Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where the Wild Things Are-Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Where the Wild Things Are-Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Where the Wild Things Are-Review Thread

I've seen several critics give it stellar reviews.
Old 10-16-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Still haven't seen the movie (at work), but FWIW, I loved Across the Universe.
Old 10-16-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can I not see the movie but maliciously vote "0 stars" anyway to blow scott1598's poll without there being a scott1598 poll? i want refund!
Old 10-16-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naitram
how can I not see the movie but maliciously vote "0 stars" anyway to blow scott1598's poll without there being a scott1598 poll? i want refund!

I saw the movie last night and I really liked it. It is kinda plotless and I'm sure many would find it slow but I was entertained throughout. It was a simple story that is more about the characters emotions than a linear plot. At times it does feel a little too artsy for it's own good and the score is overbearing in many scenes. The performances are great though including the voice acting. The wild things faces are very well animated to give them lots of personality. I thought the film also did a really good job relating Max's behavior in the beginning to the way the Wild Things behaved. It wasn't blatant or overdone but it's a clear parallel that I thought was very well done. Overall a very good film and one I wish to revisit soon.
Old 10-16-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If Jonze was going for seeing the film out of a nine year old's eyes and how he deals with anger, that's great. Maybe he succeeded there, but as an entertaining motion picture that gets the viewer engaged, I would whole heartedly disagree with that.
But this is about so much more than Max's anger. It's how Max deals with his whole world: divorced parents, a sister that has moved on to new friends, his own lack of friends, his wild emotions, his mom dating, etc. All of that is wonderfully portrayed in the personalities and actions of the wild things.

As a child of divorced parents, and divorced with a son myself, I was able to completely connect with this world and the emotional nature of the film. That said, while I really loved it, I can see how many people will not like it one bit. Also, I was with a group and we had kids with us and they did not enjoy many parts of it. This is far too mature and intense for younger kids and it will be lost on them.
Old 10-16-09, 09:58 PM

It's definitely in my top 5 this year. The story is more on characters than the plot (more of an escape from reality with made up friends) I felt like I knew each and every Wild Thing and that was more important rather than care whether he would eventually go home, because it was all imagined.
Old 10-16-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How long is it ?
Old 10-16-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
How long is it ?
Only about an hour and a half, give about ten minutes and such for credits.

Saw it. I loved this movie and thought it had a lot of heart and was quite adorable overall (I know that sounds soft, but that's how I felt). I liked this movie because it was entertaining, thought provoking, and most of all, it didn't try to appeal to the lowest common denominator by going for stuff like scatological humor and fart jokes that are (unfortunately) often found in today's children's movies. The movie required that you actually pay attention, even if there wasn't much plot (but hey, it's a kid's film) because the characters were so involving that you forgot they were muppets. Heck, I even got over the James Gandolfini aspect and never really thought of Tony Soprano like I thought I would. Spike Jonze said it best in an interview where he stated that the problem with so many kids movies nowadays is that the kids are "movie kids" with only movie problems. This one was different in that he definitely was facing adult world issues around him. Anyone who felt the book let him get away with being a brat and he never learned his lesson, the whole point of this movie is how he realizes that fact and comes to deal with it. For the record, while there were few kids in my audience (it was a 9:30 PM showing, best for those who want to avoid the antsy ones), the ones who were there were well behaved and seemed to love the movie. I give it four out of five stars.

I understand that some people might not like this movie, but I find that unfortunate. IMO the only people that wouldn't like something as innocent and escapist as this would be adults who spend the whole week working in cubicles waiting for the next weekend to arrive and are ticked when the movie fails to be a piece pacification for their hyperactive kids that they feel too tired to do anything with during the week after work.
Old 10-17-09, 02:20 AM

Well, I hated ACROSS THE UNIVERSE but I LOVED this film! It's definitely the best film I've seen all year. I rarely go see a film twice in the theater, but I'll be making a 2nd trip to see this one again within the next few days.

