Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spider-Man (2012, Marc Webb)

2nd trailer was solid. I'm really looking forward to this one.
Old 05-03-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I see a 3D option on Youtube....did I miss a memo about glasses for the computer, or is that aimed at television displays?
Old 05-03-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

That is a bad ass trailer better than the 1st.

I do agree about Garfield too...and it's that sick afro he's got going on. Amazing with the Spider-Man mask on he manages it hide and sandwich it down very well.
Old 05-04-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that trailer made it look far better.
Old 05-04-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

His hang up about his parents- while a valid component for a serious re-interpretation- might be the only thing about this that's hard for me to embrace. That's simply not the spirit of the character as I know him. But I'm willing to put my prejudices aside and see if the film uses this aspect well, or if it is just shoe-horned in to be different. Probably more of the latter, since it's a reboot so soon on the heels of the original series.

Otherwise, I'm liking what I'm seeing- a lot!
While it would have been nice and iconic to see the lab coat on the lizard for the whole movie- would it have made much sense for a character to keep something on that restricts his movement even slightly? The character in the trailer moves dynamically, so the absence of the coat is not unwarranted.

Also, have to give the trailer/film props for being as colorful as it is, despite the 'dark' aesthetic. This is one of the few big films that seems to be eschewing the uber-cliched TEAL & ORANGE color grading that infects everything nowadays. If for no other reason, I would like to see this film succeed so that other filmmakers can see how beautiful a film full of pure, unmolested hues is.
And from what I can see in the trailer, the film looks like every cent is on the screen.

Hope the final product is as invigorating as the trailer, but so far my enthusiasm for the movie is definitely on the upswing and will be even more so come July 4.
Old 05-04-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't get all these complaints I've been reading lately about teal and orange in movies these days. It seems like just another thing to bitch about just for the sake of doing so..
Old 05-04-12, 02:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter is supposed to be a nerd, and Garfield with his goofy hair looks like a nerd to me.
Old 05-04-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Good comments Paul, I pretty much agree. For me the actors and dialogue alone are a huge improvement, just from the trailers. And of course 10yrs of technology and fx have helped to improve things visually that much more. Like others I would've preferred the slithering, smart, lean Lizard from the old cartoon, but, I guess we'll take what we can get at this point. Better than a Power Rangers suit...
Old 05-04-12, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I see a 3D option on Youtube....did I miss a memo about glasses for the computer, or is that aimed at television displays?
Not too sure about on a computer, though many videos have a red/blue option. On a 3D TV, you can take the side-by-side format and the TV will unsqueeze it and display it in 3D, looks pretty good most of the time.
Old 05-04-12, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't get all these complaints I've been reading lately about teal and orange in movies these days. It seems like just another thing to bitch about just for the sake of doing so..
T&O may be valid in certain circumstances, to get a cross a particular mood- but that's not how it used these days. EVERYTHING, from serious dramas to cheap ass sci-fi and horror b-movies is labored with this restricted, one note, palate across the entire run time.
And what's even worse to me is, catalog titles being remastered and released on Bd are being retrofitted with T&O grading. Ridley Scott's films are one of the worst examples of this revisionism. This is something that subtly, but fundamentally alters the feel of a favorite film.

Maybe I'm more tuned in to this because I'm in the visual arts, but it's not a subtle trend and it's not just a nit pick. Not when it's part and parcel of nearly every film released these days.
Not enough bitching about this practice, imo.
I would love to see movies go back to being warm, colorful, and not so phony, artificial and hyper stylized looking all the time.

All we need is one blockbuster to buck this trend and we might start seeing a little more visual variety in the marketplace.
Old 05-04-12, 05:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to derail the thread, but perhaps you could provide us with some comparison screenshots, Paul, so we can better understand what you mean when you say teal and orange grading, because I am not seeing this in movies where you claim it to be prevalent, so I'd love to know exactly what you're referring to.
Old 05-04-12, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll grab some comparative caps and post them in a separate thread sometime this weekend.

