Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Old 11-09-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks, 2010)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Definitely, I had zero interest when it first came out, but once the word of mouth kicked in it sold me.
The box office curve supports this hypothesis --- it didnt have a super opening week; but word of mouth later resulted in a strong overall take later.
Old 11-09-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Also Toothless reminded me a lot of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.
Late to this party, but I think the same thing every time my girls watch it. Tootless looks like he could be right out of the Stitch universe. I know Sanders directed both, but come on, a little too similar in my book.

Old 11-09-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Late to this party, but I think the same thing every time my girls watch it. Tootless looks like he could be right out of the Stitch universe. I know Sanders directed both, but come on, a little too similar in my book.

The misses said the same thing after we watched it. I, however, was so absorbed in Toothless' cat-like personality that it simply didn't register, or matter.

PS: I absolutely adore this flick. Easily among my top ten from this year.
Old 11-09-10, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The misses said the same thing after we watched it. I, however, was so absorbed in Toothless' cat-like personality that it simply didn't register, or matter.

PS: I absolutely adore this flick. Easily among my top ten from this year.
Toothless also reminded me of some cartoon character; it may be stitch but I cannot say for sure since I havent watched that movie.

I also thought Toothless was more dog like, with his tail wagging, sitting obediently, going a bit nuts when he saw
Spoiler:
Hiccup gaining conciousness back at the cabing
Old 11-09-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
I also thought Toothless was more dog like, with his tail wagging, sitting obediently, going a bit nuts when he saw
Spoiler:
Hiccup gaining conciousness back at the cabing
Yeah, there's definitely a bit of both.
Old 11-09-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Since I adored Stitch and that's my favorite Disney movie, it's probably why I loved this so much
Old 11-09-10, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Yeah, there's definitely a bit of both.
I agree.

I live in a household that aren't fond of pets and I wanted to totally disregard everyone's feelings, rush out and adopt a dog and a cat after the movie was over.
Old 11-09-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
^I suppose if HTTYD had been made by Pixar it would have garnered much more attention due to that established brand name. But Dreamworks animated movies have been much more uneven in quality, even though many of them have been quite successful at the box office.

This is basically my excuse. Dreamworks animation is too inconsistent to waste on a theater viewing when you have to get a babysitter. But we put it in our Netflix queue and gave it a fair shot and loved it. If DW could push themselves to push this type of movie more, audiences would grow to enjoy them more and we would have less big-name voice actor/pop culture reference type flicks.
Old 11-09-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
This is basically my excuse. Dreamworks animation is too inconsistent to waste on a theater viewing when you have to get a babysitter. But we put it in our Netflix queue and gave it a fair shot and loved it. If DW could push themselves to push this type of movie more, audiences would grow to enjoy them more and we would have less big-name voice actor/pop culture reference type flicks.
To be fair, box office wise Dreamworks is doing just fine. People on DVDTalk seem to hate the Shrek movies or whatever else Dreamwork puts out with a passion, but the general public seems to enjoy them quite a bit given the box office takes are pretty close to a lot of the Pixar movies.
Old 11-09-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i watched this last week. loved it. had a great story and superb visuals.
Old 11-09-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
i watched this last week. loved it. had a great story and superb visuals.
It hasn't been mentioned much in the last couple of pages of this thread, but in addition to the "great story and superb visuals" I'd like to put in a plug for the score. It really worked well with most of the movie and with some of the aerial sequences, such as "Romantic Flight", it was excellent.

I generally don't appreciate the score of movies until after several viewings and that was true for How to Train Your Dragon as well.
Old 11-09-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my case, I was surprised last Spring when the word of mouth for HTTYD—in this very thread and in reviews—was so favorable that I dragged myself to the theater (70 mile round trip) to see it. And then returned two weeks later with my friends to see it again.
Old 11-10-10, 05:57 AM

It hasn't been mentioned much in the last couple of pages of this thread, but in addition to the "great story and superb visuals" I'd like to put in a plug for the score. It really worked well with most of the movie and with some of the aerial sequences, such as "Romantic Flight", it was excellent.

I generally don't appreciate the score of movies until after several viewings and that was true for How to Train Your Dragon as well.
Yeah, I loved the score too!

I really really liked it right at the end of the movie when
Spoiler:

Hiccup and others are flying off and he says "we have dragons" and the movie title rolls on.

The end song is nice too, high pace, high energy.

I liked the score right from the beginning.

Last edited by wearetheborg; 11-10-10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-10-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dreamworks animation is too inconsistent to waste on a theater viewing when you have to get a babysitter.
This is absolutely correct. Outside of a select few (Egypt, Madagascar, and maybe Panda & Monsters vs. A.)*, Dreamworks hasn't really proven to me that I should see their movies in the theater. Even out of those only Egypt and Dragon would make the theater cut in my book. Looking at a list of their 21 films, there are quite a few I haven't seen though.

