Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robin Williams: Yay or Nay?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've finally reached a point where I feel okay admitting I just don't care for Robin Williams. For years, as every disappointing flick of his that came and went, I dismissed it thinking there had to have been great films from once upon a time in which he'd built up this stock of entertainment karma. Then I started running down the list and realized: I never liked anything the guy has done. Just thought I'd share my epiphany with the only online community I know that might actually have some interest in discussing/sharing.
Old 11-28-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Robin Williams: Yay or Nay?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I've finally reached a point where I feel okay admitting I just don't care for Robin Williams. For years, as every disappointing flick of his that came and went, I dismissed it thinking there had to have been great films from once upon a time in which he'd built up this stock of entertainment karma. Then I started running down the list and realized: I never liked anything the guy has done. Just thought I'd share my epiphany with the only online community I know that might actually have some interest in discussing/sharing.
Only NOW? Seriously? The abominable Patch Adams was 11 years ago. Flubber, 12. Jack, 13... And lest we forget that Good Morning Auschwitz movie he did?

OK but seriously, there have been some good movies in the mix over the past 15 years or so. INSOMNIA was fantastic. GOOD WILL HUNTING was good but wildly overrated, but Williams was great in it. I'm probably one of the three people who actually liked WHAT DREAMS MAY COME. DEATH TO SMOOCHY was HI-larious. ONE HOUR PHOTO was pretty decent too.
Old 11-28-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Only NOW? Seriously? The abominable Patch Adams was 11 years ago. Flubber, 12. Jack, 13... And lest we forget that Good Morning Auschwitz movie he did?

OK but seriously, there have been some good movies in the mix over the past 15 years or so. INSOMNIA was fantastic. GOOD WILL HUNTING was good but wildly overrated, but Williams was great in it. I'm probably one of the three people who actually liked WHAT DREAMS MAY COME. DEATH TO SMOOCHY was HI-larious. ONE HOUR PHOTO was pretty decent too.
Well, the thing is that I kept making excuses for those films, choosing to believe that he had once been a great entertainer (he had to be, right?) and that another great performance was just around the bend. My epiphany isn't that there has been a lot of disappointments in his filmography; it's that the idea that there are a lot of gems in the list is a myth.
Old 11-28-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked his performance in 'Awakenings' best, 'Insomnia' is second.

Overall he sucks, I never liked his stand up either. His corny 'here goes that crazy Robin' routine on any TV show or interview he's on is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. It smacks so strongly of effort and manufacture that Bobcat Goldthwait seems a complicated genius by comparison.

'Death to Smoochy' is a classic too.
Old 11-28-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

My most hated actor. I don't own a single movie of his and likely never will.
Old 11-28-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Well, the thing is that I kept making excuses for those films, choosing to believe that he had once been a great entertainer (he had to be, right?) and that another great performance was just around the bend. My epiphany isn't that there has been a lot of disappointments in his filmography; it's that the idea that there are a lot of gems in the list is a myth.
There are some good movies in there, plus he's done some strong dramatic work. His 80s movies like THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP and MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON, while both far from great movies, show some serious acting chops. He did a lot of shit movies then too, but GOOD MORNING VIETNAM was probably his best role, insomuch that he played both himself and showed dramatic range. Heck, even Robert Altman's POPEYE was some seriously impressive avant garde pop-filmmaking. Again, most people hated it. Shame.

And DEAD POETS SOCIETY still is fantastic, even if it is cliched as heck. THE FISHER KING is a classic. Williams has done some great work, but WOW is there a lot of crap too.
Old 11-28-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Williams is a good dramatic actor when he has a director who's willing to smack him down when he gets smarmy or schticky. Unfortunately, that only happens once or twice per decade.

His comedic films are just dire.
Old 11-28-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also not a big fan of his work. He comes across like he's trying WAAYYYY too hard to be funny, which makes him not funny. Ever seen him on Leno or Letterman? Embarassingly bad.

Having said that, I enjoyed him in both Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
Old 11-28-09, 12:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
...His corny 'here goes that crazy Robin' routine on any TV show or interview he's on is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me....
I agree with you on that one my friend. In fact I hate it when any comedian or chef feels the need to go on a talk show and do their shtick. Just sit down and tell something about your life. Do not go "ape shit" (aka pull a Robin Williams, or a Jim Carrey) or try and show the audience how to cook something that is getting f*cked up by the host and guests!

As for Robin Williams, I only seem to like him when he does dramatic roles. In Good Morning Vietnam when he is doing his bits and there are shots of the soldiers laughing their asses off, I look around and say "why are they laughing?"
Old 11-28-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a big fan of his comedic work, but he's been great in several dramas.
Old 11-28-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't recall a time when he was funny. Was there a time pre-Mrs. Doubtfire when he was considered funny? I think he's just one of those actors from that era that wasn't funny (See Steve Martin and Martin Short)
Old 11-28-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think he's just one of those actors from that era that wasn't funny (See Steve Martin and Martin Short)
You are DEAD to me.

(Agreed about Martin Short, though... He and Tracey Ullman are like anus...)
Old 11-28-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Blasphemy, Steve Martin is great. Martin Short, not so much. As for Williams pre-Doubtfire ever hear of Aladdin? Mork & Mindy?

When kept in check I enjoy him. When he's allowed to just go nuts the shtick gets old.
Old 11-28-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I like Robin Williams foir the most part. It might be because I was the perfect age for his kid's films in the mid 90s (Mrs. Doubtfire, Flubber, Jack, Jumanji etc). I really like Insomnia & One Hour Photo as well. I havent really felt strongly about any of his movies lately, but I rarely feel like I was suckered in to watching them (like I do with say, Will Ferrell).

I find him to be a better stand up comedian. I have his most recent CD (released in 2002) and I think it's great. Thankfully, he has a new HBO special coming up this week.
Old 11-28-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Williams stand up is excruciating to me. Ditto as a guest on any talk show. He doesn't know when to shut the fuck up or calm down. I do like a few of his dramatic films. "Garp", "One Hour Photo", "Insomnia" and "The Night Listener".
Old 11-28-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I like Garp and One Hour Photo is alright, other than that I pretty much can't stand him. I thought he was really funny in the 70s but that was long ago.
Old 11-28-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I like Mrs. Doubtfire and his voice acting in Aladdin, but other than that I have to agree with you OP.
Old 11-28-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never liked Mrs. Doubtfire... what a rotten turd of a movie that was. Schmaltzy Robin Williams meets uber-schmaltzy Chris Columbus to exponentially nauseating results.
Old 11-28-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Fisher King & Good Will Hunting are his best films.
I actually kind of like The Survivors but mostly because of Walter Matthau.
Old 11-28-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nay. I hate his coked out laugh whore nature. So obnoxious to hear him talking nonstop and unable to sit still. I saw him on Conan the other night and I wanted to reach through the screen and choke him. He did earn brownie points though because he said he plays Call of Duty.
Old 11-28-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He was FANTASTIC on Law & Order SVU last year when he guest starred.

Williams is great when he has the right material, IMHO.
Old 11-28-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RobLutter
He was FANTASTIC on Law & Order SVU last year when he guest starred.
Indeed.
Old 11-28-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Williams is great when he has the right material, IMHO.
Agreed. Check out World's Greatest Dad
Old 11-28-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's not funny, but he's a good actor. He did a good job in Insomnia and Good Will Hunting. Other then that I'm not a fan.
Old 11-28-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

In my book Steve Martin and Robin Williams get a pass. it seems obvious they do quite a few family friendly, mindless films, in order to keep a steady income, stay in the general public eye, and finance other projects. Did anyone else know Steve Martin wrote "Traitor?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.