Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 05:21 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
re: Avatar 2 (2021, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

The price of movie theater tickets being what they are these days, I probably won't be waiting in line to see it on release day, but I will (more than likely) buy the Extended Edition Deluxe Package Deal (like I did for the first one) when it gets released on BD/DVD...
Old 04-23-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's irrelevant. It's a cash cow. Story can be mediocre as long as the visuals remain revolutionary and have depth, which they will.

It's all about getting assess in seats. $$$$$$$
Now we are getting to the nitty-gritty. I don't believe that statement to be true these days. We have pretty much seen it and done it when it comes to special effects and visuals. Look at Ghost in the Shell tanking right now: a beautiful movie that has muddled storytelling. It's direct source is the inspiration of many of our modern visual cinematic marvels, yet the direct adaptation cannot coast along on just visuals because we have been there-done that so many times already.

The first Avatar was a visual wonder that pushed the technology of cinemas. However, I challenge you to name ANY of the characters from it. Or show me the forum of rabid internet collectors who are searching for the toys so they can relive their childhood. Or let me know where Unobtanium-Con is being held this year.

If the next Avatar finds the next boundary to push, then the conversation will be different. I don't know what that might be; glassless 3D is the only thing I can think of. I do know higher resolutions are NOT what an average movie goer cares (or knows) about.

I have heard that Unobtanium will be replaced with two new minerals: Sequelarium and Cannotthinkofanameium.
Old 04-23-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
However, I challenge you to name ANY of the characters from it.
Oh yeah? Toruk Makto homie! Nuff said.

Spoiler:
Old 04-23-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

The original Avatar never blew me away. I even thought the 3D was rough. I specifically remember a briefing scene with the military and it looked like cardboard cutouts of rows of people placed at different planes. Like a diorama or something. Just looked like the usual 3D - not great, but just sort of there.

I have zero interest in returning to such a forgettable experience. Especially again and again and years from now to boot.
Old 04-23-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Now we are getting to the nitty-gritty. I don't believe that statement to be true these days. We have pretty much seen it and done it when it comes to special effects and visuals. Look at Ghost in the Shell tanking right now: a beautiful movie that has muddled storytelling. It's direct source is the inspiration of many of our modern visual cinematic marvels, yet the direct adaptation cannot coast along on just visuals because we have been there-done that so many times already.

The first Avatar was a visual wonder that pushed the technology of cinemas. However, I challenge you to name ANY of the characters from it. Or show me the forum of rabid internet collectors who are searching for the toys so they can relive their childhood. Or let me know where Unobtanium-Con is being held this year.

If the next Avatar finds the next boundary to push, then the conversation will be different. I don't know what that might be; glassless 3D is the only thing I can think of. I do know higher resolutions are NOT what an average movie goer cares (or knows) about.

I have heard that Unobtanium will be replaced with two new minerals: Sequelarium and Cannotthinkofanameium.

You're talking about Cameron. Imagine if he had written/directed Ghost in the Shell? Biggest film of all time.

I believe the visuals will be even more revolutionary than from the ones in 2009. Just by default -- 12 years later -- isn't that like a generation? It's gonna be fucking awesome.

Now that he's established the mythos with the first film -- he can really turn up the "geekdom" and do a film that has a more original framework. Who knows.
Old 04-24-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd go to see this if Zoe Saldana appeared on camera as her character in blue skin makeup as opposed to a CGI version of her.

Y'know, like in "Star Trek" once upon a time?

Old 04-24-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I believe the visuals will be even more revolutionary than from the ones in 2009. Just by default -- 12 years later -- isn't that like a generation? It's gonna be fucking awesome.
That's what I'm thinking too. I don't think he's working on 'just a sequel'. That would be very un-JC-like. The tech, locations, and story will all have something going on. And with four movies, they'll have time to world build a lot (similar to Lord of the Rings and the Marvel Cinematic Universe).

I'm also optimistic with the new 'Apes movie writers being on the job. Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes have some top-tier dramatic storytelling.
Old 04-24-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'd go to see this if Zoe Saldana appeared on camera as her character in blue skin makeup as opposed to a CGI version of her.

Y'know, like in "Star Trek" once upon a time?

Old 04-24-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

My wife and I were having lunch the other day, and this was on the TV (on AMC with commercials every five minutes). I usually find myself distracted by movies in restaurants, but this time I had to force myself to try and care about this. It's such a vapid feeling movie, I can't form any connections to it.
Old 04-24-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My wife and I were having lunch the other day, and this was on the TV (on AMC with commercials every five minutes). I usually find myself distracted by movies in restaurants, but this time I had to force myself to try and care about this. It's such a vapid feeling movie, I can't form any connections to it.
It's one of those movies that's mostly spectacle. You can watch it once and think it was pretty good, but then you try to watch it a second time it's dull as fuck, and you end up stopping it or start hitting the FF button on your remote.

It's ultimately simplistic and vapid. The characters are all lifeless stock cliches. But it does look pretty.
Old 04-24-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

My wife and I were having lunch the other day, and this was on the TV ... I usually find myself distracted by movies in restaurants, but this time I had to force myself to try and care about this.
You had to force yourself to ignore your wife at lunch and watch the tv instead? Maybe because the movie sucks, it's very easy to pretend it's not there and have a great conversation instead?
Old 04-24-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

^ Yeah, that was kind of an odd statement. Who watches a movie on basic cable while eating lunch at a crowded restaurant?! Much less force yourself to watch it while eating lunch with your wife.

Not to mention the fact that with commercials, Avatar would be like a 4 hour movie. Why even bother?
Old 04-25-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We weren't ignoring each other, we had the whole day to ourselves as I took a day off. We drove around hitting thrift stores and playing PokemonGo, and at the restaurant (an otherwise deserted Chinese place) it was on the TV. I wasn't ignoring her, we were both taking some time to check our social media and Pokedexes after driving so much.

