Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Knight and Day (Mangold, 2010) - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Knight and Day (Mangold, 2010) - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Knight and Day (Mangold, 2010) - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz

Generations is awful, imo. And it's not like TNG needed the torch passed in that manner. I think the 7 successful seasons of their show established their legitimacy well enough.
Old 06-25-10, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saw this tonight. Let's just say, I did NOT enjoy this. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. The only thing truly worthwhile in it was the charms of it's actors, and Tom Cruise gave a genuinely good performance as per usual - but for a character that was ultimately rather uninteresting to me.

I also really disliked the score to the film too, though I bet most people won't be caring too much about that for this film.
Old 06-25-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While I would love for this movie to be good, all of the previews make it seem like Tom Cruise doing a watered down Ethan Hunt with Cameron Diaz being annoying while a bland story occurs. Most reviews seem to indicate I'm right.
Old 06-25-10, 08:18 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I would not suggest seeing this unless you have time to waste. This reminded me in some ways of Date Night and I didn't like that much, and that was better. But this was just there for no reason. Had some decent set pieces and beautiful locales and Cruise and Diaz were ok, but the plot was seriously crappy and thin.
Old 06-26-10, 12:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I agree that the plot was crappy and thin, but as a popcorn film - it was fun. Surprisingly violent and some good action scenes - I don't know I kind of enjoyed it - it wasn't great by a long shot, but I was entertained. The Friday night almost sold out crowd was a VERY weird bunch - alot of the folk were I'd say over 55 - It was like it was 'senior' night, it was very strange and surreal.
Old 06-26-10, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So it's not a MUST BUY type of film? Ok...guess I'll rent it in the future at best.
Old 06-26-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ever watch a movie where the characters are watching a movie inside that movie? That's what it was like watching "Knight and Day", where Tom Cruise is playing a spy, Roy Miller, who appears to have gone rogue, leaving a high body count in his wake from his pursuers, and Cameron Diaz plays June Havens, someone inadvertently caught up in Roy's spy drama. The total lack of tension in most of the action scenes, coupled with clumsily written character scenes, the connective tissue of a movie just rendered this an inert exercise in the spy-chase genre of filmmaking without much for the audience to invest into the characters.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 06-26-10, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ your sound like the review in Time Out New York
Old 06-26-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
Ever watch a movie where the characters are watching a movie inside that movie? That's what it was like watching "Knight and Day", where Tom Cruise is playing a spy, Roy Miller, who appears to have gone rogue, leaving a high body count in his wake from his pursuers, and Cameron Diaz plays June Havens, someone inadvertently caught up in Roy's spy drama. The total lack of tension in most of the action scenes, coupled with clumsily written character scenes, the connective tissue of a movie just rendered this an inert exercise in the spy-chase genre of filmmaking without much for the audience to invest into the characters.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Wait a minute? Their last names aren't Knight And Day? I thought that was the point of the dumb title.
Old 06-26-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They explain the "Knight" part, but the "Day" part is a stretch.
Old 06-26-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

The At the Movies guys destroyed this movie. They hated it.
Old 06-27-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Caught a matinee of this today, and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 06-27-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Made the mistake of seeing this last night. What an absolutely dreadful piece of garbage this movie is. And you can see from my earlier posts in this thread I love Cruise & thought the first trailer looked really promising.

The only thing positve, that works in this entire movie is Cruise. It was like he knew what a turd he was making and tried to put the entire production on his shoulders.

It had one of the worst scripts I have seen in recent years. The dialogue was just cringe-worthy, the plot even in a lighthearted "popcorn fun" way made asbolutely no sense whatsoever, the ending made me want to vomit with how corny it was.

It had the single worst villain I can ever remember seeing. And Cruise in a completely hetero-way, looked a lot more pretty than Diaz does. She looked like she had about 3 inches of make-up on to hide all the aging.

And if you are going to make a movie like this, at least get the action right. There was just attrocious use of bluescreen throughout the movie at times just comical.
Old 06-27-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
A friend of mine worked on this movie - he essentially worked on the effects, more specifically, going frame-by-frame to make Cruise and Diaz look younger, erasing age lines and such, basically Benjamin Buttoning them.
He should have worked harder. Both actors' crows' feet lines were kinda distracting. Admittedly, Cruise does look far better than most 47 year old men but Diaz looks every bit of her 38 years, and then some. I wonder what she looked like before the FX were applied.

