Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think there were any x-men first class toys, at all, at least not mass market ones. Maybe minimates or something. Hot Toys showed some prototypes of Xavier and I think Magneto, but never released anything (not that those are mass market)
There was a prototype of the First Class Xavier shown by Hot Toys but they never released it unfortunately. They've done a few versions of Wolverine though. They've done him from X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and The Wolverine.

Howard Chan who is the head of Hot Toys did a Q&A interview a while back where he was asked about the Xavier figure and other X-Men figures and he said the studio told them they had to get approval from all the actors individually to be able to use their likenesses so maybe that's holding up other toys as well. Not sure how that usually works with other films but I believe the actors sign off their likeness rights when they sign up for films like super hero ones or whatever that have potential for merchandise.
Old 08-28-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
but I believe the actors sign off their likeness rights when they sign up for films like super hero ones or whatever that have potential for merchandise.
Not necessarily. That's why Jackman was used on the cover of a Wolverine videogame but he did not allow the use of his likeness for the game proper. Thus the in-game model looks nothing like him.
Old 08-28-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not necessarily. That's why Jackman was used on the cover of a Wolverine videogame but he did not allow the use of his likeness for the game proper. Thus the in-game model looks nothing like him.
I think that's sort of what Mike was saying, that in OTHER films the actors sign off on their likeness with the movie contract, but it didn't seem to be that way for Fox's X-Men series
Old 08-28-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Dr Doom revealed....
http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four...costume-photo/

Suddenly those other two films aren't looking that bad
Old 08-28-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think that's sort of what Mike was saying, that in OTHER films the actors sign off on their likeness with the movie contract, but it didn't seem to be that way for Fox's X-Men series
Yeah I believe that's how it normally works. I'm sure some of the bigger names like Jackman have more leverage over what does and doesn't get the okay to use their likeness.
Old 08-28-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Looks like the Master botched another regeneration.
Old 08-28-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Yup. But it feels like Marvel/Disney is squeezing things owned by Fox out. I wanted to say I've read articles about that. Surely Wolverine would be a fan favorite for toys.
There are rumors that Marvel is very intent on walling off the X-Men and related mutant spin-offs from the properties they control as much as possible. They are pushing for "Inhumans" to replace "mutants" wherever they can get away with it.
Old 08-28-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I remember going to see Spider-Man 3 in 2007. I got to the theatre way too early, but I bought my ticket and went back to the hall of doors leading to the auditoriums. I snuck into a next-door showing of Rise of the Silver Surfer while I waited for Spider-Man 3's showtime. I figured, hey, these movies totally suck, right? Surely the internet fanboys collectively hate them for a reason. This oughtta be good for a laugh!

I was wrong. Spider-Man 3 turned out to be the laugh. Watching the second half of Rise of the Silver Surfer, something curious was happening. I was being... entertained. I'm the guy who was also entertained by Alien vs. Predator and The Mummy 3, so take that however you wish, but I thought they kind of made the perfect FF movie.

Oh wait, that's not the acceptable opinion. What I meant to say was, fuck those movies! They're awful! Galactus was a cloud! Did those assholes even read the comics?! Anger! Fury! Discontent! Rabble!
If you digged that crap, you would have thought you died and went to Heaven if Fox would had just film the original adaption of the Galactus trilogy with the proper budget.
Old 08-29-14, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What? That saying doesn't apply here, because you're assuming the movie will be a turd from a couple of photos and some actors you don't like.
Yes i am basing it off the photos i have seen, the actors selected and most importantly the direction they are taking these characters away from their comic book roots. The more i read and see about this movie the worse it seems. When the movie was first announced i was actually really optimistic as it seemed like Fox might actually be trying to get a great Fantastic Four movie on the big screen, but instead it is more and more appearing like a version directed at the Twilight/Divergent audience out there rather than fans of the original comic book.

And i have two favorite comic book villains of all time. Thanos and Galactus. Well at least one of them is being given the big screen respect he deserves.

Last edited by james2025a; 08-29-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

What happened to Dr. Doom's left arm?

Maybe a lot of CGI is going to be added to that costume in post-production?
Old 08-29-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Yes i am basing it off the photos i have seen, the actors selected and most importantly the direction they are taking these characters away from their comic book roots. The more i read and see about this movie the worse it seems. When the movie was first announced i was actually really optimistic as it seemed like Fox might actually be trying to get a great Fantastic Four movie on the big screen, but instead it is more and more appearing like a version directed at the Twilight/Divergent audience out there rather than fans of the original comic book.