But the point was, it's not like Star Wars or Star Trek where we would have both been watching, it was so boring I couldn't even force myself to watch it.
Old 04-25-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

We weren't ignoring each other, we had the whole day to ourselves as I took a day off. We drove around hitting thrift stores and playing PokemonGo, and at the restaurant (an otherwise deserted Chinese place) it was on the TV. I wasn't ignoring her, we were both taking some time to check our social media and Pokedexes after driving so much.

But the point was, it's not like Star Wars or Star Trek where we would have both been watching, it was so boring I couldn't even force myself to watch it.
To me every movie on broadcast TV with commercials is boring to watch.
Old 05-09-17, 07:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Fear the Walking Dead actor Cliff Curtis has joined the cast of all four of James Cameron's upcoming Avatar sequels.

IGN can confirm that Curtis will have a lead role in Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. He will play Tonowari, the leader of the reef clan Metkayina.
AVATAR SEQUELS TO STAR FEAR THE WALKING DEAD ACTOR IN LEAD ROLE
Old 05-09-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that really something to be proud of?
Old 05-09-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that really something to be proud of?

What do you mean by proud? It's just a casting choice and a new one since we only know that the original cast would be back.

Old 05-09-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(It was a FTWD slam. Sorry my sarcasm blender was on the fritz.)
Old 05-09-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(It was a FTWD slam. Sorry my sarcasm blender was on the fritz.)

Ah, gotcha. I've only seen the first season of it.
Old 05-09-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I've given up on FTWD. But I do like Cliff Curtis.
Old 06-21-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Games of Thrones’ Star Oona Chaplin Joins James Cameron’s ‘Avatar’ Sequels

Film Reporter
Dave McNary
Film Reporter
@Variety_DMcNary
JUNE 20, 2017 | 12:42PM PT

Twentieth Century Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment have added “Game of Thrones” star Oona Chaplin in James Cameron’s four upcoming Avatar sequels.

Lightstorm president Jon Landau made the announcement during Fox’s CineEurope presentation on Tuesday in Barcelona, Spain.

Though the plot is being kept under wraps, Chaplin will play Varang, described as “a strong and vibrant central character who spans the entire saga of the sequels.”

Chaplin’s past credits include TV series “Taboo,” “The Crimson Field,” and Talisa Maegyr in “Game of Thrones” as well as the Fox 2000 film, “The Longest Ride.” She is the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.

In April, Cameron and Fox set the release dates for the four “Avatar” sequels, starting on Dec. 18, 2020, for “Avatar 2.”

“Avatar 3” will open Dec. 17, 2021, followed by a three-year break for “Avatar 4,” set for Dec. 20, 2024. “Avatar 5” will then open on Dec. 19, 2025.

Cameron had announced in 2016 at CinemaCon that he would make four “Avatar” sequels, promising that the films would start hitting theaters in 2018. The creator of the original “Avatar,” the 2009 fantasy epic that remains the all-time worldwide box office champion with $2.8 billion, said at the time that his vision for the story had expanded significantly.

Cameron said last year that he had first envisioned two sequels but after meeting with the screenwriters, artists, and designers, he realized that he had too much material for just two films. He initially decided on three sequels, then jumped to four.

Cameron and Landau are producing through their Lightstorm company. Returning cast includes Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, and Stephen Lang all returning. The script was written by Cameron with Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, and Shane Salerno.
Old 06-21-17, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love her. She was in Taboo with Tom Hardy.
Old 06-27-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Avatar 2 Will Be Projected in Glasses-Free 3D

James Cameron has found another way to make all the Avatar sequels revolutionary, as they’ll be the first to implement glasses-free 3D technology. Cameron is highly regarded as one of the most innovative filmmakers and is also responsible for many of Hollywood’s biggest hits and classics. Whether those be the first two Terminator movies, Aliens, or Titanic, he would’ve left his mark on cinema, and then he did Avatar – a visual spectacle that became a box office juggernaut and still stands as the highest grossing movie of all-time.

However, that record was set eight years ago, and the imprint of Avatar has all but faded. Cameron meanwhile has been developing four sequels to the smash hit, despite many deeming them to be too late to really make a mark. But just as Cameron does, he’s going to use Avatar 2 and the subsequent sequels to get his wish to push the boundaries of 3D.

As reported by Inquisitr, following Cameron’s production company Lightstorm Entertainment extending its partnership with Christie Digital, both sides are working toward making Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 in 3D, but without the hassle of 3D glasses. This will be done by giving Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment access to Christie Digital’s new RGB laser projection system.
I can imagine Fox is sitting back at this point just wanting him to shoot SOMETHING. It's as if he keeps finding ways to increase the budget!
Old 06-28-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Sounds interesting but I'm sure only a handful of theaters will convert...if the new projection system actually works.
Old 07-24-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

JULY 24, 2017 9:54am PT by Mia Galuppo
C.C.H. Pounder Returning for 'Avatar' Sequels

'Avatar 2' will open wide on December 18, 2020.

C.C.H. Pounder will reprise her role as Moat in James Cameron's Avatar sequels.

In the 2009 sci-fi fantasy, Pounder played the Omatikaya Clan's tsahik, or spiritual leader.

While plot details for the sequel are being kept under wraps, the actress is joining returning castmembers Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver.

Oona Chaplin is one of the few newcomers joining the four follow-ups.

Avatar 2 will open wide on December 18, 2020, with subsequent movies coming out in December 2021, 2024 and 2025.
That's a long time away.... 2020?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.