keep the binaries of old/young, male/female, black/white, and walking/crippled. If they skip the crazy/sane, everyone will still get the point.
I hadn't though about it in those terms, that makes pretty good sense.
Old 11-04-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought this movie kind of served as a continuation of the books.

Spoiler:
Basically picking up where the last book ended, which is essentially right where the first book started, right, chasing the MiB? It's been a long time since I've read the books. If that's the case, then nothing that happened in the books is guaranteed to happen in the movies. We know Jake is there, but that doesn't mean he has to necessarily pick up the rest of the group along the way.
Old 11-04-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Correct, but to my knowledge only
Spoiler:
slight variations between iterations change between each of Roland's journeys/resets.

Then again, maybe I interpreted things wrong.
Old 11-04-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
But that could easily change depending on what effect the Horn of Eld has on the ending of the books' iteration.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.