And i have two favorite comic book villains of all time. Thanos and Galactus. Well at least one of them is being given the big screen respect he deserves.
Right, you're judging the film despite having seen no footage. What does Galactus have to do with anything, has he been announced for this movie?
Old 08-29-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Right, you're judging the film despite having seen no footage. What does Galactus have to do with anything, has he been announced for this movie?
No, but they fucked him up in the last FF movie.
Old 08-29-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
What happened to Dr. Doom's left arm?

Maybe a lot of CGI is going to be added to that costume in post-production?
It's blurred, so it looks like they took the pic while he was moving it.
Old 08-29-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Was none of this shot on location somewhere? I'm just surprised there's not one bit of spy photo out there during principal photography. Either they did a pretty good job of locking down the sets for this one, or nobody really cared to spy on the movie. haha
Apparently some of this was shot on location nowhere ... The rest was shot on location in Greenland and Greenville, SC.

Thoughts on the amount of Spider-Man vs. X-Men toys (in addition to rights issues): Spider-Man is much more marketable to little boys and their parents. Additionally, Spider-Man was around (from a mass market toy line) for most kids at an early age. They grew up with him and are familiar with him. Also:

Spider-Man is one main character, simple design, flashy colors, and geared towards younger audiences.

X-Men are an unlimited supply of characters, more complex designs, muted color pallet (unless you go back to the yellow), and are targeted at a more serious audience.
Old 08-29-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No, but they fucked him up in the last FF movie.
This is unrelated to the last two movies though. That means there might be a new opportunity to do Galactus justice in this franchise. But that's not how things work. Instead, comic book fans jump to conclusions, assume the worst, and make snap judgments on films when every little detail is released and they don't immediately match that person's specific vision.
Old 08-29-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The one thing I'm noticing about Fantastic Four pics that have been released is that every single one of them is in a green screen stage. Did Trank film this Sin City style?
Old 08-29-14, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe. But can be shoot as fast as RR?
Old 08-29-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is unrelated to the last two movies though. That means there might be a new opportunity to do Galactus justice in this franchise. But that's not how things work. Instead, comic book fans jump to conclusions, assume the worst, and make snap judgments on films when every little detail is released and they don't immediately match that person's specific vision.
Not at all. I have lived long enough and seen enough shitty movies, photos from the production of shitty movies and bad choices that have been made for subsequently shitty movies to know when i am looking at one. And Fox has a track record for putting out shitty Comic book movies.

And yes, i was trying to illustrate the point that Fox has a tendency to screw these characters up very badly.....so the mention to Galactus.
Old 08-30-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair Fox doesn't exactly have a great track record for their superhero films. Aside from the X-Men films pretty much all the ones they've produced have been shit. That paired with some odd decisions for this film so far and the limited images we've seen not being that impressive I can see why people are skeptical as to how good this will be.
Old 08-30-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If we had actually seen a trailer I would agree that we could get a good idea of what the film would be like, but as of right now, it's just too early. Aside from a few stinkers, Fox has produced quite a few really good X-Men films. Days of Future Past was one of the best movies of the year. Josh Trank directed Chronicle which was a really good, fresh take on the super hero film, we should be waiting to see what he does with this franchise. Seeing Dr. Doom's mask in a special effects shot and deciding the film will suck is just completely unreasonable. The internet has been wrong after prejudging a film plenty of times, whether a film turns out better than it looked(Edge of Tomorrow) or worse(Prometheus). Is it so hard to keep an open mind? Apparently when it comes to comic book properties, it is.
Old 08-30-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I didn't care for Chronicle, but that's probably due to me not liking most found footage type films. I agree that people are overreacting a bit at this point but I'm just saying when you look at previous Fox Marvel efforts such as Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer they're output really isn't very good. The X-Men films are all mostly good other than The Last Stand and I agree that Days of Future Past is awesome and honestly probably my second favorite Marvel film this year. I just don't know that I trust this new Fantastic Four though. Not even just images we've seen which are limited but the casting bothers me more than anything.
Old 08-30-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not even just images we've seen which are limited but the casting bothers me more than anything.
Racist!
Old 08-30-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually Miles Teller is the main one I have issues with. He just seems way too young to play Richards in my opinion and I have a hard time believing him as a scientific genuis.
Old 08-30-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Maybe. But can be shoot as fast as RR?
It certainly seems that way. It looks like they shot FF in 2 weeks. I was still waiting for an announcement that they had started shooting already.
Old 08-30-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually Miles Teller is the main one I have issues with. He just seems way too young to play Richards in my opinion and I have a hard time believing him as a scientific genuis.
And he always comes off like a douche and plays the asshole in about 95% of the films he's in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.