Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't see how anyone could think that looks bad. I think it actually looks like a fresh take on spiderman. seems far more serious than the previous trilogy. spidey actually looks real swinging through the air instead of some cartoon.
I think it still looks like some cartoon

I liked Spider-man 2, it has some intentionally over the top acting in it (I guess Raimi was going for a comic book vibe, which worked for the most part, and was very consistent, but it was agreeably very unnatural) but told a very solid story. Spider-man 1 (High school stuff was fine, Green Goblin ruined it) and 3 (which ignored any growth in Spider-man 2 and basically regressed to jr. high school mentalities) not so much.

This ... just looks redundant, I'm sure it'll do alright but it just feels utterly pointless so far. I'm willing to bet I'll like it more than Raimi's Spider-man 1, but that isn't saying much.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-15-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-15-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
Could this movie have picked a worse summer to come out. Between Avengers, Prometheus and DKR, no one is going to care. Aside from the fact that it's a remake of an effects film that happened in the CGI era. Has that happened before? Trying to trump a modern CGI film with....modern CGI? Who thought this was a good idea. Really. In the trailers it doesn't look remotely as focused and intense as the Raimi Spidey.
Well, Avengers will be out of theaters before Spider-man hits. Prometheus opens up almost a month in advance, and it's an R-rated sci-fi film. TDK Rises opens up 17 days after Spider-man. That gives Spidey plenty of time to rack up at the box office. I think it has a great chance at being a $300+ million movie.

People aren't going to care that a new movie featuring one of the most popular comic book characters in history is being released? After Spider-man 3, I'm ready for a fresh take and cast. I think many people are going to feel the same way. Tobey Maguire isn't Christopher Reeve. He's definitely replaceable as a super hero.
Old 05-15-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spider-Man 3 was a major success. People don't want "a fresh take". This WILL do worse than the first three.
Old 05-15-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by argh923
Spider-Man 3 was a major success. People don't want "a fresh take". This WILL do worse than the first three.
Spider-man 3 did make alot of money, but it was the lowest grossing of the 3. How often do you hear people talk about how awesome part 3 is? Does the audience want more emo Peter Parker?
Old 05-15-12, 02:35 PM
Banned

No one with a brain actually liked that movie. It did well because Spider-Man 2 was a huge success.

And yes, this will probably do worse than Spider-man 3, because that movie was the Batman & Robin of the Spider-Man films and the residual effects will be felt by this movie, much like what happened with Batman Begins.
Old 05-15-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Emo Parker wasn't even the worst thing in Spider-man 3. Somewhat amazing that the movie found a way to be worse.
Old 05-15-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Aren't people all superhero'd out after THE AVENGERS? It'll pick up in time for DARK KNIGHT RISES, but I'm betting this new SPIDERMAN will suffer in the interim. Too much too soon.
Old 05-15-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
No one with a brain actually liked that movie. It did well because Spider-Man 2 was a huge success.

And yes, this will probably do worse than Spider-man 3, because that movie was the Batman & Robin of the Spider-Man films and the residual effects will be felt by this movie, much like what happened with Batman Begins.
You're just so sheltered by the "internet opinion" here that you don't get it. Batman & Robin was widely regarded as a flop by everyone. Spider-Man 3 was liked by the general public. People are expecting Spider-Man 4, not a reboot of a very recent series.
Old 05-15-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most people I've talked to turned on Spider-man altogether because of Spider-man 3, not sure where you got that the general public liked it, though it did score a "reasonable" B+ on cinemascore at the time, I also didn't ask kids. Just people around my age group (21 - 35-ish).

It wasn't panned by the general public like Hulk (which was better than S3, imo) was, but I seriously haven't heard anyone say anything good about it either.

Some pointless numbers to go with this:

Spoiler:

Spider-man 1 opened with $114m and ended with $403m, 37.8% drop on its second weekend
Spider-man 2 opened with $88m and ended with $374m, 48.7% drop on its second weekend
Spider-man 3 opened with $151m and ended with $336m, 61.5% drop on its second weekend

Most signs seem to suggest it wasn't really a particularly well liked entry.

FWIW, Batman and Robin opened to $42.8m, and dropped 63.3% in its second weekend to $15.7m.
Hulk opened to $62m and dropped 69.7% to $18.8m in its second weekend
The Matrix Revolutions opened to $48.4m and dropped 66.1% in its second weekend (mix of too fast and damage done from an underwhelming Matrix Reloaded explain the lower opening (50% that of Reloaded), it being a total flaming piece of shit explains the drop.)

