Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper, 2009) — w/Jeff Bridges, Farell, Gyllenhaal & Robert Duvall

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper, 2009) — w/Jeff Bridges, Farell, Gyllenhaal & Robert Duvall

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMDB | HD Trailer | December 2009

Four-time Academy Award® nominee JEFF BRIDGES stars as the richly comic, semi-tragic romantic anti-hero Bad Blake in the debut feature film CRAZY HEART from writer-director Scott Cooper. Bad Blake is a broken-down, hard-living country music singer who’s had way too many marriages, far too many years on the road and one too many drinks way too many times. And yet, Bad can’t help but reach for salvation with the help of Jean (Golden Globe® Nominee MAGGIE GYLLENHAAL), a journalist who discovers the real man behind the musician. As he struggles down the road of redemption, Bad learns the hard way just how tough life can be on one man’s crazy heart.

<hr>

It's The Wrestler with guitars! (I kid, this looks decent).
Old 11-17-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper, 2009) — w/Jeff Bridges, Farell, Gyllenhaal & Robert Du

Originally Posted by The Bus
Quoted for truth. Looks like it was designed from the ground-up to pander for Oscars, is what it looks like.
Old 12-21-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper, 2009) — w/Jeff Bridges, Farell, Gyllenhaal & Robert Du

It's too soon for another film like this after WALK THE LINE and WALK HARD....
Old 12-21-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I probably won't see it in theaters but I think it looks good.
Old 12-21-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Actually...

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert's Ten Best of 2009 List
Crazy Heart. This year's late-opening sleeper, built on a probable Oscar-winning performance by Jeff Bridges. He plays a nearly-forgotten C&W singer, touring nasty dives and smoky honky-tonks for a few dollars and change. He had hit songs, but alcoholism eroded him. Maggie Gyllenhaal is inspired as the woman who cares for him but doubts his newfound sobriety--and no, this isn't a cornball story about romantic redemption. After the screening a critic said: "This year's "The Wrestler." That sounded about right. Astonishing debut by Scott Cooper.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. When Bridges is hitting on all cylinders he does fantastic work.
Old 12-21-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I know it's a longshot, but let me be the first to say that I hope Jeff Bridges takes home the Oscar next year. He's one of the most criminally underappreciated actors ever. Hopefully this post brings him the karma he needs to win the well deserved award.
Old 12-21-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw a preview for this and I thought it looked real good. Jeff Bridges is one of the most under appreciated actors in Hollywoodland. The Dude abides.
Old 12-23-09, 09:23 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this one. I hope my area gets it before February or something.

I also would like to Jeff Bridges get the Oscar. The soundtrack is tremendous.
Old 12-23-09, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, 4 times he's been nominated...I think he's an actor that everyone respects and that his roles are so memorable that an award means nothing but...I think it's time for this guy to something.
Old 01-15-10, 10:23 AM
Banned

anyone see this? reviews? Was thinking of catching it today at a small place in scottsdale
Old 01-24-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Very similar to The Wrestler. Jeff Bridges nails it, but the film is a bit underwhelming. Maggie Gyllenhaal is miscast in a critical role.

It's been a weak year for actors, Bridges will most likely win best actor. Deservingly but mainly due to lack of competition and as a career achievement. Nothing wrong with that, guy has been legit going all the way back to Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.
Old 01-24-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it yesterday. It's decent but not spectacular. The Wrestler comparisons are appropriate. The music is good. Performances, especially Jeff Bridges and Robert Duvall, are excellent. But yeah, as Finisher said, it's underwhelming. The story beats are predictable and there weren't any moments that were truly exhilarating. Maybe worth seeing once, but not the kind of thing I would revisit.
Old 01-24-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, he won at SAG.
Old 01-24-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He also won the Golden Globe for this.
Old 02-07-10, 02:48 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Anyone else see this, and how was it?

My God, they are taking their sweet-ass time giving this a nationwide release.

It's nominated for Oscars, bump up the theater count.
Old 02-07-10, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

True, Jeff Bridges delivers a terrific performance as Bad Blake, aging country singer/songwriter who drinks and smokes too much, just trying to get by with lowly gigs across the southwest, but the film is probably too safe, too small, to get really invested into the film. Maggie Gyllenhaal is also good as the music reporter who becomes something more to Bad, but it's a twisty relationship that feels too much like flirting with fantasy, than anything grounded in reality.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B- (but see it for Jeff Bridges if you're at all interested, as he will most likely take home the 2009 Oscar for Best Actor).

Last edited by Patman; 02-07-10 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. Great acting performances and some very fine music. However, storywise it's very been there, done that. I have to say

Spoiler:
the 16 months later cut at the end seemed entirely tacked on. Having the movie end with him singing on the porch would have been much more appropriate. The one they went with just seemed too Disney.
Old 02-20-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched it.

Bridges is fantastic, I hope he takes the Oscar home.

Farrell is good as usual, so is Maggie. Duvall could lay dead off camera and be terrific.

I really enjoyed it, some of the plot points were predictable as has been mentioned. But they had heart... they weren't handled in a trite fashion I thought, even if you could see some stuff coming.

New Mexico looks great on film as always, I love this state. Lots of familiar places around ABQ like the aquarium and etc.
Old 02-21-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this movie and yes I agree it was predictable. But when the leads are great actors it doesn't matter. The music was fantastic too.
Old 02-21-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fine film. I hope Robert Duvall has one more lead performance in him - every scene he was in, I couldn't take my eyes off him.
Old 02-21-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Decent film and great performance (as usual) by Jeff Bridges.

Other than it being predictable, the biggest problem I had was with Maggie's character. It was underwritten and I didn't believe how she could fall for Bad Blake - especially so quickly after meeting him. I don't buy her history of choosing the wrong guy as a reason for this relationship. It would be more believable to me if her character was at least 10 years older and had more in common with Bad.
Old 02-21-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it, then went to see it again a few days later. Loved it. The music is great, Bridges is fantastic, and the supporting cast is wonderful. A lot of the pieces have been done before, but I like the way it was assembled. Definitely one of my top 5 of the year. I'm still suprised that they did their own singing, and did it well (not chart-topper well, but very believable and a hell of a lot better than dubbing in someone else's voice).

Bridges deserves the Oscar. A fantastic performance.
Old 03-05-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

finally caught it this past week and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges disappears into the role, I didn't even think of him during the second half. The supporting cast all do a good job, but this is JB's film.

One last thing, did anybody else get goosebumps when Jeff Bridges was in the bowling alley at the beginning? The Dude feels home.
Old 03-05-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
finally caught it this past week and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges disappears into the role, I didn't even think of him during the second half. The supporting cast all do a good job, but this is JB's film.

One last thing, did anybody else get goosebumps when Jeff Bridges was in the bowling alley at the beginning? The Dude feels home.

^ I was expecting Sam Elliot to show up at the bar next to him.
Old 03-05-10, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it yesterday...I had a lot of fun seeing JB be Blake and do his singing. I was beaming w/ joy seeing Bridges play the guitar and sing. The film wasn't amazing but very enjoyable. As said this is JB film and damn is it fun to see a JB film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.