Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Cameron returns to space with 2 'Avatar' sequels

Originally Posted by Drexl

When I heard about his interest in Mars, I was thinking it would be great if he did a movie about a manned mission there, except one that's actually good.
I waiting for him to make a movie that takes place on the moon, and actually go to the moon to film it. You never know.
Old 11-01-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm waiting for him to make a movie that takes place on the moon, and actually go to the moon to film it. You never know.
And if he actually did it, everyone would swear it was faked and all shot in a studio!
Old 11-01-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Back-to-back sequels have never worked. Look at The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Back to the Future. Those sequels are all severely inferior to the originals.

Then again, I do not hold "Avatar" in any high regard whatsoever, so maybe Cameron will be the first one to make back-to-back sequels that are better than the original film.
Old 11-01-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Back-to-back sequels have never worked. Look at The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Back to the Future. Those sequels are all severely inferior to the originals.
Two Towers/Return of the King?
Old 11-01-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Does not apply. All three movies were filmed at once as a singular story chopped into thirds. Although I'd argue that Parts 2 and 3 are vastly inferior to Part 1.
Old 11-01-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Given how each sequel was inferior in quality to their respective predecessors, you just proved Hokeyboy's point.
Old 11-01-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's the answer...outsource the job to Bay!!!
Shit gets done quick when you make the script up as you film!
Old 11-01-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given how each sequel was inferior in quality to their respective predecessors, you just proved Hokeyboy's point.
Not really, I'd take both over FOTR any day.
Old 11-01-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Not really, I'd take both over FOTR any day.
TTT had akward pacing. The extended cut helped a lot since, rather than simple padding, it helped flesh out characters like Faramir (who was mostly a douchy cypher in the theatrical cut). TROTK was mostly a chore. The battles were anticlimactic (even in the extended cut) and the movie didn't even know how to end properly.

FOTR felt like a very polished movie. It wasn't perfect but it felt like a lot more care was put into making it. The sequels felt like the script needed another polish and the editing needed a fresh pair of eyes.
Old 11-01-10, 08:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The extended cut of The Two Towers is the best thing to ever come out of Tolkien's stories, including the original books. The theatrical cut is not nearly as good.
Old 11-01-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The extended cut of The Two Towers is the best thing to ever come out of Tolkien's stories, including the original books. The theatrical cut is not nearly as good.
Old 11-02-10, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
since when did making a sequel to one of your films beating a dead horse? its not even comparable to how much George Lucas has milked Star Wars. Returning to the Terminator franchise would be the same thing really.
Plus, Cameron announced that Avatar was a trilogy almost 5 years ago, people always try to rationalize sequels to popular movies with the "it was planned all along" excuse, but Avatar is one case where there is empirical proof:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153...29/story.jhtml

This is from 4 and a half years ago, Cameron hadn't even started principal photography on Avatar 1 yet, and here he is saying his plan is to make a trilogy with parts 2 and 3 shot back to back, with both being stand alone movies, that all together fulfill a greater story arc. (and he also mentions the plan for Battle Angel is the same)

Exectly what was mentioned in the new press release. Actually kinda funny, Cameron's plans haven't changed a single bit. $3 Billion gross or not, he always planned it to go down like this...the man is clairvoyant or something.

Originally Posted by gmanca
I wouldn't mind more Avatar films but I always would like to see him do something else. Even though it's another alien film, he has the movie rights to Brother Termite which is a Dark Skies-like story of aliens controlling the government since the 40's.

Maybe a true horror movie or something dealing with Atlantis would be really cool.
There is Brother Termite test footage on the Avatar collector's edition blu-ray. Cameron was apparently doing mo-cap tests for it many years ago.
Old 11-02-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Although I'd argue that Parts 2 and 3 are vastly inferior to Part 1.
Though I wouldn't say vastly, I've always thought they got a bit weaker as they went on. The others (ROTK more so) get too sidetracked with painful comedy, or just unnecessary scenes. ROTK may just be the best made movie that is hard to sit through...

