Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sean Bean's - Sharpe - BBC Movie/Shows

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone here ever see these? Ive never heard of them till I was at Cosco and saw 5 sets of 3 movies each, 5 hours long, for $24.99. I thought about getting 1 or 2 because it sounded interesting but decided against it. I liked that it was based on a series of books during the Napoleanic wars (As I just started reading the Aubrey novels) and all had Sean Bean. Now I look for reviews and find one here and its pretty favorable! However, NOONE but Cosco sells these sets. So any fans of the show here? What do you think?
Old 04-29-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Sean Bean's - Sharpe - BBC Movie/Shows

I barely remember them. I do remember enjoying them a lot and that Sean Bean became known because of them.

I do recall that there wasa rather memorable kiss between Sean Bean and Alice Kriege in one of the movies.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-29-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 02:50 PM

It looked like the movies came out from 94-99 I think. So it was up till LOTR was being made. After doing some reading yesterday I liked what I read and defenatley want these. I dont know if I should blow $150 on them though next time at Cosco but I may have to as theyre not available anywhere else like this. I dug the great review here but it was only for one of the movies.

Cosco had La Femme Nikita for $20 the last few weeks, thought about getting one or two, now theyve dissapeared and expensive everyhwere else. Id had to have bought, liked them, than unable to find them cheap. I dont want that to happen with Sharpe.

Looks like alot of big actors from Paul Bettany to Brian Cox come out. The only chick I saw was that Padma Loaksha or whatever
Old 04-30-09, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you pronounce his name?
Old 05-20-09, 09:09 PM

These are dissapearing fast from Costco so I bought them all. Ive seen the first 3 movies and the show is damn good so far. THe bad thing is the quallity is VHS and fullframe.

But I highly reccomend the show!
Old 09-07-09, 01:12 AM

So no one out there has gotten into the movies? Damn shame cause Im in the middle of them (spacing them out to not overkill) and I dont think Ive ever been more taken in by a movie/show
Old 09-07-09, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I want to get them really bad. I keep seeing them at Costco being restocked regularly. But your comment about a VHS quality transfer really turns me off. I'm holding out for either a better DVD or a BD release similar to what happened with Pride & Prejudice. This series had a lot of great production values and, if it was shot on film (and said elements are in good condition), it would look beautiful on BD.
Old 09-07-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the entire series (well, I think there may be one missing) from amazon.uk for under $30. I really am enjoying the show so far. (I went the UK route because of the price but also because I heard the video and aspect ratio were superior, so if you are region free you might want to try that)
Old 09-07-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I've been aware of them for a while, but I never bothered to look into them too much. Figured I'd get to them sooner or later. I thought Netflix had them, but I might be wrong without checking.
Old 09-08-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is a show i never watched when it was originally broadcast. It weas the kind of thing you would find on Sundays.....the kind of show where you are suppossed to be half asleep or not really taking much notice. However recently a friend lent me the entire collection and i have so far watched the first 5 episodes. Its cracking stuff. Really great show with Sean Bean really doing a top notch job. I am slowly going to make my way through these and may even give Hornblower a try after this. Highly recommended.
Old 09-08-09, 02:47 PM

Thats a damn good price star. Are you sure its all the movies? Theres 17 (18 counting the doc) total movies.

I got the Hornblower set a few weeks back during DD sale and have seen the first movie. Its really good too. But Sharpe has the edge of a dirty, kill you in a second, feel that cant be beat.