Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016, D: Emmerich)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016, D: Emmerich)

Old 03-27-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
re: Independence Day Parts 2 & 3 (D: Emmerich)

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Interesting. What would Pullman be since he would no longer be POTUS?
I'm going to guess they've waved the two-term limit for him in light of what he did for the planet. That or he'll be president of the whole world or something like that. All the nations unite after facing a common enemy, and pick him to lead. Seems pretty cliche but that's what I'd expect.
Old 03-27-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who gives...its about destruction, explosions and mind numbing story...- mindset of the director
Old 03-27-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Interesting. What would Pullman be since he would no longer be POTUS?
Maybe he'd just be on a speaking tour or something, and/or promoting a book. He comes out of retirement to lead the charge against the aliens, I guess.
Old 03-27-13, 10:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 03-27-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'll pass.
Old 03-27-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I love Independence Day. I'd be interested in seeing the sequels. The original was fun, it was entertaining. And I just love alien invasion films in general, so I'm definitely down with this pair of sequels.
Old 03-27-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Did they ever say if Bill Pullman was a first or second term president? If so, he could've lost the election after helping save the world and still be eligible to run in 2016.
Old 03-27-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the science in that quote is totally wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he implying that if the aliens sent a distress call and their homeward received it and then travelled to Earth through wormholes, that the time it took from when they sent the distress to when reinforcements arrived was say 2 weeks, 20 years would have passed on Earth? I don't think that's how it works? If the aliens got here in 2 weeks then only 2 weeks would have passed here on Earth.

Like say a wormhole suddenly appeared on your back porch, you stepped through it and instantly got transported to some planet 100 light years away. Say you spent a day there and then came back. Only one day would have passed on Earth...not 200 years and 1 day right? If not, then what would be the point of sending a distress signal? "Hey, we need some help here...we'll see you in 20 years."
Old 03-27-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I think the science in that quote is totally wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he implying that if the aliens sent a distress call and their homeward received it and then travelled to Earth through wormholes, that the time it took from when they sent the distress to when reinforcements arrived was say 2 weeks, 20 years would have passed on Earth? I don't think that's how it works? If the aliens got here in 2 weeks then only 2 weeks would have passed here on Earth.

Like say a wormhole suddenly appeared on your back porch, you stepped through it and instantly got transported to some planet 100 light years away. Say you spent a day there and then came back. Only one day would have passed on Earth...not 200 years and 1 day right? If not, then what would be the point of sending a distress signal? "Hey, we need some help here...we'll see you in 20 years."
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The only way it makes sense is if the distress call took 25 years to reach the aliens and then they came right away through wormholes.
Old 03-27-13, 10:58 AM
Banned by request

Stargate and ID4 were the only two movies Emmerich got right. I have no desire to see him fuck it all up with two needless sequels.
Old 03-27-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IDK, I actually like The Patriot and Day After Tomorrow.
Old 03-27-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The only way it makes sense is if the distress call took 25 years to reach the aliens and then they came right away through wormholes.
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. The distress call would travel relatively slow, at least compared to wormhole speed. I don't even know how fast signals even travel, but just pretend that they travel at the speed of light (although I don't think they do) if the alien homeworld was 20 light years away, it would take the signal 20 years to get there from Earth. Then the aliens could mount a reinforcement fleet in a matter of weeks and be instantly transported to Earth via a wormhole. So the aliens would have received a distress call from 20 years ago and by the time they got to Earth, 20 years WOULD have passed on Earth.
Old 03-27-13, 11:13 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. The distress call would travel relatively slow, at least compared to wormhole speed. I don't even know how fast signals even travel, but just pretend that they travel at the speed of light (although I don't think they do) if the alien homeworld was 20 light years away, it would take the signal 20 years to get there from Earth. Then the aliens could mount a reinforcement fleet in a matter of weeks and be instantly transported to Earth via a wormhole. So the aliens would have received a distress call from 20 years ago and by the time they got to Earth, 20 years WOULD have passed on Earth.
All energy travels at the speed of light. What we think of as "light" is simply the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that we can see with our naked eye. If they send the message by radio, or x-ray, or light signals, it all travels at the speed of light, but the wavelengths would be different.
Old 03-27-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't go to their home planet. It said in Part 1 the whole society was moving through space. What I can see is there had to be scouts all over the place looking for the next planet for the main force to attack. The distress call has all these scout (probably city destroyer sized) coming to where the main force was. Earth.
Old 03-27-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
It wouldn't go to their home planet. It said in Part 1 the whole society was moving through space. What I can see is there had to be scouts all over the place looking for the next planet for the main force to attack. The distress call has all these scout (probably city destroyer sized) coming to where the main force was. Earth.
Well let's hope they're not smart enough to install Norton before the arrive.
Old 03-27-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Haha. I enjoy all of the naive computer nonsense that was seen in 90's movies. Remember the VR in Lawnmower Man? Or the hacker interfaces and plot in Hackers? As a 10 year old kid, those movies blew my mind.
Old 03-27-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Haha. I enjoy all of the naive computer nonsense that was seen in 90's movies. Remember the VR in Lawnmower Man? Or the hacker interfaces and plot in Hackers? As a 10 year old kid, those movies blew my mind.
How bout the awesome computer game "Mozart's Ghost" in The Net? My iPhone has 10 times the computing power of all the computers in that movie combined.
Old 03-27-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I heard the aliens upgraded to Power Macs running OS9.
Old 05-14-13, 07:44 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Who could ever forget Independence Day; the movie that not only allowed Will Smith to welcome an alien race to Earth, but blew the White House to smithereens (before it was a trend)? And yet despite the fond memories of fans and box office success of the film, Independence Day 2 has yet to gain any momentum.

