Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by Preterite
Either your reading comprehension skills are for shit, or you're a troll. Which is it?

Ok. Troll it is.
He takes things very personally, even if the point has nothing to do with him. Just best to leave him alone.
Old 06-14-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Sarcasm? The only time a darker Spider-Man has ever really worked was in the storyarc Kraven's Last Hunt. When they tried to darken him up like Batman in the 1990s, that was just a steaming pile of feces.

This movie won't exactly be targeting 8-12 year olds if the rumors are true that
Spoiler:
Captain Stacy dies. I also suspect Gwen will bite it in the sequel.
You're probably right but knowing nothing about this movie other than the super lame slam-dunk video, goofy "yee-haw" sounds from Spidey as he swings around town, corny dialogue from the police chief and the brighter theme, it appears like a kids movie to me.
Old 06-14-12, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
kgrogers1979, your knowledge of comic books is encyclopedic and nuanced. I appreciate that.

With that said, your arguments about how a film should be would be more compelling if you didn't keep referring to how things worked in the comics. Different media, different strengths and weaknesses. Something that may not have worked in the comics might be tailor-made for film and vice versa. "Spider-man only did that in issue #whatever and it sucked then" is not a point, it's a distraction.

Does it help to be knowledgeable of the comics? Sure, but by no means should it be a requirement, and should never be a limit to enjoying the film.

Sorry, I just thought he was being sarcastic about wanting a darker movie because back when they first started showing footage of the movie the most common complaint was that it was too dark with all the night time scenes and police constantly chasing Spidey.

And now that they are showing lighter scenes, people are complaining that its a kid's movie.
Old 06-14-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shazam
He takes things very personally, even if the point has nothing to do with him. Just best to leave him alone.
Originally Posted by Rob V
You're falling into his trap. If you ignore him maybe he'll go away.
Yeah, I decided to try out the Ignore List feature and save everyone the grief. Thanks!
Old 06-14-12, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
Ok. Troll it is.
Yeah, because only trolls hold off on judging movies before they've seen them.

Your reasoning skills are apparently really bad.
Old 06-14-12, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're probably right but knowing nothing about this movie other than the super lame slam-dunk video, goofy "yee-haw" sounds from Spidey as he swings around town, corny dialogue from the police chief and the brighter theme, it appears like a kids movie to me.
I haven't heard him say "yee-haw" or whatever. Some woo and woohoos, which...actually would be something most people say when they're doing something fun or experiencing something new. I actually like a lot of the shots in this film of him doing stuff cuz it's practical and a lot less cgi than one would expect..but cgi is there for the harder stuff.

I"m not sure where you're getting a kids movie out of all this. What I'm getting is mostly....mainstream big budget simple in some of those scenes.
Old 06-14-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

"woo-hoo" "yee-haw"... same thing

First thing I thought of when I heard that was a young Anakin in the pod. I'm not trying to slam the movie because clearly I haven't seen it. Just giving my impressions of the trailers.
Old 06-14-12, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to slam the movie because clearly I haven't seen it.
Of course not.
Old 06-14-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

seriously? so if you were swinging on a bridge, by webbing you created yourself, you'd be perfectly stoic? Not let out a "Wheeeeee!" or "woo-hoo!"?

nitpicking at its finest.
Old 06-14-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I love the scene in The Dark Knight when Batman jumps off the building in China, as he's gliding down he lets out a "WOO-HOO" before smashing through the window to grab Lau.
Old 06-14-12, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I love the scene in The Dark Knight when Batman jumps off the building in China, as he's gliding down he lets out a "WOO-HOO" before smashing through the window to grab Lau.
Now we're comparing a teenager with brand new SUPER POWERS to a hardened adult martial artist who's entire MO is stealth?

Yep, Valid Comparison.
Old 06-14-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This all comes down to the type of characters they are, though. Spider-Man has a bit of fun being Spider-Man. Batman is much more mission-driven.
Old 06-14-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Now we're comparing a teenager with brand new SUPER POWERS to a hardened adult martial artist who's entire MO is stealth?

Yep, Valid Comparison.
Okay, if you want to get realistic about what somebody would do if they really had those superpowers, I still think it seems childish. Like somebody mentioned earlier, a resounding "WOO-HOO" is reminiscent of a much younger child around 10 years old. Jake Lloyd has this exact line during the pod race and it was still fucking cheesy. A 17-year-old guy is more likely to say something like "HELL YEAH" than woo-hoo. I mean honestly, when is the last time you heard a post-pubescent male say woo-hoo?

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
This all comes down to the type of characters they are, though. Spider-Man has a bit of fun being Spider-Man. Batman is much more mission-driven.
Fun is fine. Taking dialogue cues from George Lucas is not.
Old 06-14-12, 04:11 PM
Banned

Even Raimi's Spidey did that stuff. It's not really new. It's part of the character.
Old 06-14-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Okay, if you want to get realistic about what somebody would do if they really had those superpowers, I still think it seems childish. Like somebody mentioned earlier, a resounding "WOO-HOO" is reminiscent of a much younger child around 10 years old. Jake Lloyd has this exact line during the pod race and it was still fucking cheesy. A 17-year-old guy is more likely to say something like "HELL YEAH" than woo-hoo. I mean honestly, when is the last time you heard a post-pubescent male say woo-hoo?
Maybe he's secretly a cowboy?
Old 06-14-12, 04:16 PM

When i developed my super powers, i was woo-hooing all over the F'in place!
Old 06-14-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Even Raimi's Spidey did that stuff. It's not really new. It's part of the character.
Like I said, a fun-loving spirit is fine, I just don't want to see them verge into cheeseball territory. There's a very fine line and while some aspects of this film look good, the majority of what I've seen is mediocre. The editing in the basketball scene was really pathetic for a major motion picture.
Old 06-14-12, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

Yep, Valid Comparison.

Not to mention that the Batman in TDK isn't a newbie like Spider-man in this movie. I bet the very first time Batman ever did something like that he let out a WHOO HOO.

The people complaining about this are probably the type of people that sit like a rock on a rollercoaster instead of raising their arms and shouting. That is if they even go on rollercoasters since they probably think rollercoasters are too childish for them.
Old 06-14-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

FWIW, I don't think either version should be yelling "woo hoo" or stuff like that. A teen with those kind of powers would most likely be saying stuff like:

"Fuck Yeah!!" or "God Damn!"
Old 06-14-12, 06:18 PM
Banned

Not everyone is a potty mouth.
Old 06-14-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

The bigger question remains why do we have to sit through him discovering his powers again? If they don't start the movie in a lab when a spider is about to bite him, they've already failed. No one needs this origin AGAIN.
Old 06-14-12, 08:24 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just about to ask that too.
Old 06-14-12, 08:34 PM
Banned

Trailers show him in the lab. Then there's a scene w/ Conners and Gwen w/ the class. So I'm assuming he diverges away and bam...spider bite etc.
Old 06-14-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Trailers show him in the lab. Then there's a scene w/ Conners and Gwen w/ the class. So I'm assuming he diverges away and bam...spider bite etc.
Oh, I'm guessing maybe we'll see Spider-Man for the first time around the half-hour mark. Gotta get through his family stuff, school scenes, intros of all characters, conspiracy groundwork, get him to the lab, designing web shooters, designing costume, maybe the wrestling fight again...cue soaring music at half-hour point.
Old 06-14-12, 09:40 PM

You'll get no argument from me about rehashing the origin story. Totally unnecessary. They could have just replaced the cast and made #4. Or reboot with maybe 5 minutes (10 at most) recapping the origin and go from there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.