Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please can anyone help !!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help finding the title of a movie/tv movie and have been told that you guys on here know your stuff and might be able to help! I hope so as I am having no luck anywhere else!!

Ok quite a few years ago I saw a film and now when discribing it to my friends they have no idea and think I must have seen it in a dream or something!!!

The only specifics I can really remember about the film is that one of the leads was a woman with blonde hair, possibly a reporter and the guy she is "following" is possibly a theif and leaves a black orchid as his calling card !!

I am sure there is one scene some where tropical with the woman stood on a balconey looking over a field od black orchids.

The style I think, was similar to that of "Sky Captian and The World of Tomorrow" but it must have been in the very late 80's early 90's when I saw this film.
I keep thinking it was titled " The adventures of ... or had adventure in the tile but I could be completely wrong!

I am sorry its so vague but maybe it will ring a bell with someone !!??
This has been driving me made for a few years now and i really need to show my friends I didn't dream it !!! It is nothing to do with DC comic black orchid as i have been down all the imdb routes already !!

Hakuda
Old 07-23-09, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Please can anyone help !!

Well I doubt it had the visual style of Sky Captain cuz it's the 80s or early 90s. Do you mean it has that same period aesthetic style?
Old 07-23-09, 08:09 AM

Yer just that kinda feel to the film really !
Old 07-23-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It was probably a Doctor Who special: http://www.denofgeek.com/Reviews/148...vd_review.html which was originally broadcast in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Orchid_(Doctor_Who)

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Bla.../dp/B0017XOFFK
Old 07-23-09, 08:55 AM

Sorry to say but not a doctor who, I have looked at this episode several times trying to make sure it's not what I am looking for, and it's not !!

I am really sorry to be so difficult !!
Old 07-23-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Thing?
Old 07-23-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it was an orchid and not a black rose?

In the Dragonlance saga, the black rose is a symbol of shame or dishonor, especially among the Knights of Solamnia. It is often associated with Lord Soth, also known as the Knight of the Black Rose. Sturm Brightblade, one of the main characters of the Dragonlance epic, was associated with the black rose when his honour was questioned, but was later remembered as one of the greatest knights who ever lived.

Amelia Atwater-Rhodes uses the black rose as a symbol of the vampires in her first few novels:

In In the Forests of the Night, Aubrey gives a black rose to Risika before she is changed.
In Demon in My View, black roses mark the path to the vampires' city, New Mayhem.
Nikolas's knife is inlaid with a black rose in Shattered Mirror.
In Midnight Predator, black roses are grown on the grounds of Midnight.
Lisa Jane Smith uses the black rose as a symbol for non-humans mostly used by vampires in her Night World series.

In the third season episode of Babylon 5 titled "Passing Through Gethsemane," there are references to a serial killer known as "The Black Rose Killer" who murdered several women and left a black rose as his calling card. This theme is further used throughout the series, always a sign that someone has placed a hit on the receiver of the rose.

In the television show NCIS_(TV_series), Abby_Sciuto often receives black roses from her coworkers or gives them as gifts.
Old 07-23-09, 10:20 AM

I thought I was sure it was an orchid!! I am looking through these suggestions now,

Almost sure its and orchid though!! Begining to think I did dream this, I should complete the story line and make it my self, its a really good story in my head"! lol
Old 07-23-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another possibility that just popped into my head, if some of your facts are incorrect, is V for Vendetta with the red roses.
Old 07-23-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it one of the Brenda Starr movies? There was a TV movie in 1976 and the one with Brooke Shields in 1989.
Old 07-23-09, 04:21 PM

OMG Brenda Star ..........I think that might be it !!!!!?????????????? Going to look into it before my laptop dies ...............fingers crossed.
Old 07-23-09, 04:38 PM

YES YES YES .....................that's it you are fantastic, brilliant, amazing.
Thank you so muchxx
Old 07-23-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakudaryu
YES YES YES .....................that's it you are fantastic, brilliant, amazing.
Thank you so muchxx
Just out of curiosity, which Brenda Starr movie was it? The 1976 TV movie with Jill St. John or the 1989 movie with Brooke Shields?
Old 07-24-09, 02:21 AM

Ash, The one I remember was the 1989 movie but looking through the info on both films I think at some point I have seen both and that's where I am getting crossover with the black and white thing ! But it was the Brooke Shields one I had most vividly all be it a little mixed up ! lol
I am so pleased I found this site or I could still have been looking, now all I need is a copy to watch! lol
Old 07-24-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hakudaryu
Ash, The one I remember was the 1989 movie but looking through the info on both films I think at some point I have seen both and that's where I am getting crossover with the black and white thing ! But it was the Brooke Shields one I had most vividly all be it a little mixed up ! lol
I am so pleased I found this site or I could still have been looking, now all I need is a copy to watch! lol
Welcome to DVD Talk!