Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Originally Posted by Mike86
Actually Miles Teller is the main one I have issues with. He just seems way too young to play Richards in my opinion and I have a hard time believing him as a scientific genuis.
Yeah, he's the only one I'm not familiar with, but the others are definitely good actors. It seems to me like people look at these films and decide to hate them not because they have the makings of a bad movie, but because they are not going to be exactly like the comics.
Old 08-30-14, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've honestly no real say for this film yet. The thing design is neat. I like part of the cast. That's all I got. And I guess we're getting Doom again?
Old 08-31-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Days of Future Past is awesome and honestly probably my second favorite Marvel film this year. I just don't know that I trust this new Fantastic Four though. Not even just images we've seen which are limited but the casting bothers me more than anything.
DoFP is not an official Marvel movie. Like all Faux Marvel films, it fell far short of what it could and should have been.
Old 08-31-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
set design outsourced to former Lucasfilm crew
Old 08-31-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
DoFP is not an official Marvel movie. Like all Faux Marvel films, it fell far short of what it could and should have been.
Disagree completely. Thought it was the summer's best, and didn't need to come from the Marvel Studios line, and I don't necessarily think they need to own absolutely everything and subsume it under their formula.
Old 08-31-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Well I know it isn't part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it is still a Marvel film regardless. I also don't really see how it fell short. It was great and completely brought the excitement back to the X-Men film franchise if you ask me. I do sort of wish that everything was under one branch or at least that Fox and Sony would work with Disney, but in all honesty the X-Men franchise works pretty well on it's own.
Old 08-31-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm keeping on open mind, but I could care less about the Ultimates version of FF, FF has a specific vibe and mood all to itself. It is not served by young actors. I hate the way they are going with this.
Old 08-31-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, DOFP was very good, better than Thor 2 and IM2.
Old 08-31-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
No, DOFP was very good, better than Thor 2 and IM2.
I even liked Days of Future Past more than The Winter Soldier honestly. It had a very epic feel to it and was just so satisfying to watch. I'd put it up with Guardians of the Galaxy as my favorite Marvel film this year.
Old 08-31-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Though it's not a Marvel Studios movie, the Marvel suits still look over the scripts and do basic stuff like that for X-Men and Spider-Man movies.
Old 08-31-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Though it's not a Marvel Studios movie, the Marvel suits still look over the scripts and do basic stuff like that for X-Men and Spider-Man movies.
Do they? Seems like it ends up being irrelevant given some of the junk that's come out.
Old 08-31-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Do they? Seems like it ends up being irrelevant given some of the junk that's come out.
Yeah I wonder how much (if any) input Marvel has over the films released by Fox and Sony. I mean on the one hand they own the characters but on the other they gave up their film rights to those characters. I would think there's at least some consulting that goes on between the studios and Marvel but maybe not.
Old 08-31-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I got it from this article (a good read), which had the following to say:

Insiders involved with those properties say Marvel has rights of approval on such matters as script, costume and storyline but does not seek to impose nearly the degree of control it does on its Disney films. Says a studio source, "I've never seen a Marvel person at one of the [X-Men] premieres."
But like it says, it doesn't mean they're hands on with everything, just that they can exercise approval, and probably do, to some extent, considering Avi Arad's involvement across studios in the early years, and the fact that Kevin Feige was a producer on those same movies, and even on The Amazing Spider-Man.

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-31-14 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Still waiting for the photoshops to start rolling in ...
Old 09-18-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Along with the Deadpool news, looks like this is moving from June to August 7th.
Old 09-19-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I got around to watching Chronicle last week and it started off good and by the end it was just stupid. It has done nothing at all to increase my faith in the direction this reboot is gonna go.
Old 09-19-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a shame, you've been so open minded about this up until now.
Old 09-19-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i keep waiting to see something that makes me feel this project might be going in the right direction....so far not a single thing has. I would love to see a great Fantastic Four movie....so far from everything i have seen and read about this project, i get the impression i will have to keep on waiting.
Old 09-30-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
'Fantastic Four' Reboot is "Completely Different" Than Previous Attempts, Star Says
12:14 PM PDT 9/30/2014 by Graeme McMillan

Attention Fantastic Four fans who still bear emotional scars following Fox’s first cinematic version of their favorite heroes. Miles Teller, who plays Reed Richards in next year’s franchise reboot, has some comforting words for you: The new version doesn’t feature “Michael Chiklis in a big Styrofoam thing.” Or a big Styrofoam Thing, for that matter.

“It’s different in every way,” Teller explained to Vulture when comparing the Josh Trank-helmed movie to its 2005 and 2007 predecessors. “The tone of this film is completely different,” he continued. “I think that [a more grounded approach] is what people are into… You’re dealing with these characters but you’re making them real people in how they exist day-to-day. People wanted it to be taken more seriously than the kind of Dick Tracy, kitschy, overly comic-book world.”

The actor, who appears in the movie alongside Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Bell, also said that he wasn’t worried about audiences being bored by superhero movies before Fantastic Four hits theaters next summer. “It depends on the product,” he said. “Guardians of the Galaxy was a really fresh take on it [and] I think people responded to that. In terms of where we are in the schedule, we’re playing the same weekend they were playing.” (The movie was moved to an August 7 release earlier this month; Guardians opened August 1).

“It’s a big summer,” he admitted, pointing to Marvel’s second Avengers movie, Jurassic World and Terminator: Genisys as potential competition for Four. “There’s a ton of movies out there, so if people have an appetite for it, they’ll see a couple, and if not, maybe they’ll just see one.” Preferably, of course, the one that’s grounded and less kitschy than the rest. Styrofoam lovers, there’s always Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.
Old 09-30-14, 06:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I hope all four of them have the Batman gravely voice.
Old 09-30-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If this movie wants to troll fans any harder they'll have to hire dan03oly to do PR.
Old 09-30-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

"grounded and realistic" is probably a lot cheaper than "big and cosmic" though.
Old 09-30-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If this movie wants to troll fans any harder they'll have to hire dan03oly to do PR.
For teh last time, I'm not a troll.

I'm not interested in PR work, but I will be available to direct or produce the flick.
Old 09-30-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
Because when I think of the Fantastic Four, I think dark and gritty.
Absolutely. I want my movie about a guy who turns to rubber, another who can ignite himself into flames and fly with no harmful effects, another who literally turns to living rock, and a woman who becomes invisible to be "realistic", and not "overly comic-book world".

Originally Posted by Jory
Good lord, someone please shoot this "grounded and realistic" trend in the back of the head. Not everything needs to be Christopher Nolanized.
I know I'll be flamed (get it? Flamed ) for this, but in my world NO film needs to be Nolanized. I think all of his films would be much better without that particular aspect.
Old 09-30-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.