Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
12.77%
24.11%
40.43%
12.06%
7.09%
1.42%
0.71%
0%
0.71%
0%
0.71%
I won’t nut up or shut up and see this Zombie Movie of the Week!
0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

+1 on Bjacks synopsis.

This came off like a fairly pedestrian road trip movie with a few zombies thrown in. I think the movie would have been better if Eisenberg's character never met Woodie Harrelson.
Old 02-07-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got this as a Blu-ray rental yesterday so I finally got to see what all the hype was about. Very entertaining movie. Enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Emma Stone is becoming one hot little piece. I hate when I see girls like that and find out they are my kids' age, it makes me feel old.
Old 02-07-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I gave it 3.5. FInnaly saw it via Netflix. I'm glad I rented vs. blind buying. It wasn't bad but not as good as I expected given the reviews. Just felt like it was trying too hard.
Old 02-07-10, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Got this as a Blu-ray rental yesterday so I finally got to see what all the hype was about. Very entertaining movie. Enjoyed it a lot for what it was. Emma Stone is becoming one hot little piece. I hate when I see girls like that and find out they are my kids' age, it makes me feel old.
......well that's kind of odd to bring up, good thing I'm only 23 and don't have to feel like that.
Old 02-07-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
......well that's kind of odd to bring up, good thing I'm only 23 and don't have to feel like that.
Give it 20 years and then we'll talk.
Old 02-07-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The cameo made me cry and cough and laugh like an idiot at the theater.

Shaun of the Dead dominated this zombie-comedy thing. Regardless of it's entertainment value, Zombieland came around and didn't necessairly have anything too unique.

Loads of fun, and I'll buy the DVD and enjoy it. But it just felt like it was running behind Shaun. It's almost like "Shaun" was happening in the UK, and at the same time, "Zombieland" was happening in the US.
Old 02-07-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
The cameo made me cry and cough and laugh like an idiot at the theater.

Shaun of the Dead dominated this zombie-comedy thing. Regardless of it's entertainment value, Zombieland came around and didn't necessairly have anything too unique.

Loads of fun, and I'll buy the DVD and enjoy it. But it just felt like it was running behind Shaun. It's almost like "Shaun" was happening in the UK, and at the same time, "Zombieland" was happening in the US.
That makes me think of a great cameo they could use in the sequel.
Old 02-07-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
It's almost like "Shaun" was happening in the UK, and at the same time, "Zombieland" was happening in the US.
Not possible. Zombies did not run in Shaun's world.

Last edited by dino88; 02-07-10 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:16 AM
Banned

Also Zombieland is w/ Sony. Shaun is w/ Universal.
Old 02-08-10, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Also Zombieland is w/ Sony. Shaun is w/ Universal.
This is true, but not particularly relevant. If the filmmakers wanted to imply a connection or even include a common character, it's not a copyright issue. A good example is that in Out of Sight, Michael Keaton has an appearance as his character from Jackie Brown, since the two movies are based on books by the same author, even though the former is Universal and the latter is Miramax.
Old 02-08-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having watched the extras on the dvd, I'm thinking the fact that the script was originally intended as a tv pilot may explain the lack of zombie action throughout the middle of the film.

I don't know. given the films shoot'em up style, I'm thinking a Hot Fuzz crossover would be a better fit.
Old 02-08-10, 02:49 PM
Banned

You're correct.

Wikipedia:
Writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick stated that idea for Zombieland had "lived in [their] heads" for four-and-a-half years. The story was originally developed in 2005 as a spec script for television pilot in the summer of 2005. Wernick stated "We've got a long brainstorming document that still to this day gets updated on a near-weekly basis with ideas". Director Ruben Fleischer helped develop the script from a series into a self contained feature by providing a specific destination to the road story, the amusement park.
Old 02-09-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

It was decent. Got a good deserted vibe from it but thought it lost a lot of steam once they hit the amusement park.

The cameo was ok, nothing that made me laugh like crazy though.

I'd give it a solid 3 stars. Harrelson was the best part of the flick. Nothing I'd watch twice - pretty sick and tired of zombies now as well.

