Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers 3 Announced

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers 3 Announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Transformers 3 Announced

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hate to admit it but I do like this idea. Make sure Louis Letterier directs and have Corey Yuen choreograph the fights and we'd have something kickass.

Oh and this'd be the movie where Megan Fox gets her wish of being naked during every single scene she's in. The movie begins with her in the shower when Jason Statham crashes in whilst grappling with a Decepticon. She never gets a chance to put on so much as an inch of covering.
At last, a movie for all red-blooded American males (are there any left?). I am soooooooooo there!!!!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-08-09 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Orci/Kurtzman are out: http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1032287p1.html

So Ehren Kruger gets to write the script alone? I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 10-09-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Kruger is pretty much the epitome of a studio hack writer, this won't be pretty.
Old 10-09-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a movie that's based on a 1980's children's cartoon that was based on a toy line by Hasbro
Old 10-09-09, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't mean it can't be good.
Old 10-09-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Kruger is pretty much the epitome of a studio hack writer, this won't be pretty.
I can see it now.

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Hey, I though we told you guys to leave during the second movie?

OPTIMUS PRIME: We were just about to get to that but we've just received some terrible news!

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Yeah? What news?

OPTIMUS PRIME: Unicron has returned!

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Uh, huh... And who the hell is this "Unicorn".

OPTIMUS PRIME: I have no fucking clue.

Originally Posted by al_bundy
it's a movie that's based on a 1980's children's cartoon that was based on a toy line by Hasbro
And It's A Wonderful Life was based on a postcard (or a greeting card). So what? The source material shouldn't dictate the quality of the finished product.

Like Solid Snake PAC said, it doesn't mean it can't be good.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-09-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's your average summer blockbuster with lots of explosions and a ton of plot holes. the high drama is usually around Christmas

i liked 2 better than 1, but the whole All-Spark deal was crap and a dumb idea. i didn't like it in the theater transformers cartoon either
Old 10-09-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see it now.

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Hey, I though we told you guys to leave during the second movie?

OPTIMUS PRIME: We were just about to get to that but we've just received some terrible news!

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Yeah? What news?

OPTIMUS PRIME: Unicron has returned!

GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG: Uh, huh... And who the hell is this "Unicorn".

OPTIMUS PRIME: I have no fucking clue.

And It's A Wonderful Life was based on a postcard (or a greeting card). So what? The source material shouldn't dictate the quality of the finished product.

Like Solid Snake PAC said, it doesn't mean it can't be good.

You know, given Bay's insistence of using inappropriate humor in a movie that's predominantly aimed at kids, I wouldn't be surprised if he utilized the "one F-bomb allowed in a PG-13" film and let the above happen.
Old 10-09-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know, given Bay's insistence of using inappropriate humor in a movie that's predominantly aimed at kids, I wouldn't be surprised if he utilized the "one F-bomb allowed in a PG-13" film and let the above happen.
my wife has a 16 year old cousin and almost every night i glance over at my wife's laptop to see what her cousin wrote on her Facebook page. MB doesn't have anything on today's teens
Old 10-09-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's my only request:

Can we please have Transformers in our Transformers movie this time? I know Michael Bay has an obsession with the military, but I got very tired of following soldiers and watching F-16s scrambling when I knew damn good and well there were supposed to be Transformers doing things I could have been watching instead.

Spoiler:
I mean, after Optimus went down early in the movie, we never even really get a sense at all of how the Autobots even react! They stand around and agree that he wouldn't want them to leave Earth, and then they just sort of hang around until they get the call--through the all-important military, no less--to go do something.

