Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009/dir. Paul Weitz)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-22-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone else interested in seeing this? I haven't read a thing about it on here. Personally, I love the atmosphere of the trailer; there are some great shots in there. Looks like it'll be a fun ride. I've heard from early reviews that it's like either a long episode of "Goosebumps" or a Disney version of Tod Browning's Freaks. Both are good news to me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzONxEKa8pY&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AzONxEKa8pY&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-22-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009/dir. Paul Weitz)

When i first saw the trailer it looked kinda silly. But I see quite a few actors who I like so I may check it out.

I will say that as much as I like JCR, I'm not sure his "Vampire" will be all that great. But I could be wrong...
Old 10-22-09, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find it hilarious that both Weitz brothers are doing vampire movies that come out within three weeks of each other.
Old 10-22-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Yeah and one brother will have a huge hit, while the other, not so much. I don't know ANYONE who is interested in seeing this - but because I like Weitz and Reilly, I'll check it out.
Old 10-22-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

this Vampire nonsense needs to stop.
Old 10-22-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

I like the joke they told on The Soup, when they took guesses as to what kind of myths Mythbusters was going to take on this season, one being "Is it true you can't swing a dead cat in Hollywood without hitting someone with a vampire script?"
Old 10-24-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care that this was from a "popular" book, the "Twilight"-style version of "Freaks" looked weak, but will be open to suggestions/reviews...
Old 10-24-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
You and I both know that it will take at least 3-4 box office bombs in a row for the execs in Hollywood to start milking the next fad to death.
Old 10-24-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Terrible script for this film, utterly unengaging, and bad directing to boot. But nice cleavage on display by Salma.
Old 10-24-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the movie was just kind of "there"... Not terrible, but not really good either.
Old 10-24-09, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent movie. i love it. the acting, the awesome score. name it i loved it. it put a silly grin on my face the entire time. if a movie can do that, and it rarely happens, i give it props. the story was better than i thought it was going to be. i hope they continue making more. i found it better than the potter movies. the acting was better.
Old 10-25-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I had nothing to do last night, so I flipped a coin and let fate decide whether I saw this movie or The Stepfather.

Fate decided I would see Cirque. I would say that it's a middle of the road film. Watanabe was the most interesting of all the characters, and really wasn't used to the extent he should have.

Memorable quote from the movie, as spoken by one of the Freaks:

"I'm going to shove my head up your ass!"
Old 10-25-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fairly boring. It's got a few good scenes but overall there was a whole lot of nothing happening... it really suffers from 'franchise' syndrome, like PUSH did earlier this year or The Golden Compass - they're so concerned with STARTING A FRANCHISE that they didn't bother to think if this one was any good. Yes, it introduces characters and the world, but nothing beyond that happens, the final showdown is hugely disappointed and the movie just ends, leaving the door open for a sequel that will never happen. Reilly is awesome but had nothing to do here... I laughed maybe twice and that was stuff from the trailer. "Can you turn into a bat?" "No, that's bullshit".
Old 10-25-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully I can get some time to see this, this week, I think it looks fun. This looks like a movie I would love loved when I was 12.
Old 10-29-09, 03:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
Hopefully I can get some time to see this, this week, I think it looks fun. This looks like a movie I would love loved when I was 12.
I've never grown up, so maybe that explains why I really liked this.

Was it perfect? Nowhere close, but very well put together imo. JCR was great, and maybe my expecting to hate it is clouding my judgement a bit.
Old 10-29-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
There's New Moon and Daybreakers coming
Old 03-08-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Fairly boring. It's got a few good scenes but overall there was a whole lot of nothing happening... it really suffers from 'franchise' syndrome, like PUSH did earlier this year or The Golden Compass - they're so concerned with STARTING A FRANCHISE that they didn't bother to think if this one was any good. Yes, it introduces characters and the world, but nothing beyond that happens, the final showdown is hugely disappointed and the movie just ends, leaving the door open for a sequel that will never happen. Reilly is awesome but had nothing to do here... I laughed maybe twice and that was stuff from the trailer. "Can you turn into a bat?" "No, that's bullshit".
I just watched this and mdc summed it up perfectly. The script is completely by the numbers. I can't think of one aspect of the movie that was surprising or even interesting. The worst part was that going into the 3rd act it was as obvious as everything else that there would be no resolution and the entire movie was just attempting to setup a franchise. IIRC, the movie bombed and the franchise isn't going to happen which makes the entire endeavor rather pointless.
Old 03-09-10, 08:13 AM

We saw this movie last weekend. It was entertaining enough, and better than I thought it would be. The kids really liked it.
Old 03-09-10, 04:29 PM

This actually does look decent, nice cast. Probably something to watch on a sunday afternoon when you just want to take it easy. Looking forward to checking it out.