Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brittany Murphy dead at 32

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brittany Murphy dead at 32

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Brittany Murphy dead at 32

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Declining celebrities who turn their lives around don't sell newspapers.
No ... they sell books!
Old 12-20-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

As a parent of a diabetic child I call bullshit and take some offense. There is no possible way she had type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is brought on by a genetic disposition and physical conditions (i.e., obesity) and poor diet (too many fats, not enough carbs & fibers) ... I don't think that was the case. (FYI in type 2 the body "ignores" the naturally produced insulin or does not produce enough -- this can be "cured" through behavioral adjustment).

Type 1 is a possibility ... type 1 is an auto-immune disease in which the body turns on the pancreas and destroys the ability to produce insulin. People that have this type of diabetes include Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, one of the Jonas Brothers, and my daughter. What led to my daughter's diagnosis was what we thought was a severe flu last January -- so this is possible. I don't think it is very likely unless she was aware that she had it and failed to take care of herself properly. (Possible)

There is a lesser known form called "gestational diabetes" that manifests in pregnant women ...
Old 12-21-09, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To bad her death will miss all the year end 2009 issues. Since the media prints their year 2009 issue 2 weeks before the year is over. Like no news is supposed to happen cause the media says so.
I just got my PLAYBOY year in sex issue and no story on Tiger Woods.
Old 12-21-09, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
As a parent of a diabetic child I call bullshit and take some offense. There is no possible way she had type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is brought on by a genetic disposition and physical conditions (i.e., obesity) and poor diet (too many fats, not enough carbs & fibers) ... I don't think that was the case. (FYI in type 2 the body "ignores" the naturally produced insulin or does not produce enough -- this can be "cured" through behavioral adjustment).

Type 1 is a possibility ... type 1 is an auto-immune disease in which the body turns on the pancreas and destroys the ability to produce insulin. People that have this type of diabetes include Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, one of the Jonas Brothers, and my daughter. What led to my daughter's diagnosis was what we thought was a severe flu last January -- so this is possible. I don't think it is very likely unless she was aware that she had it and failed to take care of herself properly. (Possible)

There is a lesser known form called "gestational diabetes" that manifests in pregnant women ...
well thank goodness we have a doctor on hand who knows everything
Old 12-21-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
To bad her death will miss all the year end 2009 issues. Since the media prints their year 2009 issue 2 weeks before the year is over. Like no news is supposed to happen cause the media says so.
God forbid people in the media industry should have holidays.
Old 12-21-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Abob is correct about the diabetes points made. I'm a type 1 who got got it really late in life (27, which is very rare but not unheard of happening later in life) so there is an off-hand chance she could get it at 32. And if you have a kid with any serious medical condition like type 1 where you have to give a kid insulin injections several times a day, test their blood twice that and know that at any given time your kid can die from a smuggled candy bar... you learn about that disease. Heck, even the facts mentioned about the disease are the common sense stuff nurses, emts and med students know. Wikipedia or WebMD (like first paragraph type stuff) would have confirmed everything said as being fact. Perhaps "bd" should do a bit of 3rd grade research before calling BS on someone.
Old 12-21-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't savvy to her recent decline, so I'll always remember her as a hot goofy chick. I liked her.
Old 12-21-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonTHX
I developed a crush on her from "Sidewalks Of New York." She made the stupidest movie watchable. Her career lasted only 14 years. I thought she was a talented actress.

I Will watch "Girl Interrupted" tonight.
She acted more than 14 years. She was on Drexell's Class and the Torklesons reboot, Almost Home.

Have to find my copies of the show, will watch a few tomorrow night.

RIP Brittany.
Old 12-21-09, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I've enjoyed Brittany's work over the years, and have several of her movies in my collection. One of the first things I saw her in was a small but memorable part in Freeway, with Reese Witherspoon. Brittany played a girl in a detention center who was messed up from huffing paint.

RIP Brittany.
Old 12-21-09, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I wasn't savvy to her recent decline, so I'll always remember her as a hot goofy chick. I liked her.
Ditto. I'm not sure I saw her in anything since Sin City or The Dead Girl, but she always had a very likable quality to her.
Old 12-21-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It's being reported that there was a ton of prescription bottles found all over the house, and how she had been vomiting for hours before she died, and when found in the bathroom in the shower, there was a SIGNIFICANT amount of vomit everywhere.

Ugh, what a mess - and what a way to go and be found...

I wonder who the unlucky soul was that got to clean that all up...
Old 12-21-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
God forbid people in the media industry should have holidays.
You probably don't realize that the media don't celebrate the holidays. Or if they do, it's some weird liberal pagan holidays.

Also... George Clooney.
Old 12-21-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Abob is correct about the diabetes points made. I'm a type 1 who got got it really late in life (27, which is very rare but not unheard of happening later in life) so there is an off-hand chance she could get it at 32. And if you have a kid with any serious medical condition like type 1 where you have to give a kid insulin injections several times a day, test their blood twice that and know that at any given time your kid can die from a smuggled candy bar... you learn about that disease. Heck, even the facts mentioned about the disease are the common sense stuff nurses, emts and med students know. Wikipedia or WebMD (like first paragraph type stuff) would have confirmed everything said as being fact. Perhaps "bd" should do a bit of 3rd grade research before calling BS on someone.
Since you both have "abob" in your screen names, I am going to consider this a conspiracy.
Old 12-21-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Geez why would anyone care which dead people are in year end magazine issues? You really need to step away from your Entertainment Weekly magazines.

Last edited by cungar; 12-21-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

LOS ANGELES – The unexpected death of 32-year-old Brittany Murphy, who gained fame in such movies as "8 Mile" and "Just Married," appeared to be from natural causes but police are investigating, officials said.

Murphy died about 10 a.m. Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, according to the hospital.

She was transported to the medical center after the Fire Department responded to a call at 8 a.m. at the home she shared with her husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, in the Hollywood Hills.

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said Murphy apparently collapsed in the bathroom, and authorities were looking into her medical history.

An official cause of death may not be determined for some time, since toxicology tests will be required, but "it appears to be natural," Winter said. He said an autopsy was planned for Monday or Tuesday.
Old 12-21-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She was awesome in Clueless. RIP. "Who's El-in?"
Old 12-21-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad news. I really enjoyed her movies from the '90's and early 2000's.
Old 12-21-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RIP Brittany Murphy
Old 12-21-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I still remember her as the girl from "Almost Home".

R.I.P.
Old 12-21-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Some of you should actually try watching Ramen Girl, which is one of the her more recent films. It had alot of the charm and humor from her earlier work. I watched it streaming on Netflix.
Old 12-21-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
All this talk about wasting her life and no one mentions the whole "natural causes" angle the L.A. Coroner revealed.

Typical.
The truth is a 32 year old in Hollywood has a greater chance of dying from drugs or other vices such as John Belushi or Chris Farley than from "natural causes" ie. John Ritter
Old 12-21-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are some pics of the happy couple checking bags into AA at LAX:

Frankly, I'm surprised that it wasn't "Mr. Murphy" that went into cardiac arrest.

Here's a link to more of the set: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/dqYZj...rittany+Murphy

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-21-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That's gross.

He really should've taken better care of her.
Old 12-21-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow the hell did that fat, ugly, disgusting man ever get married?!?
Old 12-21-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Here are some pics of the happy couple checking bags into AA at LAX:

Frankly, I'm surprised that it wasn't "Mr. Murphy" that went into cardiac arrest.
The first pic is frightening how he made jeans look like tights. And i bet that dog died during that embrace.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.