What really had me interested was seeing Ruben Fleischer as the director - I've been following his online videos forever then fell out - was really cool to see him make a movie.
Old 02-11-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this. Zombieland was a terrific premise (to include the basic idea of the main characters) in search of a script to match. It certainly had its moments and the inclusion of the main character's rules as physical elements in the shots was a very clever idea (and good for a lot of chuckles later in the film) but overall the movie should have been so much better than it was. I also have to agree with the earlier assertion that Breslin just sort of "was" in the movie. Her character only seems to exist to be the second, younger girl and to provide a brief, hamfisted "parental" moment with Harrellson's character.

Overall, this was a very good opportunity wasted. A better script, perhaps with a darker edge and slightly more grounded in realism with the same characters could have been tremendous.

Last edited by jfoobar; 02-11-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it yesterday and it was awful. I thought the trailers didn't even look very good but they made the movie look way more interesting than it actually was. I think every zombie kill was in the trailer. Jesse Eisinberg needs to not make another movie for a while or get surgery on his vocal chords to make his voice less annoying.
Old 02-11-10, 02:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Overall, this was a very good opportunity wasted. A better script, perhaps with a darker edge and slightly more grounded in realism with the same characters could have been tremendous.
I might have already said it, but this is similar to my thoughts.

An average to good movie, but had the potential to be great, so it makes it very disappointing the more I reflect on it.
Old 02-16-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Better than expected. The wife and me had a lot of fun watching it.

I agree with some of the criticisms though. Oh, and somehow I wasn't able to know who was doing the cameo up until I watched the movie! I read a lot about it, here, in twitter, and some other places, but never knew who he was.
Old 02-16-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this one alot. In addition to the
Spoiler:
Murray appearance
in the film, my favorite scene was when Eisenberg wrecks the motorcycle. That instantly made me think of the scene in "Wonder Boys" where Robert Downey Jr's character wrecks the little car. Both of those scenes I found very funny.
Old 04-22-10, 09:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

^ i think you missed the point of the movie entirely. i don't think it tried to be anything but mindless and fun entertainment.
Old 04-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I watched it last week for the first time. While it was fun, the second act brings the movie to its knees. The cameo was great, but it seemed like there was a 40 minute stretch where there were no zombies. I'd give it a B.
Old 04-23-10, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Then it succeeded, but only at 50%; it was definitely mindless, but it was far from fun. The most fun I had was when the credits rolled. And I watched the last bit, the "extra" after the credits, too; I can't imagine why they'd even include it, to be honest. Just not impressed by this movie very much at all.
Interesting. You're one of the only people I've heard have this opinion, but fair enough. I can see how it would drag and the lovey storyline would get a little boring, in fairness. But I loved the movie.
Old 04-23-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Then it succeeded, but only at 50%; it was definitely mindless, but it was far from fun. The most fun I had was when the credits rolled. And I watched the last bit, the "extra" after the credits, too; I can't imagine why they'd even include it, to be honest. Just not impressed by this movie very much at all.
I agree...to an extent. I guess I was just expecting a different film after all the hype. I didn't think it was necessarily a bad film, but it also wasn't that much fun. And I don't understand how everyone found it so funny. I think I may have laughed (on the inside) twice. This must have been the first film I've ever seen where the opening credits were the highlight of the film.

Last edited by dino88; 04-23-10 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I seen this in theaters and just watched it again last night and there is 1 line of dialogue that just bugs the hell out of me. Wichita says in 1997 she saw her first R-rated movie Anaconda but that movie is rated PG-13. Couldn't they have at least checked and put in a R rated movie
Old 05-25-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I seen this in theaters and just watched it again last night and there is 1 line of dialogue that just bugs the hell out of me. Wichita says in 1997 she saw her first R-rated movie Anaconda but that movie is rated PG-13. Couldn't they have at least checked and put in a R rated movie
The filmmakers admitted it was a goof-up on their end. But in its own way, it's sort of charming, I think. It nags at me as a perfectionist and a movie fan, but then I also think maybe there's something accurate about remembering something from your childhood as being worse than it is. I hid behind a couch in a friend's house and saw a few select bits of Troll 2 when I was young (the guy getting turned into a tree and then cut down, and the ending), and it ingrained itself on my impressionable brain as some sort of psychotic hard-R nightmare movie.
Old 04-01-12, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

just saw this again and i gotta say, i had just as much fun as the theatrical run. what a totally fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, but resembles the best of hor-com especially in the zombie area.

since this was a planned tv series, was there/is there any talk of a sequel?

i would love to see these characters again in another adventure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.