I'm surprised to hear people call it slow. I thought the 90 minutes flew by really quickly.
Old 10-17-09, 02:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I adored this movie. I can't believe people are calling it boring. It was so emotionally cathartic and managed to tap into the logic of an 8 or 9 year old with an active imagination without being cloying or cliche. Max's journey was really touching and evocative. Kudos to Jonze for making a movie that exceeded my expectations.
Old 10-17-09, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I haven't seen it, and probably won't unless I happen to catch it on cable, but I'm sort of baffled how anyone can turn picture book that can be read in two minutes and turn it into an hour and a half feature.

Same goes for "The Box," which is based on a very short story that was made into a Twilight Zone (80s) segment.
Old 10-17-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I haven't seen it, and probably won't unless I happen to catch it on cable, but I'm sort of baffled how anyone can turn picture book that can be read in two minutes and turn it into an hour and a half feature.

Same goes for "The Box," which is based on a very short story that was made into a Twilight Zone (80s) segment.
It's called imagination, Josh.
Old 10-17-09, 08:11 AM

Zathura, Jumanji, and Polar Express are all based on Childrens books. Blade Runner and Curious Case of Benjamin Button are based on short stories. The length of the source material doesn't always inform the length of the film.
Old 10-17-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
Zathura, Jumanji, and Polar Express are all based on Childrens books. Blade Runner and Curious Case of Benjamin Button are based on short stories. The length of the source material doesn't always inform the length of the film.

Actually, I think Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a novel.
Old 10-17-09, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep would probably be best described as a novella, but it's definitely longer than a short story. Of course, the movie varies significantly from the book anyway.
Old 10-17-09, 04:01 PM

Does anyone else think that this is going to severly die off in the coming weeks? I loved the movie, but I can't see this sticking around more than 3 weeks...

Based on my experience with WTWTA, every single kid in the theater (about 20) was visably anxious and bored HALFWAY through the movie. I think this is going to have very bad word of mouth from parents of younger kids.
Old 10-17-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gglass4269
Does anyone else think that this is going to severly die off in the coming weeks? I loved the movie, but I can't see this sticking around more than 3 weeks...

Based on my experience with WTWTA, every single kid in the theater (about 20) was visably anxious and bored HALFWAY through the movie. I think this is going to have very bad word of mouth from parents of younger kids.
I agree, unfortunately. I see it sticking around in cinemas in major cities where they have the young/artsy people who might give it repeat business, but if you don't pacify the kids, you aren't getting good word.
Old 10-17-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this movie. I was pretty intrigued while watching it, and felt it had a lot more layers to it than I was expecting. I might have to catch it again before I make up my mind about it.
Old 10-17-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan
Well, I hated ACROSS THE UNIVERSE but I LOVED this film!
That's a good sign because I couldn't even finish "Across The Universe" and I'm a fair Beatles fan and a giant fan of music in movies. I'm sick but once I'm okay I want to watch WTWTA in IMAX.
Old 10-17-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it in IMAX with my seven-year-old boy. Kept my interest, kept his interest. What a beautiful and moving film. Second only to "Up" for me this year.
Old 10-17-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is so much heart in this film (B+) and it moved me to tears at end I love it.

This is one of only five great films that I have seen this year and I want to see again soon!
Old 10-17-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The nicest thing I can say is that the creature effects were very good, but the film had this weird way of making me very sleepy.
Old 10-17-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a good film, nothing amazing though. A lot better than the book though. Labyrinth, Legend, The Neverending Story, Dark Crystal are dark childrens movies for regular kids. Where The Wild Things Are is a dark children's movie for Ritalin, therapy kids.
Old 10-18-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Loved it!
Old 10-18-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If Where The Wild Things Are is as shamelessly self-indulgent, stupid, and cloying as Across The Universe I think I may shoot myself.

Edit: As long as there isn't a sequence where Bono, singing "I Am The Walrus" drives a school bus full of stoners to a field where somebody says "Do you hear something?" only to walk over a hill to find Eddie Izzard butchering "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite," then Where The Wild Things Are automatically has to be better than Across The Universe.
Just gotta say, I love this post! You and me share the same opinion on Across the Universe...

I still haven't seen Where the Wild Things Are yet but I hope to go late tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.