Last edited by RichC2; 05-15-12 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 04:06 PM

The Amazing Spider-Man is sandwiched between Brave, which is set to be a very nice rebound for Pixar after Cars 2, and The Dark Knight Rises.

Basically TASM has 17 days to make money while competing with Brave for 3D/family viewership. Then TDKR comes out.

I predict about $260m for TASM. I think Brave will nip it by a small margin.
Old 05-15-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Brave is going to whoop some ass this summer. Not TDKR's ass, but some ass.
Old 05-15-12, 04:20 PM
Banned

You're just so sheltered by the "internet opinion" here that you don't get it. Batman & Robin was widely regarded as a flop by everyone. Spider-Man 3 was liked by the general public. People are expecting Spider-Man 4, not a reboot of a very recent series.
Keep telling yourself that.
Old 05-15-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

argh - you are wrong. The new film's trailers play in front of millions of people every day, and the point of every bit of marketing hammers home the statement that this isn't the same Spider-man series.

Spider-man 3 was a hit, but not a well-received one, and it's more of a testament to the character's appeal and marketing that it made as much money as it did. It made a lot of mistakes and changes that audiences disliked and derided, and as a result the series' legacy was tainted. Of course, a lot of people looked forward to a fourth film, but hoped that the next film redeemed the series after 3's missteps. Even if it was a calculated tactic to retain character rights, recasting the roles and restarting the series - even if a new origin was hardly necessary - was probably the best option.

Sure, there's a few people who don't know it's a whole new series, just like you had those folks who'd swear up and down that Batman Begins logically led into Tim Burton's Batman. But they're the minority, not the majority.
Old 05-15-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

A lot of people seem to be missing the point with this one.
While I'm sure Sony would absolutely love an off the chart blockbuster, what they really want is to re-brand the property and build a strong franchise around it. This isn't a one off deal where they have to justify everything with this one movie.
Like Batman Begins, it can afford to be a modest success at the box office as long as it leaves people wanting to see further films with the same cast/creative direction so that for, a few seasons at least, they will have a tent pole to reliably plug into their schedule- without floundering around aimlessly in pre-production for an indeterminable period.
If the film 'works' in and of itself and, like Batman Begins and the first X-Men, can bring more people through video, it will do it's job. People will have a positive inclination to the material and audiences will grow for subsequent chapters, assuming the quality and tone is consistent.

Also, does anyone know yet just how much of this film is 'origin' and how it proceeds? Are these origin bits done sequentially (i.e the film starts with Pete as a boy, and follows him until he gets the spider bite and then in the last 1/2 he meets the Lizard, etc), or are they random (and brief) bits of flashback? I will be surprised if it's the former.
Old 05-15-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Enjoy your Power Ranger-enemies, hideous monkey-face Mary Jane, non-wisecracking Parker, mechanical web-shooters and "It's SOOO Good" version then.

'Cause those movies were "awesome".
By "Dark and gritty" I mean no fuckin' action sequence (when spidey's on screen)shown has been in the daylight. The tone and look is dark. Say what you will about the Raimi trilogy but 2 was spot on perfect in look, story, and tone. We haven't been shown one lighthearted sequence yet. Oh wait, I forgot about Spidey shooting webs at the thief with small knives. Get the F outta here. lol Combine that with changing up the origins and the hipsters playing the leads and I'm out. Simple as that. I'll catch it on HBO.

BTW, the CGI in some of these previews is down right hideous, don't understand the praise for the FX.
Old 05-15-12, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
By "Dark and gritty" I mean no fuckin' action sequence (when spidey's on screen)shown has been in the daylight.
There's an entire sequence with Spidey and The Lizard shown fighting in daylight. At least try to be correct when you bitch needlessly.

BTW, the CGI in some of these previews is down right hideous, don't understand the praise for the FX.
Some of us actually remember what the CGI in Spidey 1 & 2 looked like, while some of you are needlessly nostalgic about some pretty shitty movies. It's as simple as that.

We haven't been shown one lighthearted sequence yet. Oh wait, I forgot about Spidey shooting webs at the thief with small knives. Get the F outta here. lol
Oh look, wrong again. And what's worse is that you openly acknowledge that you're wrong and still probably see it as a valid criticism. Just because Parker isn't waltzing down the street like a herpy-derpy retard while "I'm walking on Sunshine" is playing in the background (or worse, doing his 'emo dance') doesn't mean this movie won't have light-hearted sequences. In fact, they've clearly set out to make Parker in this version more true to his comic roots.

