Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Emma Stone has the gas face with that horrible dyed hair and the less said about Garfield's hair the better. If that makes me old then........get off my lawn.
Blonde is her natural color.
Old 05-15-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
... In fact, they've clearly set out to make Parker in this version more true to his comic roots.

Now this just makes you sound old. Peter's parents' origin is straight out of the comic book, and the only 'hipster' complaint you could possibly make about the cast is Andrew Garfield's hair.

For YOU (and members of your generation) this material is 'true to his roots' and 'straight out of the comic'- because your generation didn't get around to the character until what, 30+ years into his history?

I don't care what anyone says, the first two Raimi films were tonally 100% in accord with the silver and early bronze age of this character. Tone-wise, as good as any comic adaptation has ever been and far closer than the majority of them.
The Peter Parker that I grew up with, did not obsess about his parents, and did the majority of his web-slinging in the bright daylight. Raimi got that absolutely right. "I already have a father. His name is Ben Parker!"
To anyone who knows the true roots of this character- that's an involuntary fist pumping moment.

This to me doesn't look like an un-entertaining movie, but at the same time, it's not the version of the character that I, and many others of my generation, truly care about and sympathize/empathize with. The heavy angsty background is going to be something I'm expecting to have to endure rather than celebrate.
Old 05-15-12, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Emma Stone has the gas face with that horrible dyed hair
Old 05-15-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It looks perfectly fine. Anyone who's bitching about the CGI in these trailers is just bitching to bitch.
No, I'm bitching because I'm sensitive to bad CGI. It's no secret that the budget of this film is a fraction of the budget Raimi got for his last Spidey flick, and it shows in the trailers. But you know what, I do want this movie to fail, the best thing that could happen to the Spider-Man character is for the rights to revert back to Marvel.
Old 05-15-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

And yes, this will probably do worse than Spider-man 3, because that movie was the Batman & Robin of the Spider-Man films and the residual effects will be felt by this movie, much like what happened with Batman Begins.
That's my assessment as well. Plus it's only been five years (BB had eight).
Old 05-15-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I don't care what anyone says, the first two Raimi films were tonally 100% in accord with the silver and early bronze age of this character. Tone-wise, as good as any comic adaptation has ever been and far closer than the majority of them.
Agreed, the tone and warm color scheme was great. Unfortunately the acting, writing, and general direction didn't work for me. So, I'm definitely looking forward to this one for an improvement in those areas.... hopefully it still retains a fun sensibility.
Old 05-15-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

It looks perfectly fine. Anyone who's bitching about the CGI in these trailers is just bitching to bitch.
It looks perfectly fine TO YOU. Not everyone shares that opinion. That sequence where the tower is collapsing and he's dodging out of the way looks like a video game cut scene to me.
Old 05-15-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Video game cut scene circa 2002.
Old 05-15-12, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
It looks perfectly fine TO YOU. Not everyone shares that opinion.
As not everyone shares your opinion that it looks like horseshit because you're roaring mad that Raimi didn't get to make a fourth movie with Peter meandering down New York streets to some old-time song. Mindblowing, I know.
Old 05-15-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, you really hate the Raimi flicks. lol
Old 05-16-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CGI is easily the worst looking thing about the movie
Old 05-16-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

So far I'm actually pleasantly surprised by what I've seen from this. I was expecting a trainwreck, but so far it looks fairly good.

Not Spidey 1 or 2 good, but certainly as good as Spidey 3 (which I think gets bashed a little too much).

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt up until I see it. At that point it has to deliver the goods or not.

I may be predisposed to like a Spider Man movie as I started buying Spider Man comics in 1974 (and he's been my favorite superhero ever since)...

I stopped buying comics in the mid 90's when Marvel started the whole crossover to each and every title in the franchise stories that UNdid a lot of the classic stories from the 70's (the clone saga, in particular, started out interesting but then just pissed me off with all the radical changes and revisions they made). After that I was done.
Old 05-16-12, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For YOU (and members of your generation) this material is 'true to his roots' and 'straight out of the comic'- because your generation didn't get around to the character until what, 30+ years into his history?

