Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hobo With A Shotgun

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hobo With A Shotgun

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Re: Hobo With A Shotgun

hmm, I don't know what to think. Half the posters here say it sucked and the other half could hardly type a response between their "hobo"erotic orgasm sessions...
Old 04-06-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. Full review in my sig. This is what Machete should have been, and is closer to 42nd street NY in the 70s than Grindhouse could ever hope for.
Old 04-06-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it a lot, the colors in the movie were awesome, lots of over-the-top moments, pretty much what you expect from a Grindhouse-type movie. That being said, I enjoyed Machete, Death Proof, and Planet Terror more, still a great flick though.
Old 04-07-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Early May it is

Wed, May 4th - 10:00 PM

Wed, May 4th - 11:30 PM

Thu, May 5th - 1:00 AM

Nice!!! Does anyone have a link to the list of HDNET Movies Sneek Peek release list by date? I used to have a link and did a search but nada.
Old 04-07-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Early May it is

Wed, May 4th - 10:00 PM

Wed, May 4th - 11:30 PM

Thu, May 5th - 1:00 AM

Killer! Thanks for the info sauce!

Larry, here's the link to their sneak preview page: http://www.hdnetmovies.com/program_c...sneak-preview/
Old 04-07-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Killer! Thanks for the info sauce!

Larry, here's the link to their sneak preview page: http://www.hdnetmovies.com/program_c...sneak-preview/

Thanks gmanca I ran across this page and maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but before they had a long list of premieres for the next 6 months or so.
Old 04-07-11, 12:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah, I gotcha; that would be nice to have, even for the other films they play.
Old 04-07-11, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Ah, I gotcha; that would be nice to have, even for the other films they play.
Yeah I used to have a link to a page that listed all their pre-theatrical releases. I remember Splinter, Mutant Chronicles, Shrooms and so forth.
Old 04-07-11, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
I liked it a lot, the colors in the movie were awesome, lots of over-the-top moments, pretty much what you expect from a Grindhouse-type movie. That being said, I enjoyed Machete, Death Proof, and Planet Terror more, still a great flick though.
I agree with this 100%. Planet Terror is THE Grindhouse film for me. This was good, but leaned more towards Robocop in terms of over-the-top characters, language, violence, etc. Very few winks and nods to the Grindhouse-era films the others have. I'm not let down, but its a different film than the others. Expected a little more humor.

Not bad, but not the best film I've watched this year.
Old 04-09-11, 06:17 PM

This only lastest a week in the theater close to me. This was one big disappointment for me. There was very little fun factor, unlike Machete/Planet Terror/etc. Yet it was too over-the-top and silly to take as a serious grindhouse flick. I dunno....maybe the expectations killed it for me, but I found this only ok. I was expecting much better.
Old 04-11-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
hmm, I don't know what to think. Half the posters here say it sucked and the other half could hardly type a response between their "hobo"erotic orgasm sessions...
This is exactly the reason critic reviews and people opinions very rarely sway my opinion about if I want to see a movie or not. If the trailer makes me want to see it I do regardless of what anyone may say. The trailer for this made me want to see it. I liked Grindhouse and Machete that and the enthusiasm for it here prompted me to get this from the PSN yesterday.

If I would not have paid to watch it I would have quit watching it. Very poorly made even for the type of movie it is. I would compare this to a Troma movie because that is the type of movie that it is. Over the top bad acting with crappy dialogue and piss poor effects. That is it in a nutshell. Basically everything you see in one of their productions. Anyway... I would not recommend it to anyone even if you liked Grindhouse or Machete. At least you could tell there was some skill at moviemaking going on in those. Someone mentioned another film called Street Trash if you like those type of movies or love Troma ones then this will be right up your alley. Or at least wait until you can see it for free on HDNET.
Old 04-11-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Over the top bad acting with crappy dialogue and piss poor effects"

That describes Grindhouse and Machete perfectly
Old 04-11-11, 03:27 PM

I've never used Amazon VOD, but I think I'm gonna try it out for this one.
Old 04-11-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems like everyone complaining about the movie is complaining about things that make a grindhouse movie a grindhouse movie.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 04-11-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
It seems like everyone complaining about the movie is complaining about things that make a grindhouse movie a grindhouse movie.
You could be right. But on the other hand, I've seen and enjoyed quite a few grindhouse movies in my day. I think many, like myself, were expected it to be more like Grindhouse/Machete. They were a lot of fun and never took themselves too serious. Hobo just didn't seem to find it's groove. Sure, there is a lot of crazy sh*t going on, but the fun just seemed drained from it.