The movie was decent overall. Not going to buy it or anything but it was a serviceable summer action movie. Far, far better than the similar Killers but not as good as The A-Team. My hopes for a truly awesome summer action movie lies in Salt next month.

Last edited by Defiant1; 06-27-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
He should have worked harder. Both actors' crows' feet lines were kinda distracting. Admittedly, Cruise does look far better than most 47 year old men but Diaz looks every bit of her 38 years, and then some. I wonder what she looked like before the FX were applied.

The movie was decent overall. Not going to buy it or anything but it was a serviceable summer action movie. Far, far better than the similar Killers but not as good as The A-Team. My hopes for a truly awesome summer action movie lies in Salt next month.
I am still holding out hope for The Expendables and The Other Guys.
Old 06-27-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Defiant1
He should have worked harder. Both actors' crows' feet lines were kinda distracting. Admittedly, Cruise does look far better than most 47 year old men
Thought Cruise was 48 & don't think it showed one bit on screen. Certainly didn't find it distracting as you did.
Old 06-27-10, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This statement from

A friend of mine worked on this movie - he essentially worked on the effects, more specifically, going frame-by-frame to make Cruise and Diaz look younger, erasing age lines and such, basically Benjamin Buttoning them.
debunks your belief on exactly HOW good he does look. Regardless of BBing him or not..he still looks good.
Old 06-27-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

There's fine line (figuratively and literally), where they don't want to make the CGI de-aging too obvious either.
Old 06-27-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's fine line (figuratively and literally), where they don't want to make the CGI de-aging too obvious either.
I thought even what they did was too obvious. There were a couple EXTREME CLOSE-UPS of Diaz' face that were obviously really touched up. There weren't any pores or marks, it just looked like a moving airbrushed magazine picture or something.

I caught this today and didn't think much of it. Cruise was great but Diaz sucked in every way possible. The story was lame and it looked like the most fun parts of the movie were
Spoiler:
skipped over in those annoying fade in/fade outs

I wish I saw the A-Team again instead.
Old 06-30-10, 06:57 PM

Saw this today and I really enjoyed it I thought it was a ton of fun. It was well shot some really fun action and comedy. Really loved the Chase on the Motorcycle towards the end of the film, one of the better action scenes in a while very well shot.

Really though Tom Cruise did a great job here. The movies a ton more fun every time hes on screen. Love the way he reacts to all the crazy things going on.

Movie was well worth seeing.

B+
Old 06-30-10, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I thought even what they did was too obvious. There were a couple EXTREME CLOSE-UPS of Diaz' face that were obviously really touched up. There weren't any pores or marks, it just looked like a moving airbrushed magazine picture or something.

You must have crappy theater, because there was none of that going on her face. It looked normal to me I could see details in her skin like it wasn't blurred out or touched up
Old 06-30-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sessa17
It had one of the worst scripts I have seen in recent years. The dialogue was just cringe-worthy, the plot even in a lighthearted "popcorn fun" way made asbolutely no sense whatsoever, the ending made me want to vomit with how corny it was.
Agreed. After seeing it my initial reaction was that even though I despised the screenplay, I figured it was at least trying to be a throw-back to 90's action films in a way that was semi-original. Thinking about it more, I just cannot escape the fact that I thought it had one of the worst screenplays of recent memory. It was absolutely -- mind-numbingly -- awful.
Old 07-01-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Even compared to The Bounty Hunter? That screenplay was just unbearably awful.
Old 07-04-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
And if you are going to make a movie like this, at least get the action right. There was just attrocious use of bluescreen throughout the movie at times just comical.
It seems like directors are having a contest to see who can overdo the bluescreen/greenscreen thing.
Old 07-12-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw this tonight. Although I agree at the overuse of greenscreen in the action scenes I found the movie to be quite entertaining. I give it a C+ or maybe even a B-. I'll definitely check this out on Blu when released. I wouldn't neccessarily own it but if a deal or used comes along I would consider it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.