Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jake Lloyd A.K.A Anakin Skywalker 10 years later...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jake Lloyd A.K.A Anakin Skywalker 10 years later...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Jake Lloyd A.K.A Anakin Skywalker 10 years later...

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's sad that, although Liam Neeson delivered the best performance in TPM, it was one of his all time worst. It's not that he was bad but that it was bad in comparison to what he can really do as an actor.
If I recall correctly, Neeson has said that he almost quit acting as a result of his experience under Lucas's direction on TPM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was the only reason I wanted to see Episode 1...and also what made me want to understand what SW was as film series. I also remember wanting to see X-Men even more cuz of Ray Park...man, I love that he's Snake Eyes....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2A4fN7FEzjc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2A4fN7FEzjc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-27-09 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Queen Amidala: How did you end up here with us?
Jar Jar Binks: I don't know. Mesa day startin pretty okee-day with a brisky morning munchy, then BOOM! Gettin very scared and grabbin that Jedi and POW! Mesa here! Mesa gettin' very very scared!
I didn't think Jar-Jar was that bad, but I also thought the movie was mostly played for laughs (....mostly).

I'll give you guys the Darth Maul/Jedi duel, and maybe the Pod racing...but I'm not exactly sure what else screams "serious business".
Old 07-28-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Wow, that was horrible
Old 07-28-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
If I recall correctly, Neeson has said that he almost quit acting as a result of his experience under Lucas's direction on TPM.
Wow. Seriously? I didn't know that. It would explain why he was "unavailable" to record his lines for Episode 3. Too bad since it would have lent some weight to the PT beyond just showing how it all fell into place. It would have served as a payoff to all that prophesy nonesense they were babbling about since Episode 1.

Speaking of dangling plot threads, what was the point of Sifo Dias? They name drop him in Episode 2 as if he's someone of import (dead though he may be at the time) but then ignore that thread as quickly as it was brought up.
Old 07-28-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
"The Phantom Menace" blows mostlly becuase of George Lucas as a director and writer for this movie...jar jar Binks?lol

Also A must see is Fanboys(2008).More then a few times they make fun of TPM and that it sucks.

Queen Amidala: How did you end up here with us?
Jar Jar Binks: I don't know. Mesa day startin pretty okee-day with a brisky morning munchy, then BOOM! Gettin very scared and grabbin that Jedi and POW! Mesa here! Mesa gettin' very very scared!
Have you seen the Darths & Droids comic? It's Episode I reimagined as an RPG campaign. They actually come up with a good explanation for Jar Jar.

Old 07-28-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Funny how....I never knew the kids name in general. I can't imagine that THAT many kids knew who he was in HS....
It only takes one kid to know who he is and then everyone knows.
Old 07-28-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
It only takes one kid to know who he is and then everyone knows.
That's just what I was about to say. One kid in high school knows something like that and you don't think everyone else would know about it within a couple of hours?
Old 07-28-09, 02:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I was the kid in Voyagers! but you don't see me pissing and moaning about it.
Old 07-28-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It wasn't only TPM. It was the combination of his experience on TPM and what happened with The Haunting. If I remember correctly he was ticked off about the overuse of CGI with less focus on acting.
Old 07-28-09, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric D.
The Darth Maul fight with Williams' Duel of the Fates was pretty badass.
Two I thought that were going to happen and didn't after I saw that scene.
1) The actor who played Darth Maul was going to be the next Chuck Norris or action star.
2) In the next two STAR WARS movies we were going to see just as great fight scenes.
Old 07-28-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I was the kid in Voyagers! but you don't see me pissing and moaning about it.
I loved that show. So, you're Punky Brewster's brother?
Old 07-29-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I love the hell out of Darths and Droids. It's updated a couple times a week still, and there into Attack of the Clones. They're currently at the Kenobi-Fett duel in the rain on Geonosis and the way they're re-writing the PT story arc is nothing short of amazing.

Anyways, Lloyd got a raw deal. There were scenes where you could see the real little kid coming through, but Lucas' directing and writing managed to cover it back up pretty quickly. I don't outright hate the movie though. When it first came out, I loved it. My wife and I saw it at least 6 times (maybe as many as 10) in the theater. I bought the widescreen VHS giftset and got the DVD on the day it was released. Then I got on the internet and realized I was supposed to hate it, so I did. Then I got on the internet some more and realized not everybody hated it and forced myself to admit I didn't really hate it either. So I'm currently back to enjoying it for what it is, but I readily admit another good run through the editing bay for a tightening up and re-insertion of a few deleted scenes would do it a world of good (same for Eps 2 and 3). Yes, Hayden Christensen isn't exactly bringing his "A" game either, but there's just so many other wonderful scenes, and of course Ewan totally owns Kenobi.
Old 07-29-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I never heard of Darths and Droids before. It's hilarious. And I don't even play RPG's (well, not the non-videogame sort).
Old 12-29-10, 08:03 PM

I have no doubt that he is bitter. He has no career in hollywood and basically never acted again after SW in 1999. The movie is regarded largely as a failure in spite of the huge money it made. The fanboys didn't like it and the public largely seemed to think it was stupid. Basically it is seen as a big hit only because it was a Star Wars movie, not because it was any good. These things almost never work out for little kids in movies like that. He would have been waaaay better off if he was like Hayden. While yes he sucked hard in both prequels at least he was all grown up. He didn't have to go through High School hearing about how much he sucked in SW. That they hated the movie and it's all his fault. Stuff can really mess with a kid's head. All i will say is, the guy appears to have a bad attitude when he goes to these conventions to make money. There's clips of him on youtube with a total pissy attitude as he's signing and taking pics.. If you hate SW so much stop profiting off it or at least smile more and be polite when you show up.