Last edited by JHosk; 04-12-11 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 07:28 PM

Not sure if anyone has read Brian Orndorf's review on here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49179...ith-a-shotgun/

Gotta agree with this quote:

"There's a lot of agony on display, which, I presume, is meant to translate into a rollicking sick time of exploitative delights. Unfortunately, there's no panache to Eisener's lumpy direction, which is often perfectly content smearing the viscera on the camera lens, creating a tremendously unsettling aura of sadism instead of chunky, schlocky merriment. "

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts, although he phrased much more eloquently
Old 04-11-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it, but it was far too wink, wink, nudge, nudge and far too cartoon-y. The original trailer had a very 70s feel that I missed in the film.
Old 04-12-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit

I have seen many so called grindhouse movies in my day at the theater and drive-in back in the 70's and 80's, so I am familiar with what things make a grindhouse movie. But see not every one of them were good films or even worth watching. Some stood out and others deservedly were trashed by reviewers and the people who saw them. Just because they attempted to make a trashy 70's style film is not enough for me to enjoy it and the film makers should not just get a pass for this poor attempt. As others have mentioned Machete, Planet Terror and Death Proof has shown when done correctly they can be enjoyable films. IMHO this was not a very good attempt at it and not a film even worth watching.

So if you have seen it and enjoy it great. I wanted to enjoy it but didn't; to each their own.

Originally Posted by JHosk
Not sure if anyone has read Brian Orndorf's review on here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49179...ith-a-shotgun/

Gotta agree with this quote:

"There's a lot of agony on display, which, I presume, is meant to translate into a rollicking sick time of exploitative delights. Unfortunately, there's no panache to Eisener's lumpy direction, which is often perfectly content smearing the viscera on the camera lens, creating a tremendously unsettling aura of sadism instead of chunky, schlocky merriment. "

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts, although he phrased much more eloquently

Even that review is too kind.
Old 04-12-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHosk
You could be right. But on the other hand, I've seen and enjoyed quite a few grindhouse movies in my day. I think many, like myself, were expected it to be more like Grindhouse/Machete. They were a lot of fun and never took themselves too serious. Hobo just didn't seem to find it's groove. Sure, there is a lot of crazy sh*t going on, but the fun just seemed drained from it.
I think one of Machete's biggest downfalls is that it took itself too seriously. Most of the movie outside of what we saw in trailers was a lot of political bullshit about whether or not immigration is okay. And that is fine, if you want to put a message in your movie go ahead. But making a movie in the vein of 70s exploitation and making them too preachy doesn't make sense to me. Especially when you give away all of your fun stuff in the trailers.
Old 04-12-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did Hobo have any CGI in it? If it did I hope it wasn't the blood. Grindhouse films should NEVER has CGI specially CGI blood. That took me out of Machete.
Old 04-12-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Did Hobo have any CGI in it? If it did I hope it wasn't the blood. Grindhouse films should NEVER has CGI specially CGI blood. That took me out of Machete.
all gore effects were practical.
Old 04-27-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This film was everything that I wanted Machete to be. Outrageous, disgusting, absurd. It started off slow and I wish we would have gotten to see more of The Plague, but I loved it.

"Look at her. What do you see?"
"I don't know man. She's just a fuck tube."
Old 05-03-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Release Schedule For May/June:

http://jabcatmovies.com/2011/04/hobo...ease-schedule/
Old 05-04-11, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks asianxcore!

Even though I've already watched it On Demand, me and my friend (who hasn't seen it) are heading to the Carolina Asheville 14 on June 10th. I can't wait to see it with an audience.
Old 05-04-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I saw this a few weeks back, and I enjoyed it...certainly more than the other recent homages to B exploitation films like Machete and the two Grindhouse features. Not sure if I'll buy it though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.