I'm passionate about this, but don't want to derail any threads getting all worked up about it.
Old 05-04-12, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Try the crossed-eyes method, lol
Old 05-04-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing the latest trailer pre-Avengers, I am more excited about the film than I was previously. I initially was writing it off as a too-soon reboot, but I've since embraced comic book movies as now a replacement for actual comic books, so the multiple series (or reboots) of the same character thing doesn't really bug me. But, the parent or more specifically father plot-line highlighted in the trailer reminded me a little too much of the Tony-Howard Stark dynamic and would wish they didn't go that route.

But, as much as I don't want to reward Hollywood for becoming a comic book factory, I cannot help it. Comic books were fun to read as a kid and comic book movies are fun to watch as an adult. So, I'll be there to reward the quick on the trigger franchise reboot with a ticket purchase when this comes out.
Old 05-04-12, 10:36 AM
Banned

"You've found my weakness. It's small knives"

That's the jokester Spidey I know.
Old 05-04-12, 12:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, for all this talk about the movie being more serious, it seems like Spidey himself is a lot funnier, between the small knives and the bit in the back of the car from the last trailer.
Old 05-04-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by georgec
This movie just doesn't grab my attention. Despite how they're trying to revise some of the origin story, it just feels tired.
Agreed. And honestly, the CG looks horrible. That collapse at the end, Spiderman jumping around...it just looks BAD. Completely took me out of it.

Also, my point stands - there's nothing really in that trailer that tells Joe Public that this is a reboot. The ONLY thing is the brief shot of him walking in high school. People are going to think this is Spider-Man 4 and be terribly confused.

I hold to my opinion that this will be by far the least successful of the movies.
Old 05-04-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still in. and I agree about this being more "colorful" than most "dark" movies. It doesn't look drab at like Superman Returns was. It also seems like this Spidey behaves more spider-like than Toby Maguire's version. There were a lot of shots in that trailer that showed him actually crawling even during fights with the lizard, which I kinda liked.
Old 05-04-12, 01:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The trailer seems to imply that his powers are, at least in part, genetic. Great idea, guys, because that worked so well for the Ang Lee Hulk movie.
Old 05-04-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
The trailer seems to imply that his powers are, at least in part, genetic. Great idea, guys, because that worked so well for the Ang Lee Hulk movie.
Spider-Man’s origin has been changed in The Amazing Spider-Man. The spider bite no longer gives Peter powers, it rather activates something already in his genetic structure. Something placed there by his father. Peter Parker is no longer super-powered by chance, but rather by design.
http://latino-review.com/2012/05/04/spider-man-amazing/
Old 05-04-12, 01:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow, even the "placed there by his father" is right out of Hulk. Ugh.
Old 05-04-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I caught this trailer again last nigt in front of The Avengers, but this time in 3D. Gotta say, this thing will at least be impressive in IMAX. That final scene of the building tower collapse, however CGI it may be, looked far superior in 3D.

God, I feel like such a tool for saying that since I generally deride 3D, but I can't deny what I saw.
Old 05-04-12, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abrg923
Agreed. And honestly, the CG looks horrible. That collapse at the end, Spiderman jumping around...it just looks BAD. Completely took me out of it.
Oh please, if this is your complaint then you must think the CGI in the original Spider-man movie looks like an episode of Gumby.
Old 05-04-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Oh please, if this is your complaint then you must think the CGI in the original Spider-man movie looks like an episode of Gumby.
I don't remember the CGI in Spider-Man(2002) but the CGI in the sequels was very good. With all of the issues of Spider-Man 3 you could never complain about the special effects. Sandman looked amazing. The CGI in the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man does not look seamless, it needs a lot more work. One of the downsides of cutting a budget from over $200 million down to $80 million. It's not like there was one or two bad shots in the trailer, but the majority of the special effects shots look bad to me. Spider-Man is ten years old so it's understandable that the effects look a bit dated but with TASM it's obvious that the studio is cutting corners on the budget.
Old 05-04-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
With all of the issues of Spider-Man 3 you could never complain about the special effects. Sandman looked amazing.
The other day I was watching Spider-Man 3 on the spanish channel...and I too was saying to myself how did they a great job with the Sandman. Special effects were done very nice. I felt a bit sad that they did not continue with a 4th.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.