And I'm tired of three seconds of screen time being counted as "including" or "featuring" a given character. You can tell me that the pink motorcycle was Arcee, but unless she actually does something that isn't in the background, then it's not Arcee. It's a pink motorcycle. I'm not asking for Oscar-caliber character arcs here; but damn, why is it so hard to actually involve Transformers in the Transformers movie?!
Old 10-09-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The rule got changed to just one? I always remembered it being that you were allowed no more than two F-bombs in a PG-13 movie.
Old 10-09-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's your average summer blockbuster with lots of explosions and a ton of plot holes. the high drama is usually around Christmas
I'm not looking for high drama. Just a solid action flick. The first film fit your description much better than the second. The second movie had a few decent action sequences but it was mainly one clusterfuck after another.
Old 10-09-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not looking for high drama. Just a solid action flick. The first film fit your description much better than the second. The second movie had a few decent action sequences but it was mainly one clusterfuck after another.

I agree, especially the big bloated ending. If it weren't for the few scenes of Optimus Prime mopping the floor with everyone, I would have found nothing redeeming about this movie, not even and IMAX Megan Fox.

At least the first one gave the Autobots some screen time on their own to be the focus of the movie, as opposed to background characters.
Old 10-09-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, especially the big bloated ending. If it weren't for the few scenes of Optimus Prime mopping the floor with everyone, I would have found nothing redeeming about this movie, not even and IMAX Megan Fox.

At least the first one gave the Autobots some screen time on their own to be the focus of the movie, as opposed to background characters.
Weird, since I think the first movie didn't give any Transformers enough screen time, and the second movie was far better in that regard.
Old 10-09-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the second movie did was toss in a bunch of random cameos during the opening action sequence and then again during the ending. The Transformers that were used as actual characters in the sequel were mostly relegated to comic relief or hints of exposition. Hell, most of the narrative drive came from Simmons. Jetfire was good for exposition but they put too many senile old man jokes in there as well so it diluted his effectiveness.
Old 10-09-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the second movie did was toss in a bunch of random cameos during the opening action sequence and then again during the ending. The Transformers that were used as actual characters in the sequel were mostly relegated to comic relief or hints of exposition. Hell, most of the narrative drive came from Simmons. Jetfire was good for exposition but they put too many senile old man jokes in there as well so it diluted his effectiveness.
I always loved Jetfire the toy, and I didn't mind that they made him an old man, but doing the senile old man bit complete with unintentional farting (shooting flames out no less) was a bit much.
Old 10-09-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't mind Jetfire being old either. I always liked old cranky Kup in the animated movie and old and wise Alpha Trion in the animated series. I was hoping they'd make Jetfire a combination of the two not some senile old man. And, yes, the flame-fart was a bit much to say the least.
Old 10-09-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the first movie was far more bogged down by the soliders, Sector 7, the hackers, and Sam with only Bumblebee doing anything. The second at least did more with Optimus, The Fallen, and Megatron and my preference is to see more of that in a 3rd movie. It isn't exactly like Jazz and Ironhide did much in the first film.

But rehashing discussions about the second movie can easily be left to the other thread, as it seems like you guys are mostly complaining about the same things as 5 months ago.
Old 10-09-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the second had NEST, government douchebag, pain in the ass roommate, Sam's mom getting high, Simmons the butcher and his blindness-inducing thong, and hot Pretender chick that seems to think killing Sam is the same thing as capturing him.

And Jazz and Ironhide did plenty when they, alongside Ratchet, took on Devastator (I forgot was his real toy name was). They just didn't score any kills. And Ironhide and Ratchet did less in the sequel since they were relegated to the background.

I just want a better movie next time around. The first one was far from perfect but could have easily been improved upon. The sequel instead made things worse. And now I'm worried because the two writers with any talent are out and it seems Megahack gets sole scripting duties this time around. That doesn't bode well for the quality of the third film.
Old 10-09-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And despite all those things, I still felt there was more interaction with the Transfomers themselves. A few got pushed to the background, but I'm hoping the third movie continues to focus on them rather then the humans.
Old 10-09-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the second had NEST, government douchebag, pain in the ass roommate, Sam's mom getting high, Simmons the butcher and his blindness-inducing thong, and hot Pretender chick that seems to think killing Sam is the same thing as capturing him.

