Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trancers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trancers

Just saw the first of the Trancers flicks for the first time on Netflix tonight. Thankfully it's available on the instant play. One of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with a B movie in awhile.
I was thinking about blind buying the collection. Is there anyone that can vouch for the rest of the series as a blind buy if I enjoyed the first?
Old 02-26-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts
Re: Trancers

I rented the Trancers movies as a kid and I enjoyed how cheesy they were. I recall they were produced by a really low budget company called Full Moon Entertainment. Don't remember much about them, but I did see them all the way through Part 5. Part 6 I believe does not feature Tim Thomerson.

From what I remember about the sequels they get goofier as the series progresses.
Old 02-27-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 646 Likes on 497 Posts

The first three were the most serious. I think four and five featured Jack Deth in a medieval world facing a sorcerer. Tim Thomerson cameos in six (via recycled footage from the previous movies) because Jack Deth ends up in the body of his daughter. The series was to continue with her. I never saw the sixth though so I dunno if it was any good.

Oh and Helen Hunt has an over-glorified cameo in part three and is never heard from again. And Richard Lynch is the villain of part two.

Yeah, those were the good ol' days before Full Moon started to suck. (Retro Puppet Master? )

Seems there was a sequel that appears in the anthology Pulse Pounders.

In this 'sequel' anthology, the film offers a TRANCERS sequel written by original creators Danny Bilson and Paul DeMeo, a new Lovecraft adaptation THE EVIL CLERGYMAN, featuring Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton, and finally a sequel to THE DUNGEONMASTER.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293905/

It was released after five but before six.

And Tim Thomerson cameos as Jack Deth in Evil Bong. I shit you not:

Cameos link to other Full Moon films, Jack Deth finds himself lost in Bong World but fails to achieve any Trancing . Ugly doll from 'Doll Graveyard' pops up (kinda literally) and Gingerdead Man (here voiced by John Carl Buechler). Little Phil (as in Fondacaro) seems to be looking for vampires again and Bill Moseley poddles around looking lost.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0829424/

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-28-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the set.
Since the first 3 and the 6th were mentioned, I'll mention 4 and 5.
They were written by Peter David, a fairly famous comic book writer (actually, he's in my top 3 of favorite comic writers: Alan Moore, Dave Sim, and Peter David). I think the whole series is fairly entertaining. 1's the best, but the other 4 aren't bad. 6 is a different animal, and it's interesting to watch. But, it's not part of the boxed set, so if you're not interested, don't bother.

The quality of the DVDs is not good--particularly the first movie, which is basically a DVD version of the fullscreen VHS release.

I got the set half-price direct from Full Moon during one of their sales. I'd recommend it to any fan of the first one. I saw the first one in the theater during its initial theatrical release. It was called "Future Cop" at the theater where I saw it, although that's listed on IMDB as its international title, I believe. I vividly remember the movie poster and the title, and when I sought it out later on VHS, I was searching under that name, not knowing at the time that there were sequels and the Trancers name was being used.
Old 02-27-10, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
I have the set.
Since the first 3 and the 6th were mentioned, I'll mention 4 and 5.
They were written by Peter David, a fairly famous comic book writer (actually, he's in my top 3 of favorite comic writers: Alan Moore, Dave Sim, and Peter David). I think the whole series is fairly entertaining. 1's the best, but the other 4 aren't bad. 6 is a different animal, and it's interesting to watch. But, it's not part of the boxed set, so if you're not interested, don't bother.

The quality of the DVDs is not good--particularly the first movie, which is basically a DVD version of the fullscreen VHS release.

I got the set half-price direct from Full Moon during one of their sales. I'd recommend it to any fan of the first one. I saw the first one in the theater during its initial theatrical release. It was called "Future Cop" at the theater where I saw it, although that's listed on IMDB as its international title, I believe. I vividly remember the movie poster and the title, and when I sought it out later on VHS, I was searching under that name, not knowing at the time that there were sequels and the Trancers name was being used.
I have heard about how shitty the quality of the DVD is. That's a total downer, but I might just go ahead and pick up the box regardless if I can find it for a decent deal.
Old 02-28-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cheato
Since the first 3 and the 6th were mentioned, I'll mention 4 and 5.They were written by Peter David, a fairly famous comic book writer (actually, he's in my top 3 of favorite comic writers: Alan Moore, Dave Sim, and Peter David).
Thanks. I don't really remember much about 4 and 5 beyond enjoying them back in the day.

This thread now has me wanting to watch all of these and the classic Full Moon catalogue again.
Old 02-28-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Oh and Helen Hunt has an over-glorified cameo in part three and is never heard from again. And David Lynch is the villain of part two.
lol David Lynch would never be in a Full Moon movie.
Old 02-28-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
He actually meant Richard Lynch, who suffers from a severe dryness of the skin in this film. It makes him look even creepier.

Last edited by Super X; 02-28-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Originally Posted by Super X
He actually meant [I]Richard[I] Lynch, who suffers from a severe dryness of the skin in this film. It makes him look even creepier.
Yeah, sorry, I meant Richard Lynch.
Old 03-02-10, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Thanks. I don't really remember much about 4 and 5 beyond enjoying them back in the day.

This thread now has me wanting to watch all of these and the classic Full Moon catalogue again.
Yeah, I'm gonna check out the whole Subspecies series now. My local Moviestop has the collection, so I might pick it up if I enjoy them enough.

And I'm definitely picking up the Trancers box now.
Old 03-02-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

I wish there was a decent DVD version of this out...
Old 03-02-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Subspecies was a lot of fun. And although silly, check out Dollman and Demonic Toys when you can.
Old 08-21-13, 04:09 PM

They just announced that they found an unreleased sequel to Trancers. its 1.5 cause the story is between 1 and 2. Full moon streaming has all the details but they shot it but it was lost so they made 2 and kept going but they found some vhs copy of a rough cut or something. Im willing to bet that it will be included when they release the movies on a bluray box set or something.
Old 08-21-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's cool. How do you lose a movie? Lol. Regardless, it would be cool to see.
Old 08-22-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird but awesome news.