Anyways, Cleopatra would've been cool but I'm happy Cameron's expanding his newly created universe. I'm sure they'll be pretty ambitious in scale. Can't wait to check out the extended Avatar cut in a few wks.
Old 11-04-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I really don't see where a sequel would go for this
maybe a 5-10 minute short film where the corporation comes back and does an orbital bombardment, which is what would really happen if they wanted that mineral that badly, then mines at will
Old 11-05-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I really don't see where a sequel would go for this
maybe a 5-10 minute short film where the corporation comes back and does an orbital bombardment, which is what would really happen if they wanted that mineral that badly, then mines at will
Starring Sarah Palin. "Drill, baby, drill!"
Old 11-05-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
There is Brother Termite test footage on the Avatar collector's edition blu-ray. Cameron was apparently doing mo-cap tests for it many years ago.
If he won't direct it himself, it'd be nice for someone else to and him produce. It shouldn't languish in someone's vault.
Old 01-12-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: Avatar 2: Delgo (2016, Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

James Cameron may have teased us with the thought of Avatar sequels in 2013 and 2014, but producer Jon Landau has revealed that we shouldn't be holding our breath – with the 3D classic not getting its next episode until 2016.

Speaking at a screening of Titanic 3D, Landau confessed that a sequel is 'four years away', which means we will have waited a massive seven years from the first film, although Avatar 3 may well be filmed at the same time and screened a year later.

Despite a massive price tag, the genius that is James Cameron proved that 3D could be a major draw – with the original Avatar smashing box office records despite criticism from reviewers.
Another dimension

Creating a CGI world and rendering it in an extra dimension pushed the boundaries of movie tech, something that Cameron has been a passionate advocate of throughout his career.

With his business partner Vince Pace recently suggesting that technology had now moved well beyond what was done in the original Avatar, we can't wait to see what is planned for Avatar 2.

But Landau suggested that the footage would be filmed at 50 frames per second, but by his timeframe we will have to wait several years to take a look.
Old 01-12-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about this James, surprise us.... Don't make a sequel the first one sucked!
Old 01-12-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ I liked it. It was cliche and predictable but it wasn't Battle Los Angeles.
Old 01-12-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'd rather see James do the inevitable sequel to PROMETHEUS than another AVATAR. But then again, I think I'd rather see a sequel to TITANIC than AVATAR. It was a very average movie with some very nifty effects.
Old 01-12-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time people attack the plot of AVATAR as being predictable and familiar, I'm just going to post this every time:

http://storyfanatic.com/articles/sto...over-substance
Old 01-13-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a great looking bore.
Old 04-05-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

First he said 2016 but now he's saying it's delayed but looking at 2015.

'Avatar 2' Delayed Until at Least 2015, Says Jon Landau

James Cameron is collaborating with effects firm Weta Digital on an "underwater motion capture system" for sequences that will explore the oceans of Pandora.

James Cameron’s eagerly anticipated follow-up to Avatar is going to be delayed until at least 2015, producer Jon Landau said Thursday. Contrary to previous statements that indicated Avatar 2 would arrive in theaters in December 2014 and Avatar 3 would follow in 2015, Landau revealed that the first of two proposed sequels probably won’t be ready within the next two years.

"We're not naming dates, but I think 2014 will be a tough date for us to make,” Landau told Empire. “It's about getting it right … movies make release dates; release dates don't make movies." Possible reasons for a delay include Cameron spending time with his recent dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench and his overseeing of the 3D conversion of Titanic.

Although Landau and Cameron outlined a release schedule for the two films, neither committed to specific release dates. Regardless, despite the fact that Cameron plans to shoot Avatar 2 and 3 back to back, Landau also insisted that each of the films will – and must – stand alone. "That's where movies fall into trouble – when they try to say: 'You know what? It's really one movie and there's an intermission' – so we want each one to be a stand-alone movie.

“The next one will kick off where the last one ended,”
he said. “But just like Avatar resolved itself and doesn't feel like a setup to another movie, you don't want Avatar 2 to feel like a setup for 3."

Meanwhile, Cameron's Manhattan Beach studio is up and running, and Landau indicated that the filmmaker has already begun collaborating with the New Zealand effects company Weta Digital, which is developing an “underwater motion capture system” that will allow him to bring to life the oceans of Pandora. Nevertheless, Landau insisted that not all of the film will take place underwater. "It's going to be like the Floating Mountains in the first movie," he said. "It's not going to be all underwater; it's going to be a place we go to, leave and come back to."
Old 04-05-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I'm excited to see what Cameron is going to do for the sequel if only for the new lifeforms and shooting techniques he'll introduce.
Old 04-05-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd put up with another delay if he wants to oversee getting True Lies and The Abyss on Blu-ray (and Titanic, but I assume that's coming soon).

And what's that about 50fps? Why not 48 like the Hobbit films so it will convert to 24 more easily?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.