And Jazz and Ironhide did plenty when they, alongside Ratchet, took on Devastator (I forgot was his real toy name was). They just didn't score any kills. And Ironhide and Ratchet did less in the sequel since they were relegated to the background.

I just want a better movie next time around. The first one was far from perfect but could have easily been improved upon. The sequel instead made things worse. And now I'm worried because the two writers with any talent are out and it seems Megahack gets sole scripting duties this time around. That doesn't bode well for the quality of the third film.
most good films focus on a single character or very few characters. it's very hard to make a movie where a lot of characters are fighting for screentime.
Old 10-09-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just hoping for a good plot and lack of crap to go with the action sequences.

Take the first movie, remove the hackers/analysts altogether (all they did was repeat information we already knew), cut down the sequence in the house to the barest essentials (Sam gets glasses, Simmons shows up and captures Bumblebee, abd the Autobots get the glasses), excluding the excess of comedy during that sequence, have the Decepticons invade the dam and allow the film to progress like normal. Well, the only other thing I'd change is having Sam defeat Megatron. Prime should have delivered the finishing blow.

That's all you needed to do in order to fix the first movie. The second bloated everything that was wrong in the first. Sure, we got two scenes of the Decepticons chatting it up on Saturn (or wherever). Big deal. We also got two scenes of the Autobots chatting it up during the first movie (plus a brief scene of Megatron bitching at Starscream). Where was the major improvement?

most good films focus on a single character or very few characters. it's very hard to make a movie where a lot of characters are fighting for screentime.
I agree. They had a nice core group on both sides in the first movie as far as Autobots and Decepticons. Now that the setup was over, all the sequel needed to be was basically a bunch of sequences like the Shanghai battle. Autobots and Decepticons kicking ass front and center while the human soldiers do their thing in the background.

Instead we got a bloated series of contrivances to get most of the humans back together again and have the Transformers serve as set dressing.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-09-09 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm just hoping for a good plot and lack of crap to go with the action sequences.

Take the first movie, remove the hackers/analysts altogether (all they did was repeat information we already knew), cut down the sequence in the house to the barest essentials (Sam gets glasses, Simmons shows up and captures Bumblebee, abd the Autobots get the glasses), excluding the excess of comedy during that sequence, have the Decepticons invade the dam and allow the film to progress like normal. Well, the only other thing I'd change is having Sam defeat Megatron. Prime should have delivered the finishing blow.

That's all you needed to do in order to fix the first movie. The second bloated everything that was wrong in the first. Sure, we got two scenes of the Decepticons chatting it up on Saturn (or wherever). Big deal. We also got two scenes of the Autobots chatting it up during the first movie (plus a brief scene of Megatron bitching at Starscream). Where was the major improvement?
Yeah, but those are pretty big changes to the current movie. Personally, If you go that route on how to "fix" the first movie, I would say the 2nd could be done the same way. I imagine there would have been far less complaints if they removed Sam's roommate, Mudflaps and Skids, and tightened up the exposition from some of the characters.

Honestly for the 3rd film I think it would be cool if they moved on from Sam and introduced Spike or Chip, and then ignored any other humans

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-10-09 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-10-09, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhm...I thought Sam was Spike?
Old 10-10-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, but those are pretty big changes to the current movie. Personally, If you go that route on how to "fix" the first movie, I would say the 2nd could be done the same way. I imagine there would have been far less complaints if they removed Sam's roommate, Mudflaps and Skids, and tightened up the exposition from some of the characters.
Which is my point. The second repeated (and in many ways increased) the mistakes of the first. All they had to do was look at what was wrong with the first and exclude those things while increasing what was good. Instead they said "more of everything!"

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Honestly for the 3rd film I think it would be cool if they moved on from Sam and introduced Spike or Chip, and then ignored any other humans
Sam is supposed to be Spike. And Ronald is supposed to be Sparkplug. Hence the last name Witwicky.

Chip would be hilarious if they have him download Prime's entire mind onto a 5" floppy disk like in the cartoon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.