Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brad Anderson- Vanishing on Seventh Street

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a big admirer of Session 9 and The Machinist, this sounds interesting...

Hayden Christensen has signed to star and Thandie Newton and John Leguizamo are in negotiations to star in the indie thriller "Vanishing on Seventh Street" for director Brad Anderson.

Written by Anderson and Anthony Jaswinski, the story is set in a once-thriving city where shadowy forms cause residents to inexplicably disappear. Five survivors fight to stay alive while grappling with the meaning of existence.

Christensen is playing a reporter. Newton would play a desperate nurse and Leguizamo a subway operator.

Shooting is set to begin mid-October in the once-thriving city of Detroit.

Russ Fischer slashfilm:

"Sounds kind of great, to me; has sort of an old Val Lewton vibe, between the title and the logline. Anderson can do some great creepy work when he hits (disclaimer: having worked on Session 9, I’m hardly objective here) but isn’t always on point. Hopefully this will be one of the good ones; I like shadowy forms in crumbling cities."

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/27/...-new-projects/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...532a02cf2c984f
Old 08-27-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brad Anderson- Vanishing on Seventh Street

Even though I've yet to see Transsiberian (I know, I know..), I'm a big fan of BA's so I'm in.
Old 08-27-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Manakin Skywalker aside, this sounds like it could be cool. Haven't seen Transsiberian yet either, but I do really like Session 9 and I enjoyed Machinist.
Old 08-27-09, 05:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brad Anderson with a Val Lewton vibe? Sold. Sold sold sold.
Old 08-27-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Brad Anderson with a Val Lewton vibe? Sold. Sold sold sold.

Brad Anderson . . . Sold.
Old 08-27-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pjflyer
this.
Old 08-27-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pjflyer
Same for me.
Old 08-20-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="450" height="222"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26125"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26125" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="222" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-20-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Didn't realize how much TV work Anderson has been doing, good to see (7 episodes of Fringe, 1 of Treme and 1 of Boardwalk Empire).
Old 02-19-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Has anyone else watched this yet? I just watched it via HDNET's sneak preview (it aired Wednesday night). So I imagine it's available On Demand and will have a very limited theatrical release or none at all.

Basically, it's Pitch Black without the aliens. Or Vin Diesel.

Actually, I thought the creepy atmosphere was pretty well done at first, but the movie starts to rely too much on flickering lights to build suspense and the story itself never really goes anywhere. I know it's intended to add to the mystery by not giving any real explanation or resolution, but that ultimately left me unsatisfied. There are some guesses made by the characters, but there's no reason to believe they are correct.

The shadowy figures were creepy, but as a menace they were "static." The threat they posed didn't seem to grow, and we never learned any more about them as the movie progressed. It's like a monster movie that never shows you the monster. So the tone of the movie is fairly flat. There is not much build-up or escalation. And as is often the case in these types of movies, the characters stupidly put themselves in danger, when they should have known better.

Spoiler:
Luke's decision to leave the truck to go after James in the church being a prime example.

I give it a C. Unless you're a big Brad Anderson fan, I'd pass.
Old 02-19-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I saw it on HDNet as well and if I had known prior it was from the director of the Machinist, I wouldn't have thought they'd have the same director. Completely agree that the atmosphere and premise are well done/executed, but the stupid decisions never had a complete connection to the "darkness" tempting them.
Old 03-02-12, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a disappointing movie. Great premise with a talented director on board, but failing in the execution. The characters are poorly developed and there is no connection to them. One compliment I can give is that they made the shadows damn creepy and the way they draped the buildings, fixtures, objects in the room was pretty awesome.

Spoiler:
While I can appreciate an ambiguous ending, they really needed to give more information about the shadows. The Mist is everything Vanishing on 7th Street should have been.
Old 03-02-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I finally got around to seeing it earlier this week. I just didn't care for it.
Old 03-03-12, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I liked it, but I don't think it'll hold up on repeat viewings. It's certainly not in the same league as Session 9 or The Machinist. The flaws have already been discussed, I have to agree that the lighting and atmosphere was excellent, making for a very creepy first half.
Old 03-03-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny, I never commented in here despite watching the move last year.

I thought it was OK, but I didn't like how one-dimensional the characters felt. They also made some very poor decisions - constantly. I thought it was a novel idea that we don't know any more about what's going on than the cast does, but that sense of total mystery wore off eventually. I didn't need Exposition Character to pop up and explain everything away, but at least give me a nugget to feast on.