Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sir Patrick Stewart

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sir Patrick Stewart

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sir Patrick Stewart

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ood/index.html
Knighthood for Patrick Stewart? Queen says make it so

London, England (CNN) -- He has played kings, princes, captains and professors on stage and screen, but now actor Patrick Stewart will have a new title all his own: "Sir."

The 69-year-old Yorkshire, England, native tops the list of those receiving New Year's honors from Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, the Cabinet Office announced Thursday.

Stewart, well-known for playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," will receive a knighthood. It means he will now be known in Britain as "Sir Patrick."

Others on the list include designers, restaurateurs and two famous names from Formula 1 racing.

Ross Brawn, who started the Brawn GP Formula 1 team that won the constructors championship in 2009, will receive an OBE, which stands for Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

Brawn started his eponymous team this year after buying out the existing Honda team. Mercedes-Benz took over the team last month, announcing that Brawn would remain at the helm and that the team would be renamed Mercedes GP.

Jenson Button, who won the 2009 Formula 1 drivers championship, will receive an MBE, or Member of the Order of the British Empire. He races with the Brawn-Mercedes team.

The 2008 F1 champion, Lewis Hamilton, received an MBE last year.

British designer Amanda Wakeley, whose designs grace models on the catwalk and celebrities on the red carpet, will receive an OBE.

Two other British designers will receive MBEs. Cath Kidston is known for putting traditional floral prints on modern accessories, and Luella Bartley was hailed for mixing prim and punk before her label was forced to close last month.

Also receiving an MBE are Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers, who together started the River Cafe in London, along the Thames. Their passion for Italian cuisine has led critics to call the restaurant one of the most influential in Britain, and the two have written several cookbooks together.

A committee within the British Cabinet Office assembles the honors list, which is released twice a year -- at New Year's and on the queen's birthday in June. Queen Elizabeth awards the honors to recipients in ceremonies at Buckingham Palace.

The awards recognize service and achievement in all fields and are considered a major honor for British citizens. Noncitizens may also be recognized.

A knighthood is the highest honor. Men are made knights, after which they are called "sirs," and women are made dames.

Below that comes CBE, which stands for Commander of the Order of the British Empire. OBE and MBE follow respectively.
Good on you, Sir Patrick.
Old 12-31-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart

Very cool. Way to go, Sir Patrick. You can now pick up some knighthood pointers from Dame Elton.
Old 12-31-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I heard with this knighthood he will possess the power to make women's clothes fall off just by staring at them
Old 01-01-10, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I've seen everything, I've seen it all."
Old 01-01-10, 10:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I heard with this knighthood he will possess the power to make women's clothes fall off just by staring at them
That shit was awesome. Gervais' reaction was priceless.

I really wish he'd do a hell of a lot more comedy. I think he'd be a natural at it. Maybe now that he's knighted, he'll make a change in his career choices and do comedies from now on.
Old 01-01-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a mod delete the other posts in this thread?
Old 01-01-10, 01:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"From one queen to another, thanks Your Majesty!"
Old 01-01-10, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Did a mod delete the other posts in this thread?
There was a 4 hour window or so last night that deleted all threads and responses during that time.
Old 01-01-10, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Actually, in other threads talking about it, it was a 17 hour window in which all responses and threads started during that time were lost.
Old 01-01-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-01-10, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ea7bj5MsyAU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ea7bj5MsyAU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-10-13, 06:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Just married]

Congrats to Sir P and his new Mrs, Sunny Ozell...

... Third time lucky?

Sir Ian McKellen officiates
Old 09-10-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Hope so.. I was around the Trek offices when he and Wendy were dating. She was still a part of the series as a producer on Voyager.

Fondest memory was sitting in a meeting with Ken Biller in Jeri Taylor's office when Wendy brought Patrick by to say hello. Both Biller and I stood up immediately when he entered the room. It took a lot of self restraint not to address him as Captain.
Old 09-10-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cool. I warmed up to Patrick Stewart after his work on Seth Macfarlane's shows.
Old 09-10-13, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? He's always been cool. Hell, I don't give a fuck about Star Trek but he sure as hell is cool. He's actually the only reason I'll even see ST:NG. It's mostly a good show but I just don't care for ST.
Old 09-10-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"Temba, his arms wide open."
Old 09-10-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's up to his eyes in balls in that picture. Sir Ian is probably a bit jealous.