Personally I will never understand these conventions and why people attend them to meet guys like Jake Lloyd. You wanna meet Mark Hammill, yeah i certainly get that he was friggin Luke Skywalker okay. But show up pay money to meet the guy that was awful in 1 terrible SW movie. And he has an attitude about it to boot.. So stupid..
Old 12-29-10, 08:05 PM

I'm sure he was very unhappy. He likely thought he was gonna come off like Obi Wan in the original series or Han and instead had this character that offered nothing to the mythology of SW. A character who got buried under CGI and Jar Jar Binks..
Old 12-29-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DEmgio0VV1E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DEmgio0VV1E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-29-10, 08:36 PM

The guy interviewing him was being very sarcastic with him. Another guy that obviously hated Episode 1 and is thinking to himself

"What's it been like having to live down being in such a bad movie all these years"

But you see there Jake hates SW and hates talking about. So again stop making money off it. And Fanboys get a life will ya. You really wanna meet Jake Lloyd? Why so he can be pissy with you about how SW ruined his child-hood..
Old 12-29-10, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Match
Hayden Christensen was good in "Life as a House" Now he did the Star Wars movies, he can't act anymore.
All Hayden did in Life as a House is whine like a 10 year old when he didn't get his way. Isn't that what he did in SW for 2 movies just with lots more CGI?? I know when i saw him in that movie i was worried big time about him being Anakin in SW Episode 2.. I sure wasn't wrong..
Old 12-29-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbreiden83080
I have no doubt that he is bitter. He has no career in hollywood and basically never acted again after SW in 1999. The movie is regarded largely as a failure in spite of the huge money it made. The fanboys didn't like it and the public largely seemed to think it was stupid. Basically it is seen as a big hit only because it was a Star Wars movie, not because it was any good. These things almost never work out for little kids in movies like that. He would have been waaaay better off if he was like Hayden. While yes he sucked hard in both prequels at least he was all grown up. He didn't have to go through High School hearing about how much he sucked in SW. That they hated the movie and it's all his fault. Stuff can really mess with a kid's head. All i will say is, the guy appears to have a bad attitude when he goes to these conventions to make money. There's clips of him on youtube with a total pissy attitude as he's signing and taking pics.. If you hate SW so much stop profiting off it or at least smile more and be polite when you show up.

Personally I will never understand these conventions and why people attend them to meet guys like Jake Lloyd. You wanna meet Mark Hammill, yeah i certainly get that he was friggin Luke Skywalker okay. But show up pay money to meet the guy that was awful in 1 terrible SW movie. And he has an attitude about it to boot.. So stupid..
I'm sure he was very unhappy. He likely thought he was gonna come off like Obi Wan in the original series or Han and instead had this character that offered nothing to the mythology of SW. A character who got buried under CGI and Jar Jar Binks..
The guy interviewing him was being very sarcastic with him. Another guy that obviously hated Episode 1 and is thinking to himself

"What's it been like having to live down being in such a bad movie all these years"

But you see there Jake hates SW and hates talking about. So again stop making money off it. And Fanboys get a life will ya. You really wanna meet Jake Lloyd? Why so he can be pissy with you about how SW ruined his child-hood..
All Hayden did in Life as a House is whine like a 10 year old when he didn't get his way. Isn't that what he did in SW for 2 movies just with lots more CGI?? I know when i saw him in that movie i was worried big time about him being Anakin in SW Episode 2.. I sure wasn't wrong..
Jake Lloyd?
Old 12-29-10, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
I enjoyed the movie as well. It's not the best star wars in the series, but it doesn't deserve all the hatred people give it. The opening, pod racing scene, gungan battle, and the darth maul duel saved the movie.
PM definately has some good moments with the fight scenes and the effects. But what kills it for me is 2 things.

1) ZERO character development

2) Jar Jar Binks..

This movie fails horribly to give you anyone to care about or root for on any level. It bounces around so much from sub-plot to sub-plot that you are half way through and it's like "Who is the main character in this movie and what the hell is going on"?? I admire Lucas work with his ability to come up with winning ideas like Star Wars and Indiana Jones but he is not the man to bring about the best movie from those ideas. The prequels prove that. I read several times that he was unhappy with Kershner's decisions on Empire and would have made a different less emotional movie. WOW that says it all. It's widely regarded as the best SW movie of all time and Lucas is not happy with it.. Lucas did a great job with the first SW but as you see from the documentaries he had a lot of other creative forces in his ear like Gary Kurtz to help guide the ship. the SW prequels he just did whatever he wanted and the results were not good.
Old 12-29-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I think Jake Lloyd is getting a bum rap from you. Very clearly his attitude is that he is not running around in his everyday life trying to milk his connection to SW, but he is not ducking his head in shame like the interviewer seems to think he should.

Ten years later, he's just a guy going to school, but one with a claim to fame that allows him to cash the occasional paycheck and get a free trip to Australia. And why shouldn't he? I doubt that very many people wait in line to abuse him. They probably say nice things to him and (since he is not a sociopath) he is pleasant in return.
Old 12-29-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Jake Lloyd should take some of that Star Wars money and get some much needed therapy. He acts like a wounded animal...
Old 12-29-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That interviewer was passive aggressive, an amateur and an a-hole, as well as asking the wrong kind of questions.
Old 12-29-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I think Jake Lloyd should take some of that Star Wars money and get some much needed therapy. He acts like a wounded animal...
That's how he should act being accosted by jerks who want to know how he can stand to live with himself after committing the crime of being in a bad movie when he was a child.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.