Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kick-Ass (Vaughn, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Kick-Ass (Vaughn, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
22.44%
16.67%
32.05%
14.74%
5.77%
3.85%
0%
0%
0.64%
0%
1.28%
I’m glad I can’t see through walls for this!
2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Kick-Ass (Vaughn, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Kick-Ass (Vaughn, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Given the critics reaction, I went in expecting (but not wanting) a lot of profanity and a lot of gore. In fact, the reviews (even the positive ones) almost kept me away from the theater. The movie is nowhere near as violent as most R-rated action flicks, nor is it as profane as most typical comedies these days (it's nowhere near as foul-mouthed as any of Judd Apatow or Kevin Smith's comedies). I think the critics scared a lot of people off with their comments.

This was the most fun I've had so far at the movies this year, and while I expect to see better movies in 2010, I'm also going to remember Kick-Ass as a great moviegoing experience.
Old 04-18-10, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most fun I've had watching a movie in the theater. Never read the comic, just kept up with trailers online. Loved every minute of it. I did though today buy and read the book and like the movie storylines better. Going back this weekend. Carmike Theater isn't carrying Liongates so I gotta drive an hour to watch it and the Losers. grrr
Old 04-18-10, 10:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Did this movie sit on the shelf for a while? The copyright at the end was 2009, and I saw 2008 dates on some of the background posters in the comic book shop.
Old 04-18-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarbyD53
Most fun I've had watching a movie in the theater. Never read the comic, just kept up with trailers online. Loved every minute of it. I did though today buy and read the book and like the movie storylines better. Going back this weekend. Carmike Theater isn't carrying Liongates so I gotta drive an hour to watch it and the Losers. grrr
Unless you're in another country, The Losers is WB.
Old 04-19-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I remember Portman killing people (at least one) in the directors cut. You should definitely check out the DC if you haven't. Much better than the TC.
Your memory is off. Her character was written to kill the jogger (who was originally just a guy sitting on a bench) instead of shooting him with paint and appear fully nude at another point in the movie (where she was to walk out of the shower and make a failed attempt to arouse a very uncomfortable Lιon) but her parents demanded those scenes be either removed or rewritten before they allowed her to be in the movie.
Old 04-19-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mhg83
I remember Portman killing people (at least one) in the directors cut. You should definitely check out the DC if you haven't. Much better than the TC.
I think you're thinking of drug-dealing Client #1, played by Robert LaSardo, who Portman shoots twice at point blank, using her lunchbox gun, with the silencer. However, she uses paintballs again.

She is present for many killings, which certainly gives that impression. But she doesn't actually kill anyone.
Old 04-19-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed this movie. I am for now considering this my favorite movie of the year. Lets see how the year goes and see if anything tops that for me.

The movie was really fun, and as mentioned Hit Girl made the movie, without her it would have been another Ho Hum superhero movie. I will be totally pissed if there isn't a sequel after that ending.
Old 04-19-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I've heard it's quite violent. I'm thinking on taking my 6 month old. Will it be suitable?
Actually, there was a father-of-the year in our row, with about 6 kids ranging in age from 6 to 9 that he looked to be baby-sitting for the night. Not sure if I was more taken aback that he'd take these kids to a movie like this or that the kids never flinched and he didn't seem to entertain the notion of leaving the movie before it was over. He did cover up the eyes of one of the girls he brought during the part of the movie where the kid fantasizes about his teacher though. So, as always, violence and language: okay, titties: BAD!
Old 04-19-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Actually, there was a father-of-the year in our row, with about 6 kids ranging in age from 6 to 9 that he looked to be baby-sitting for the night. Not sure if I was more taken aback that he'd take these kids to a movie like this or that the kids never flinched and he didn't seem to entertain the notion of leaving the movie before it was over. He did cover up the eyes of one of the girls he brought during the part of the movie where the kid fantasizes about his teacher though. So, as always, violence and language: okay, titties: BAD!
I fucking hate that mentality. Seriously if you are going to let them see the violence then let them see the sexuality, either way good or bad parent, you are at least not a fucking hypocrite.
Old 04-19-10, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto. I'll never understand the US mentality for that. I'm glad I'm born in the US but my family is not American. In fact, I thought all the nude scenes in the action movies I grew up with were boring...lol. I didn't give a care about Titties flying around in Silent Rage, I wanted Chuck Norris to Texas Ranger that psycho's ass.
Old 04-20-10, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was probably the worst movie i've seen in a while. This was barely even a movie. Matthew Vaughan isn't a director. This was a frankenstein movie. It's almost as if he had no idea whatsoever how to shoot the movie, so he just ran demos of various filmmaking styles regardless of how incongruous it is with the scene at hand. I also felt the "for the love of god, we have to make a 30-minute movie stretch out to 2 hours" vibe I got with 300, Team America: World Police, Superman Returns, and a host of other crappy movies that were way too long with nothing happening.