That’s not stopping director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin though, who recently hinted at the much larger story their pair of sequels – and additional films – would tell, and which of the original cast members they’ve already found places for in the plot.

Emmerich explained his plan for a pair of sequels – dubbed ID Forever Part I and II – some years ago, along with his intention to pick up the story right where it left off. The passing years haven’t gotten the project any closer to production, but speaking this week at the Hero Complex Film Festival, Emmerich and Devlin provided an update on their plans.

Despite the number of years that have passed since the last substantial progress, Devlin remains optimistic, and claims the pair won’t hesitate should the opportunity present itself:

“Roland and I would really like to do one. We have some pretty darn good ideas on how to do one and, hopefully, that will all come together. A lot of things have to align. The planets have to piece together and if they do, it’ll happen.”

The first question on every fan’s mind will be the fate of returning characters. The news that Will Smith wouldn’t be connected to a sequel disappointed many at the time, and the most recent news concerning cast seemed to hint that the children of ID4 might be leading Earth’s defense this time around.

Bill Pullman previously claimed that he would be reprising his role as President Thomas J. Whitmore regardless of the story, but would there be room for the brilliant David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum)? The actor – who was sitting in on the discussion – is a fan favorite, so Emmerich was willing to playfully explain that “I think we’ll invite him back.”

These days, a colossal film usually means not just a sequel being rushed into development, but the crafting of a story meant to stretch over a trilogy. With almost twenty years separating the original Independence Day and any potential follow-up, that gives the filmmakers plenty of stories to tell, and freedom to evolve the parallel universe created by mankind harnessing the alien’s technology.

If you’ve used the intervening years to think up some epic sequels to the original movie, you’re not alone. Emmerich says he and Devlin have much more in mind than one more film, with the first installment showing little more than the tip of the iceberg:

“That’s actually what we talked a lot about. The mythology of why did the aliens come in the first place, what is the bigger story of this whole thing? And we talked a lot about swarm intelligence. And [the humans] are individual intelligence. Even though we kill each other and have wars against each other, we have something special. We have this indomitable human spirit to believe in good and over coming enemies. And it’s a little bit about that and when you get a bigger mythology going, I think then you have the chance to do not only one or two or three but you can create a series and that’s what we want to do.”

We won’t disagree that plenty of film franchises have been founded on less interesting or lasting ideas as humanity’s will to survive, and fight an invading alien army bent on revenge. It’s hard to say that the theme would be enough to carry the series among a movie landscape now filled with space adventure, but Devlin has always maintained that an Independence Day sequel wouldn’t be made until they had a story that made the film worthwhile.
Old 05-14-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-14-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 05-14-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/im_5QdHp04E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But, seriously, I'd watch it. ID4 was stupid but fun. And it really didn't play at being more than what it was: a silly disaster flick.

So...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OfPWpEKhgfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-14-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

ID Forever

Starring

Jaden Smith
Old 05-14-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

That'd only happen if Will SMith agreed to a supporting role. And at least Jaden Smith has talent. I'd shudder if the theme track was sung by Willow Smith.
Old 05-14-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That'd only happen if Will SMith agreed to a supporting role. And at least Jaden Smith has talent. I'd shudder if the theme track was sung by Willow Smith.
Don't sweat it, Pitbull will sing it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.