The Peter Parker that I grew up with, did not obsess about his parents, and did the majority of his web-slinging in the bright daylight. Raimi got that absolutely right. "I already have a father. His name is Ben Parker!"
To anyone who knows the true roots of this character- that's an involuntary fist pumping moment.

This to me doesn't look like an un-entertaining movie, but at the same time, it's not the version of the character that I, and many others of my generation, truly care about and sympathize/empathize with. The heavy angsty background is going to be something I'm expecting to have to endure rather than celebrate.

Actually the history of Peter's parents was written by Stan Lee in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5 in 1968. Peter was cleaning the attic when he found a newspaper article that said his parents died as traitors to their country. Peter was horrified at this and went out to find out what it meant. He eventually discovered that they were actually CIA agents killed by Red Skull.

I don't think the Peter in the new movie is really obsessed with his parents. The trailers show one scene similar to the comic annual, with Peter finding the OsCorp ID card of his father. I think Peter just finds this card and then wants to find out what actually happened to his father, just like in the annual.

And regarding the daylight/nighttime debate, yes, in the comics Spidey tends to do most of his web-slinging during the day, but "realistically" it doesn't make much sense since criminals tend to be much more active at night. So I don't think its really that huge of a deal. The movie is just trying to be more "realistic" in that regard.
Old 05-16-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Movies #2-#4 in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Movies 2 and 3 in The Matrix Trilogy and the entirety of The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy all beg to argue.
I think you are making my point for me. Despite getting progressively worse, people still line up and each film makes more than the last. People talk shit on the internet, but most people aren't as critical and just want to be entertained for a couple hours.
Old 05-16-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

As not everyone shares your opinion that it looks like horseshit because you're roaring mad that Raimi didn't get to make a fourth movie with Peter meandering down New York streets to some old-time song. Mindblowing, I know.
Find where I said any of those things. I enjoy the Raimi films (3 isn't so great) but I have no particular affection for them.

This, however, doesn't look good to me.
Old 05-16-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
the best thing that could happen to the Spider-Man character is for the rights to revert back to Marvel.

Most intelligent statement in this whole thread...
Old 05-16-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Actually the history of Peter's parents was written by Stan Lee in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5 in 1968. Peter was cleaning the attic when he found a newspaper article that said his parents died as traitors to their country. Peter was horrified at this and went out to find out what it meant. He eventually discovered that they were actually CIA agents killed by Red Skull.
I've probably read that issue at some point. But just the fact that the synopsis makes my eyes roll makes me think I would have tried to forget it as quickly as possible if I had run across it.
My big misgiving with the interpretation of the character in ASM, at least as implied by the trailer, is that Parker has a destiny to fulfill . Kids with destinies are such a banal trope at this point.

I don't think the Peter in the new movie is really obsessed with his parents. The trailers show one scene similar to the comic annual, with Peter finding the OsCorp ID card of his father. I think Peter just finds this card and then wants to find out what actually happened to his father, just like in the annual.
Hey, if they're treating the character like a real person, of course I could see him wondering about them (more so pre Ben's death). We'll see how much they play this up. There's valid room for some of it-no question.

And regarding the daylight/nighttime debate, yes, in the comics Spidey tends to do most of his web-slinging during the day, but "realistically" it doesn't make much sense since criminals tend to be much more active at night. So I don't think its really that huge of a deal. The movie is just trying to be more "realistic" in that regard.
True. Though if other behavior isn't realistic, the night settings might just come off as TDK-wannabe style without substance. Again, we'll have to see.