*I don't think of the Aardman films as Dreamworks movies.
Old 11-10-10, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
. Even out of those only Egypt and Dragon would make the theater cut in my book.
You didnt like Kung Fu Panda? Its one of my favorite films.
Old 11-10-10, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by iggystar
I live in a household that aren't fond of pets and I wanted to totally disregard everyone's feelings, rush out and adopt a dog and a cat after the movie was over.
I totally know what you mean
Old 11-10-10, 09:10 AM

Yeah, I loved the score too!

I really really liked it right at the end of the movie when
Spoiler:

Hiccup and others are flying off and he says "we have dragons" and the movie title rolls on
The end song is nice too, high pace, high energy.

I liked the score right from the beginning.
I loved the score as well, especially the part in your spoiler. I rewound it several times it was so feel good.

Checking out that list I'm surprised at the number of Dreamworks animated movies I like. I really enjoyed Spirit in the theaters, of course Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar. Over the Hedge, Flushed Away and Sinbad were fun, IMO.
Old 11-10-10, 09:23 AM

While both have some flying sequences involving dragon-like creatures and were shown in 3D in some theaters, the plot and characters are completely different.

+1
PS: Avatar was a piece of trash (exept for the special effects I guess). I watched it only once.
Old 11-10-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by iggystar
I agree.

I totally know what you mean
I have some neighbors who don't like animals and I have been reluctant to recommend this movie to them for just that reason.

[For the record, I share my abode with two cats as well as a horde of wild critters outside the windows, ranging from chipmunks and mountain chickadees to bobcats, deer and mountain lions. (Had to slow my bicycle a few days ago to wait for a herd of elk to cross the road.)]
Old 11-12-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. By FAR Dreamworks Animation's masterpiece, and a great movie throughout.

I knew I was hooked when I was totally caught up in the whole world. The look of the Vikings, the organic quality of the village, the excellent stage action sequences, and the many small character moments littered throughout as well.

It looks like the movie really took advantage of the 3D environment, moreso than Toy Story 3. Kicking myself for missing this in theaters, but overall this was grand entertainment. And free from the snarky, ironic, pop-culture laden proclivities that Dreamworks Animation is unfortunately often saddled with.

Great movie overall.
Old 11-12-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Finally saw this tonight. By FAR Dreamworks Animation's masterpiece, and a great movie throughout.
That would be Over the Hedge; otherwise, I would say this and Kung Fu Panda round out the three at-least-decent Dreamworks movies.

(I haven't seen the Woodsy Allen one).
Old 11-14-10, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It looks like the movie really took advantage of the 3D environment, moreso than Toy Story 3. Kicking myself for missing this in theaters

Did anyone "feel" the part where
Spoiler:

towards the end Hiccup is riding Toothless and Toothless is going to blast the giant dragons wings (when the dragon was on the ground); and the sequence shows the "camera" from behind the two as they go in for the shot.

I felt the speed, like I was right there, great sequence; got my adrenaline up. Did it feel even better in 3D?
Old 03-02-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally watched this on blu tonight. Just an absolutely wonderful movie. Truly one of the best movies I've seen recently and I would definitely put it in my top 5 animated movies. I'm a huge fan of Pixar but this easily rivals Pixar's best and beats many of their efforts.

Not like it really matters, but it's a shame this didn't win the best animated Oscar. Like I said, I'm a huge Pixar fan, but I couldn't get through Toy Story 3. I made it about halfway and turned it off. I just couldn't get into it and felt that I'd seen the same thing twice before, but done much better in the prior 2 movies. Dragon grabbed me from the start and never let go. I loved everything about it. I hardly ever say this, but I can't wait for the sequel. Oh, and I think Toothless is one of the best animated characters of all time.
Old 11-10-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't think this is worthy of a new thread, but does anyone know anything about the direct-to-DVD/BD release next week? According to the YouTube link below, the run times are 22 min and 18 minutes.

DreamWorks Dragons: Gift of Night Fury
New! The Dragons are back in the exciting next chapter to the Academy Award®-nominated film, DreamWorks Animation’s How to Train Your Dragon. The epic story of Hiccup and Toothless continues as they take flight in a thrilling, all-new adventure to discover an island of never-before-seen dragons. Explosive action and fire-breathing excitement collide in this exhilarating story.

Dragons: Book of Dragons
New! So you want to be a dragon trainer do you? Prepare yourself for adventure, excitement and training as Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless and Gobber tell the legend behind the Book of Dragons and reveal insider training secrets about new, never-before-seen dragons.

Trailer:
Old 11-10-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love HttyD. When is a real sequel coming out and not this direct to dvd crap?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.