Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon wants to 'buy' the Terminator franchise...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon wants to 'buy' the Terminator franchise...

Old 02-15-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: Joss Whedon wants to 'buy' the Terminator franchise...

Can't defend that line. But, the man gave me Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. I loved all three shows. I tolerated Dollhouse. It was too uneven, but there was something there. I wasn't really a fan of Dr. Horrible. Buffy movie, well nothing to say about that. My love for the three shows though trumps anything else, and he has earned my trust to at least give anything he makes a shot.

I have the same respect for Tarantino, Charlie Kaufman, and others as well. If that makes me a "fanboy" because even if all their products aren't all fantastic I will still give them a chance then so be it.

Fanboys can be annoying, but I think some people are too quick to bash (and defend) Whedon because some of his shows don't target the demographic here apparently.
Old 02-15-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Can't defend that line. But, the man gave me Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. I loved all three shows. I tolerated Dollhouse. It was too uneven, but there was something there. I wasn't really a fan of Dr. Horrible. Buffy movie, well nothing to say about that. My love for the three shows though trumps anything else, and he has earned my trust to at least give anything he makes a shot.

I have the same respect for Tarantino, Charlie Kaufman, and others as well. If that makes me a "fanboy" because even if all their products aren't all fantastic I will still give them a chance then so be it.

Fanboys can be annoying, but I think some people are too quick to bash (and defend) Whedon because some of his shows don't target the demographic here apparently.
I'll be honest: tweaking hardcore Whedonites is a guilty pleasure of mine. I just don't see the appeal of most of the guy's work. I kinda dug Dollhouse, liked Firefly, but could not get into Buffy/Angel no matter how hard I've tried. And I've tried. My wife is a bigtime Whedon fan, and made me watch too many episodes with her. Meh. The so-called "hip, funny, clever" dialog felt forced, trite, and lame to me.

As mentioned before, I did like Firefly and (to a lesser extent) Dollhouse more for the plots and milieu over the characters and oh-so-precious dialog. To any audience, there's nothing more annoying than any piece of fiction that is oh so in love with itself.

But these overbearing Whedonites... the ones who scream that Nathan Fillion should be given EVERY role that gets a hint publicity, like Jimi Hendrix or Harriet Beecher Stowe... they should be shown firsthand how an anchor works.
Old 02-15-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts

Well, I guess I don't run in those circles, because I haven't met these Whedonites so I haven't been annoyed by them. Either you like the guy's style or you don't. Personally, I usually do, so I'm going to watch his stuff.
Old 02-15-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't particularly hate Joss Whedon, but I do see that his writing and humor style are one of the bigger overall problems with "Alien Resurrection".

I think his style is better used in "Firefly", where a totally serious tone hasn't been previously established.