Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are movies like Twilight hurting the Vampire image?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are movies like Twilight hurting the Vampire image?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: Are movies like Twilight hurting the Vampire image?

Thank God for "30 Days Of Night".
Only recent movie I can think of with bad ass vampires.
Old 11-15-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Since seeing "Dracula 2000", I've wondered if vampires could or could not be caught on a video camera. The mirror thing has (to the best of my knowledge) remained constant, but I've never seen the camera thing before.
Vampires cast no reflection in mirrors made with silver. Likewise they won't show up on film that contains silver-nitrate or cameras that use mirrors between the lens and film. (With a DSLR they should appear in the picture, but not the view-finder.)

Geez, what do they teach you kids these days?
Old 11-15-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
By taking away the christian element you take away that the vampire is part of evil,hell,the devil.
But now we have vampires as superheros, teen idols, etc.,
Actually, Twilight is thinly veiled Mormon propaganda.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that "Twilight" is nothing more than an attempt at getting an army of dumb, horny girls to sweep Mitt Romney into the White House in 2012.

Ooh... he's so sparkly!

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-15-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Geez, what do they teach you kids these days?
The class about vampires was an elective, I chose Electrical instead.
Old 11-15-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Today's modern vampire is not scary becasue of Consirvatives.
Right wingers like O"REILLY and Hannity and Elizabet Hasselbock of THE VIEW.
Are afraid of the truth and won't allow it.
Hollywood and the gays want to present the true nature of bible vampires and man-things but can't.
cubs.
Hollywood is doing all kinds of vampire movies from changing how they appeared from the start to what we have now.
So what is this that they can't?
The only thing that is big they took out. And that was the Christian part.
That should be plenty to have Hollywood happy.
And they can't have Muslims as the vampire killers and heros because their stance on gays. Try again.
*attaches jumper cables to wm lopez's Subtlety Detector* CLEAR!!!

Props for spelling Muslim and Christian right.
Old 11-16-09, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gunde
Thank God for "30 Days Of Night".
Only recent movie I can think of with bad ass vampires.
Anybody can be bad ass if they can't be killed like they have in other movies.
Old 11-16-09, 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Actually, Twilight is thinly veiled Mormon propaganda.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that "Twilight" is nothing more than an attempt at getting an army of dumb, horny girls to sweep Mitt Romney into the White House in 2012.

Ooh... he's so sparkly!
If it didn't work for Edwards why Romney.
Old 11-16-09, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
*attaches jumper cables to wm lopez's Subtlety Detector* CLEAR!!!

Props for spelling Muslim and Christian right.
I see a light. It's Jesus!
Forgive DVDTALKERS for they know not what they say.
Old 11-16-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

A Real vampire would never serve salad as the main course for dinner when you bring your human girlfriend over to meet the family.
Old 11-17-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any "laws" that tell vampires should be like this or that?

If yes then yes it hurts the image of vampires. But if there's none, then Twilight is way cooler than any other traditional vampire movies.
Old 11-17-09, 03:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by newginafets

If yes then yes it hurts the image of vampires. But if there's none, then Twilight is way cooler than any other traditional vampire movies.
There's no law, but beginning in the DRACULA (1932) and HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) and so on they do mention what they can do and how to kill them.
Old 11-17-09, 04:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by newginafets

According to wikipedia:

Vampires are mythological or folkloric beings who subsist by feeding on the life essence (generally in the form of blood) of living creatures regardless of them being undead or a living person.[1][2][3][4][5][6] In folkloric tales, vampires often visited loved ones and caused mischief or deaths in the neighbourhoods they inhabited when they were alive. They wore shrouds and were often described as bloated and of ruddy or dark countenance. This is markedly different from modern fictional portrayals of gaunt, pale vampires beginning in the early 19th century. Although vampiric entities have been recorded in many cultures and according to speculation by literary historian Brian Frost that the "belief in vampires and bloodsucking demons is as old as man himself," and may go back to "prehistoric times,"[7], the term vampire was not popularized until the early 18th century, after an influx of vampire superstition into Western Europe from areas where vampire legends were frequent, such as the Balkans and Eastern Europe,[8] although local variants were also known by different names, such as vampir (вампир) in Serbia and Bulgaria, vrykolakas in Greece and strigoi in Romania. This increased level of vampire superstition in Europe led to mass hysteria and in some cases resulted in corpses actually being staked and people being accused of vampirism.

The charismatic and sophisticated vampire of modern fiction was born in 1819 with the publication of The Vampyre by John Polidori. The story was highly successful and arguably the most influential vampire work of the early 19th century.[9] However, it is Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula that is remembered as the quintessential vampire novel and which provided the basis of modern vampire fiction. Dracula drew on earlier mythologies of werewolves and similar imaginary demons and "was to voice the anxieties of an age," and the "fears of late Victorian patriarchy."[10]
So, apparently, every single vampire film is ruining the image of the vampire, as the original conception of them was bloated and ruddy.

I would say that the Twilight stories appear to be in line with the Byronic vampires of the 18th and 19th centuries, but I don't give Stephanie Meyers credit for actually knowing about that. Her vampires are clearly a separate creation. I can't entirely blame her for creating "vampire chic," as it were, because Anne Rice's vampires aren't terribly far off (except in the ways they can die). But Meyers' insistence on this uber-dramatic star crossed human/vampire love is what kills it for me. It's melodrama of the worst sort and the fact that they're vampires is only ancillary.
Old 11-17-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There's no law, but beginning in the DRACULA (1932) and HORROR OF DRACULA (1958) and so on they do mention what they can do and how to kill them.
Vampires have been around a little longer than that.
Old 11-17-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Speaking of pussy, where is that Twilight strip that was posted in Otter? That thing kills me and I didn't save it. It also sums up modern vampires quite nicely.
Still no help on this?
Old 11-18-09, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
But Meyers' insistence on this uber-dramatic star crossed human/vampire love is what kills it for me. It's melodrama of the worst sort and the fact that they're vampires is only ancillary.
It falls under the "Generic Romeo and Juliet fill in the blank template"

A girl named _____ falls in love with a boy named ______. She is a ______ and he is a ______. Their love blooms despite the fact that her being a ______ and him being a _____ is not condoned.

Dinosaurs, cyborgs, aliens, talking cars....use any of those in there and the movie pretty much writes itself.

I honestly avoid "Romeo and Juliet" stories anymore because the premise is overused and tired.
Old 11-18-09, 03:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're right, that's the basis for it. But Meyers takes it far beyond most Romeo and Juliet stories. The books promote a one-sided sort of devotion from the women to the men that, if written by a man, would be considered misogynistic in the extreme.
Old 11-18-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I like Vampire Diaries. There, I said it.
Old 11-18-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You're right, that's the basis for it. But Meyers takes it far beyond most Romeo and Juliet stories. The books promote a one-sided sort of devotion from the women to the men that, if written by a man, would be considered misogynistic in the extreme.
Other than the "Romeo & Juliet" aspect (which seems to find its way into far too many stories), I don't really feel the need to comment about the books/movies.

a. I've not read them
b. I don't have a crush on Kristen Stewart or the dude from the movie who everyone thinks in "dreamy".

All I guess I really have room to say is that the "twilight" movies have done nothing more than make vampires appealing to young kids/teens again. Kinda like how "Pirates of Caribbean" made pirates "cool" again.