Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Woo to direct WWII film on Flying Tigers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Slashfilm:
A press conference has been held in China to announce the production of John Woo’s next film, claimed to be the most expensive Chinese production to date. Half of the £100 million funds will allegedly be coming from the US, however, though I haven’t actually seen it confirmed who the American backers are. The film will unsurprisingly feature a mix of ‘Hollywood’ and Chinese movie stars.

The Flying Tigers, more officially known as The 1st American Volunteer Group, flew missions against the Japanese in World War 2. They apparently destroyed 300 enemy aircraft while suffering only 14 casualties, for which they were paid a bonus which might, technically, make them mercenaries.

Woo’s film has the working title of Flying Tiger Heroes, though one would hope that’s going to change. He’s definitely good to make on his promise of “the most spectacular aerial battle scenes ever seen in Chinese cinema”.

Here’s more from the director:

This is an extremely important production. Currently, basic preparations for shooting work have already been made and in a month we’ll confirm the script. This Yunnan-themed film emphasizes China-US friendship and the contributions of the Flying Tigers and the people of Yunnan during the War of Resistance.
Old 07-06-09, 02:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: John Woo to direct WWII film on Flying Tigers

Frying Tigers?
Old 07-06-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Frying Tigers?

If John Woo's cementing a return in the East, I demand he return to his Peckinpah Fu subgenre of action.
Old 07-06-09, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better watch out for bird strikes with all the doves flying around in slow motion!
Old 07-06-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as it doesn't star Nick "the screaming banshee" Cage, the savior of WWII I'll give it a shot. It's the 20th anniv of The Killer - why not produce a homage film ...

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Frying Tigers?
You're a doctor, right? (here's a nice little cultural reference) ...

Tim: Jerry, it's our sense of humor that sustained us as a people for 3000 years.
Jerry: 5000.
Tim: 5000, even better. Okay, Chrissie. Give me a schtickle of fluoride.
Old 07-06-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Sad that a script for Flying Tigers has been around for at least 10 years and this is the guy that picks it up?
Old 07-06-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by visitor Q
As long as it doesn't star Nick "the screaming banshee" Cage
"Screaming like banshees?"

Old 07-09-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Sad that a script for Flying Tigers has been around for at least 10 years and this is the guy that picks it up?
Ah, I thought I might still have the script.

Based on a screenplay by Pen Densham & John Watson and Joe Bateer. Written by Tedi Sarafian. Revised draft 3/27/95.

Back then it was Morgan Creek's property.
Old 07-10-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

John Wayne starred in a wartime film about the Flying Tigers called THE FLYING TIGERS (1942). It's worth seeing. A modern, big-budget historical drama about the Flying Tigers would be of real value provided it tells the true story and not a fictionalization. I'm a fan of Woo, but I thought his previous WWII film, WINDTALKERS, was awful.
Old 07-10-09, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Woo's last good film was Face/Off...and it's good but very neutered compared to his HK stuff. Personally Pre-US Woo films were badass.
Old 07-10-09, 12:18 PM

Call it a guilty pleasure, but I liked Windtalkers. Yeah, I know, the script was bad, and Cage was annoying. But the battle scenes were excellent. When I tell people that Windtalkers:The Director's Cut is one of the most watched dvds in my collection, they usually roll their eyes and crack up.
I agree that Woo's best films are of course his earlier HK epics: A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Bullet in the Head, and Hard-Boiled. His American films have been uneven at best, with Face/Off being his only good one, I think.
Although I have a bootleg VHS tape of Hard Target:The Workprint and it's much better than the watered down theatrical cut.
Will Red Cliff hit American theaters this year?
Old 07-10-09, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't about about the release but it's for sure that it'll be a cut version of it, heard that it's rather long.
Old 07-10-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
John Wayne starred in a wartime film about the Flying Tigers called THE FLYING TIGERS (1942). It's worth seeing. A modern, big-budget historical drama about the Flying Tigers would be of real value provided it tells the true story and not a fictionalization. I'm a fan of Woo, but I thought his previous WWII film, WINDTALKERS, was awful.
Woo should definitely watch that John Wayne version a couple times at least before making his movie - just to get some historic perspective on how that period was viewed by Hollywood DURING the war.

