Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Raging Phoenix - Martial Arts starring the female Tony Jaa

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-16-10, 08:01 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Starring JeeJa Yanin from Chocolate

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1551621/
and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183252/

Basically the female Tony Jaa

Very enjoyable martial arts movies

both available on bluray
Old 04-16-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Raging Phoenix - Martial Arts starring the female Tony Jaa

someone on here did a little write up for it in the "Chocolate" thread and said it was really bad.

I assume you got a import version.
Here's the trailer
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejM7ZCEzs5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejM7ZCEzs5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh and i really enjoyed Chocolate, with my jaw on the floor during several sequences.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 04-16-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah we talked about it for a bit. Did anyone get chocolate on Blu btw? How was that?
Old 04-16-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yeah we talked about it for a bit. Did anyone get chocolate on Blu btw? How was that?
It apparently has solid picture and audio but hardly any extras.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chocol...y-Review/3103/
Old 04-16-10, 10:21 PM
Banned

reading up on it now.....it has the same as the DVD. Guess I'll get the Blu when it's cheap.
Old 04-17-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen "Raging Phoenix" and I found it disappointing compared to "Chocolate."

Though it seemed liked it had a larger budget with JeeJa Yanin showing more confidence in her performance, the whole film just felt very mediocre. The fight scenes had some mix of "hip hop" movements which made them very contrived and the final scenes, though long, seemed like it was taken out of a video game.
Old 04-17-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^in other words, if i can find it cheap, go for it, if not, wait till the eventual US release
Old 04-17-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

reading up on it now.....it has the same as the DVD. Guess I'll get the Blu when it's cheap.
All of the English friendly releases have the same extras pretty much. Most of them are EPK type stuff chopped up and reorganized into "featurettes". It gets very repetitive.
Old 04-18-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blu-Ray is great, lousy extras but a must-own for the film. As for this movie, I have to disagree with the OP that says its good, it really isn't in fact its tough to sit through. Fights are incredible natually & I actually like Jija a LOT more than Jaa, but it just isn't a very good movie, Chocolate is much better as a film.
Old 04-18-10, 05:56 PM
Banned

That's for sure...the gal is a lot more able to act and be convincing in comparison to Jaa. I'm sure most of us are better than Jaa as actors. He's I think one of the worst actors I've seen in action stars. Take that as you will.
Old 04-18-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

As people already stated, the PQ and AQ of Chocolate is very good. Too bad about the extras but I got it cheap so I can't complain.
Old 04-18-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's I think one of the worst actors I've seen in action stars. Take that as you will.
That doesn't bother me, most action stars or martial artists if not all are terrible actors. Jet Li has grown light years but he was one of the worst for a better part of his career. The problem is Jaa has & still has zero screen presence. That & except for the unique exception in Jackie Chan who used it as a positive, there is absolutely nothing "cool" about Jaa outside of his physical ability. A martial arts star could get by without good acting if he has the "cool" factor. I think Jija has a little bit of both.
Old 04-18-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Does this have even a marginally better plot/story than Chocolate? Each new feature I've seen from Baa-Ram-Ewe (starting with Ong-Bak) has had equally good (if not slightly increasingly impressive) fight sequences, and a massive, sheer drop in everything else (The Protector numbed my brain cells, and Chocolate was near-unwatchable, IMO). I know the story's not the point, but if it's so far below adequate, eventually I'm going to have a hard time sticking with it.
Old 04-19-10, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Does this have even a marginally better plot/story than Chocolate? Each new feature I've seen from Baa-Ram-Ewe (starting with Ong-Bak) has had equally good (if not slightly increasingly impressive) fight sequences, and a massive, sheer drop in everything else (The Protector numbed my brain cells, and Chocolate was near-unwatchable, IMO). I know the story's not the point, but if it's so far below adequate, eventually I'm going to have a hard time sticking with it.
I thought Raging Phoenix had the weakest plot/script of all the films you mentioned. The trailers are a bit misleading in terms of the tone of the flick. The trailer would have you believe the movie would have a serious human trafficing element, where in reality the movie goes in some pretty bizarre directions:

Spoiler:
The kidnapped people are brought to an underground layer because their phermones can be used to make a special potion that gives Billionaire's extended life. I sh*t you not.
Old 04-19-10, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JHosk
I thought Raging Phoenix had the weakest plot/script of all the films you mentioned. The trailers are a bit misleading in terms of the tone of the flick. The trailer would have you believe the movie would have a serious human trafficing element, where in reality the movie goes in some pretty bizarre directions:

Spoiler:
The kidnapped people are brought to an underground layer because their phermones can be used to make a special potion that gives Billionaire's extended life. I sh*t you not.
.....wow. That's about as bad as that Jaa movie where an elephant is in it.
Old 04-19-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Does this have even a marginally better plot/story than Chocolate?
Definitely not, if you didn't like Chocolate, don't even rent this you will hate it.