This movie clearly wasn't a comedy because there were so many scenes that were serious in tone. And it's not a serious movie because.... well, you can't take these characters seriously. They're not characters; they have no dimension. I could only stand in awe of their sheer stupidity, and it wasn't funny. It wasn't tragic either. It was horrific. It was like watching a horror film that's shot like a family film.
Old 04-20-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Seeing it again on Wed and once more Friday night which will make about five screenings for me.

For some damn reason, this film and audience gets better with each repeat viewing.

Haters can go suck
Spoiler:
that big cock in the sky

I still when I here Hitgirl refer to their "signal"
Old 04-20-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I've seen it twice. I can't get enough of Hit Girl, Big Daddy, The English teacher, and the self-tanning scene.
Old 04-20-10, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by giantrobo
i've seen it twice. I can't get enough of hit girl, big daddy, the english teacher, and the self-tanning scene.
a-fucking-men!
Old 04-20-10, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
This was probably the worst movie i've seen in a while. This was barely even a movie. Matthew Vaughan isn't a director. This was a frankenstein movie. It's almost as if he had no idea whatsoever how to shoot the movie, so he just ran demos of various filmmaking styles regardless of how incongruous it is with the scene at hand. I also felt the "for the love of god, we have to make a 30-minute movie stretch out to 2 hours" vibe I got with 300, Team America: World Police, Superman Returns, and a host of other crappy movies that were way too long with nothing happening.

This movie clearly wasn't a comedy because there were so many scenes that were serious in tone. And it's not a serious movie because.... well, you can't take these characters seriously. They're not characters; they have no dimension. I could only stand in awe of their sheer stupidity, and it wasn't funny. It wasn't tragic either. It was horrific. It was like watching a horror film that's shot like a family film.
I thought most Live action family films were horror.
Old 04-20-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

That has been my biggest worry. Vaughn doesn't seem particularly great with tone in his previous two outings (the overly serious Layer Cake and the incredibly uneven and frankly boring Stardust), but this still looks entertaining ... hoping to enjoy it when I finally see it this weekend.
Old 04-20-10, 09:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I know I'm in a minority around here, but I thought Stardust was great. I haven't seen Layer Cake, but based on Vaughn's other two films I need to get to that ASAP.
Old 04-20-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave Stardust a chance mostly because people around here raved about it so much. I don't think you're as alone as you think
Old 04-20-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I know I'm in a minority around here, but I thought Stardust was great. I haven't seen Layer Cake, but based on Vaughn's other two films I need to get to that ASAP.
Same, I thought Stardust was fantastic and haven't seen Layer Cake. Makes me wonder how Vaughn would have done with X3.
Old 04-20-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I LOVED Stardust completely. Haven't seen Layer Cake. In relation to Stardust, Kick-Ass is a complete disappointment.
Old 04-20-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I LOVED Stardust completely. Haven't seen Layer Cake. In relation to Stardust, Kick-Ass is a complete disappointment.
Hokey check out Layer Cake its great.
Old 04-20-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vaughn is 3 for 3 in my books. Didn't LOVE Layer Cake on a first viewing but it grew on me. Stardust however, I flipped my shit for. Ditto for Kick-Ass.
Old 04-20-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Layer Cake is pretty great, IMO. Requires a lot of attention to detail, to follow all of its twists and turns, but it's very entertaining. Didn't see Stardust yet.
Old 04-20-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Layer Cake felt really generic to me.
Old 04-20-10, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Layer Cake was excellent, and Stardust was even better. Kick-Ass is the weakest of Vaughn's movies, but he's 3 for 3 in my opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.