And it's just a good movie (not great, but good).
Old 10-21-11, 05:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so what ever happened to this film - is it dead in the water ?? was reading that Woo was in talks with IMAX in shooting some if not all of the film with the IMAX cameras
Old 10-21-11, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't imagine anything produced today could be better than the John Wayne version from 1942. Why not just re-release that? It would make a ton of cash and be cheaper than a remake.
Old 10-22-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't Lucas making a WWII airplane movie as well?
Old 10-22-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of Woo, they made a remake of A Better Tomorrow? WTH?
Old 10-22-11, 10:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Isn't Lucas making a WWII airplane movie as well?
yes it's about the Tuskegee airmen, he's producing it, but Anthony Hemingway is directing it:

Red Tails
Old 10-23-11, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Time Warrior
I can't imagine anything produced today could be better than the John Wayne version from 1942. Why not just re-release that? It would make a ton of cash and be cheaper than a remake.
Completely agree. Flying Tigers was one of John Wayne's best WWII films, right up there with Sands Of Iwo Jima. Be wonderful to see it on the big screen.
Old 11-07-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Variety
Ron Shelton, Walt Becker Tapped to Direct ‘Flying Tigers’

Ron Shelton and Walt Becker are set as directors on “Flying Tigers,” a $70 million action drama about the American volunteer pilots who fought in defense of China in WWII.

Pitched at AFM by Rex Media, “Tigers” will be formatted as a 10-hour TV miniseries in the U.S. and several territories and as three feature films for theatrical release in China and certain other markets.

“Tigers” was written by William J. “Bill” Macdonald, co-creator and writer of HBO’s “Rome.”

Filming is scheduled to start next summer on locations in China and Louisiana with a first season release planned for summer 2015, the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II. Aside from Shelton and Becker, Ralph Hemecker (“Silk Stalkings”), and John Luessenhop (“Texas Chainsaw 3D”) will also share helming duties.

The production is financed by Motion Media Group and ESR Financial Management, a U.K. film fund headed by Barry Fromson, who is one of the executive producers.

Other executive producers are Macdonald, Rex Media’s George Lascu, Marcus Morton and Shelton. Line producers are Emmy Award-winning executive producer Bill Borden (“High School Musical”), Tom Reeve (“Dog Soldiers”) and Bill Kong, head of Hong Kong and China’s Edko Films.

The Rex Media project could find itself in a dogfight with John Woo, who has also been nurturing a Tigers project. That film is set up through Woo and Terence Chang’s Lion Rock Prods. as a two-part film and six-part miniseries. In April it was announced that Lion Rock had attracted China Film Group and Dasym Media (formerly Cyrte Investments) as partners and that Woo would shoot from early 2014

The Flying Tigers were ace American Volunteer Group pilots who served under Gen. Claire Chennault. Despite their name, the Tigers’ painted the fuselages of their P-40 aircraft with shark’s teeth, which became on of the most iconimc military symbols from World War II. In China, vistors can pay tribute to the airmen at the Flying Tigers Heritage Park in Guilan.
Old 04-07-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Skydance, Alibaba Team Up on World War II Movie ‘Flying Tigers’
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
@krolljvar
APRIL 6, 2016 | 03:11PM PT

Skydance and Alibaba Pictures are teaming up on the World War II pic “The Flying Tigers,” which chronicles the first American Volunteer Group of the Chinese Air Force that fought alongside the Chinese in WWII.

“Braveheart” screenwriter Randall Wallace is penning the script. Skydance’s David Ellison and Dana Goldberg will produce along with Alibaba.

The Flying Tigers was a group of volunteer pilots from the U.S. Army Air Forces, Navy and Marine Corps, led by Captain Claire Lee Chennault. The film will tell the story of the unique brotherhood formed by the intrepid soldiers.

“This production partnership with Alibaba Pictures on Flying Tigers marks an important next step in our strategy to expand the reach of the Skydance brand on a global basis,” said Ellison. “We could not be more excited to work with the incomparable Randall Wallace to bring to life the extraordinary, untold story of the great commitment and sacrifices made by this courageous group of pilots.”

Alibaba Pictures began investing in Hollywood film with its stake in the 2015 Skydance film “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation” in partnership with Paramount Pictures.
Old 04-07-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Is John Woo still involved?