Combine that with changing up the origins and the hipsters playing the leads and I'm out. Simple as that. I'll catch it on HBO.
Now this just makes you sound old. Peter's parents' origin is straight out of the comic book, and the only 'hipster' complaint you could possibly make about the cast is Andrew Garfield's hair. At least the love interest in this film doesn't look like a fucking chimpanzee, and they actually got some competent actors for the supporting roles and not the cavalcade of jokesters and B-movie actors that made up the previous series' supporting cast.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 05-15-12 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Some of us actually remember what the CGI in Spidey 1 & 2 looked like, while some of you are needlessly nostalgic about some pretty shitty movies. It's as simple as that.
What does Spidey 1 or 2 have to do with TASM? If you want to compare them you have to acknowledge the fact that you're comparing CGI in movies from 2002/2004 to a movie coming out in 2012. I agree that there is some really shitty CGI in the previews for this flick, and considering it came out ten years after the original Spider-Man, there's no excuse for that. It's obvious that Sony is doing this on the cheap.
Old 05-15-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's the best part of all of this:

Fans can enjoy the Raimi films AND can enjoy the new film if they so choose, just like the Burton / Schumacher Batman films and the Nolan Batman films.

ONE DOES NOT WIPE THE OTHER ONE'S EXISTENCE OUT.

For fuck's sakes, these arguments don't even make any fucking sense.
Old 05-15-12, 06:22 PM
En vacance

^that is the voice of reason, but people WANT to throw crap at one another from trees, it's part of the fun.
Old 05-15-12, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What does Spidey 1 or 2 have to do with TASM? If you want to compare them you have to acknowledge the fact that you're comparing CGI in movies from 2002/2004 to a movie coming out in 2012. I agree that there is some really shitty CGI in the previews for this flick, and considering it came out ten years after the original Spider-Man, there's no excuse for that. It's obvious that Sony is doing this on the cheap.
It looks perfectly fine. Anyone who's bitching about the CGI in these trailers is just bitching to bitch.
Old 05-15-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
A lot of people seem to be missing the point with this one.
While I'm sure Sony would absolutely love an off the chart blockbuster, what they really want is to re-brand the property and build a strong franchise around it. This isn't a one off deal where they have to justify everything with this one movie.
Like Batman Begins, it can afford to be a modest success at the box office as long as it leaves people wanting to see further films with the same cast/creative direction so that for, a few seasons at least, they will have a tent pole to reliably plug into their schedule- without floundering around aimlessly in pre-production for an indeterminable period.
If the film 'works' in and of itself and, like Batman Begins and the first X-Men, can bring more people through video, it will do it's job. People will have a positive inclination to the material and audiences will grow for subsequent chapters, assuming the quality and tone is consistent.

Also, does anyone know yet just how much of this film is 'origin' and how it proceeds? Are these origin bits done sequentially (i.e the film starts with Pete as a boy, and follows him until he gets the spider bite and then in the last 1/2 he meets the Lizard, etc), or are they random (and brief) bits of flashback? I will be surprised if it's the former.
Amazing Spider-man 2 is already scheduled for May 2, 2014. I don't think Sony would book that date yet unless they liked what they've seen. They must feel they have a hit with this one.

I wouldn't expect the film will start with him as a child. Maybe in some flashbacks, but I would say they'd start with Garfield up front. Let's assume the film is roughly 2 hours. Which means we get our first Lizard sighting around 45 minutes in? It seemed like it took a while before we saw the Green Goblin in the original.
Old 05-15-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Keep telling yourself that.
I generally disliked turd doesn't make almost a billion dollars.

Internet opinion ≠ general opinion
Old 05-15-12, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I generally disliked turd doesn't make almost a billion dollars.

Internet opinion ≠ general opinion
Movies #2-#4 in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Movies 2 and 3 in The Matrix Trilogy and the entirety of The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy all beg to argue.
Old 05-15-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DragonTattoo, WTF dude?Nice of you to breakdown my issues with a fuckin' film you so openly love that hasn't even come out yet. The trailers and previews, you know, the things the studios use to try and sell a film, have not moved me to see it. believe me, I know the origins in the comic books, don't need another retelling of the origin in cinema. IMHO, the leads look ridiculous. Emma Stone has the gas face with that horrible dyed hair and the less said about Garfield's hair the better. If that makes me old then........get off my lawn.

BTW, I bet you were just laughing your ass off when the Spidey/Car thief scene played out.
Old 05-15-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a reason why most of the action sequences shown is in the dark, the cgi sucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.