And speaking of realistic, the extended scene on the bridge where he takes his mask of doesn't bother me one bit, though other people are kvetching that it's another instance where the hero can't keep his mask on.
There are a couple reasons Raimi kept having the mask come off, or have his face somehow exposed, and the main one was that an audience has a hard time emphasizing in an emotional high point with what is essentially and action figure, not a human being. It's not about the star mandating face time on camera. When an actor loses the use of his eyes and mouth and features to elicit or imprint emotion, he's left to broad hand gestures and body language. You just can't incorporate subtlety in a performance if your features are covered up. I don't know that I always agree with that call, but I fully understand it.
In the case of the bridge scene however, I think the unmasking is completely justified by the writing. It makes sense in the rescue of the kid, and actually shows Parker to be quick-witted, empathetic, and resourceful.
I liked that quite a bit and was surprised to see so many people dismiss it.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 05-16-12 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

All I'm gonna say is that it looks like a fun, entertaining movie with more on its mind than providing mindless action sequences and slow-mo 'splosions. I wasn't totally on-board at first (especially with that god-awful first trailer), but I've warmed up considerably since then.

FWIW I liked Spider-Man, LOVED Spider-Man 2, and haven't seen 3 since walking out of the theater in 2007 wanting to kick Raimi & co. square in their faces.
Old 05-16-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like what I've been seeing lately and am quietly hoping that this is this year's 'Rise of the PotA'.
Old 05-16-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

There are a couple reasons Raimi kept having the mask come off, or have his face somehow exposed, and the main one was that an audience has a hard time emphasizing in an emotional high point with what is essentially and action figure, not a human being. It's not about the star mandating face time on camera. When an actor loses the use of his eyes and mouth and features to elicit or imprint emotion, he's left to broad hand gestures and body language. You just can't incorporate subtlety in a performance if your features are covered up. I don't know that I always agree with that call, but I fully understand it.
I think it's more of the latter and less of the former. Assuming a film is split 50/50 between a masked hero and his alter ego, I don't think there is a problem connecting to the masked half. You know the character and emphasize from the other half of the performance as the everyday citizen.

The second part, about not being able to read emotion and body language is solid though. That's a big problem that is only solved by removing the mask.
Old 05-16-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

In the comics and animated series, you can have Spidey emote via shaping his eyes accordingly, which adds a layer of expression that simply can't be matched in live-action. I need a pen-pal.
Old 05-16-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
But you know what, I do want this movie to fail, the best thing that could happen to the Spider-Man character is for the rights to revert back to Marvel.
Question to anyone, if that ever where to happen is Marvel allowed/free to hire Garfield in a Marvel sequel or an Avengers flick?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
All I'm gonna say is that it looks like a fun, entertaining movie with more on its mind than providing mindless action sequences and slow-mo 'splosions. I wasn't totally on-board at first (especially with that god-awful first trailer), but I've warmed up considerably since then.

FWIW I liked Spider-Man, LOVED Spider-Man 2, and haven't seen 3 since walking out of the theater in 2007 wanting to kick Raimi & co. square in their faces.
My sentiments exactly, only difference I didn't walk out of the theater but stand up from the couch went to my room and cried a bit in silence
Old 05-16-12, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Question to anyone, if that ever where to happen is Marvel allowed/free to hire Garfield in a Marvel sequel or an Avengers flick?
Yes. They'd own the character...and they could get the actor. Sony at that point wouldn't own anything Spidey aside from the product created from it during their time w/ it.

Sony couldn't do shit about it once it's literally our of their hands. This isn't like when studio's had control of actors and where. That shit doesn't happen anymore..though...they do like to keep buddy buddy w/ them to make more money IF they had a good turnout w/ them.
Old 05-16-12, 01:07 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too wasnt too fond of Raimi Spidey either, because he looks like he's about to cut his wrists the whole time when he's Peter, and as Spiderman he's a blank without much of the wisecracks of the comics. Whatever happens with this movie CANNOT be possibly worse and so i'll go for that.
Old 05-16-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's weird how polarizing this movie is. I still think Spidey 2 is one of the best comic book movies, but the trailer for this looks decent. I'm surprised there are people that are treating the clips and trailers like it's the worst thing over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.